Author Topic: Easy-care edible ground cover?  (Read 1644 times)

Lilburner

Easy-care edible ground cover?
« on: July 27, 2019, 04:01:28 PM »
I finally dealt with the massive weed tangle on the hill between my lawn and the ditch/road, and I'd like to do something to make it carefree and self-sufficient. My first thought was ivy. It's creeps, stays low,  fills in, and chokes out weeds.

Being a prepper, of course I wondered if there was something edible. So I Googled edible ground cover thinking I might get one or two responses. Instead, I got an information overload. A lot of the results were full-on garden crops. I assume those were meant more for flat ground cover. I really don't want to spend time maintaining plants on that incline.

Any thoughts or experience with a ground cover that would have the easy to no care of ivy but produce an edible plant?
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

SS-Preppers

Re: Easy-care edible ground cover?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 06:48:31 PM »
Low bush blueberries....they are fruit every other year, but better than nothing.

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 10:28:22 PM »
Chickweed, lambs quarters & dandelions are edible (& also good for herbal salves & teas) and if you plant them thickly enough will keep out other weeds.

I know you can buy chickweed & dandelion seeds, not sure about the lambs' quarters but it's worth a search.

And plantain!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

kaelgee

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 08:01:29 PM »
If that is next to a road, it'll take the run off from the road and land.  No telling what's in that runoff.  Best to plant something hardy but not invasive.

joebob

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 09:04:51 PM »
Did you know that kudzu is edible. LOL

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 06:27:14 AM »
My wife said put an herb garden there landscaped with rocks.

I would change the slope to make it more gradual (Less steep) then only plant the road half in herbs with heavy mulch.  Mow the rest as part of the yard.  Now you have extra dirt for your other project.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 06:37:56 AM by RWS »

Abigayle

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 03:17:10 PM »
When we lived in MO., we had an outdoor horse arena.  Black Raspberries kept growing up around it.  I am not sure when they were planted, but we had to do the dirt work for the arena.  Every year, we had to chop them back.  You could not see through them.  They would also make a good barrier to keep out those who went to the mall instead of prepping.....just sayin....  It would look more harmless to neighbors than razor wire.  Yes, I have actually considered that, but my husband nixed it.  Maybe research berries with thorns that grow in poor soil.  Just a thought...
Ariel

YellowRose

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 07:52:31 PM »
Thyme spreads slowly but is hearty and makes a tasty groundcover.  And I second chickweed for something a bit more aggressive.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 06:03:15 PM »
I had a fellow prepper visit today and while talking he mentioned he had used "mint" as an edible ground cover.  You can't deny it won't run everywhere and will have to be mowed to keep it from taking over the front yard.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal