Author Topic: New Clean Water source - Evaporator  (Read 1301 times)

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
New Clean Water source - Evaporator
« on: April 28, 2021, 07:17:31 AM »
(Natural News) Regular access to fresh water is a luxury for more than 1.5 billion people who live in arid locations. On the other hand, sunshine is abundant in these places that lack fresh water. With this in mind, a team of researchers are developing a device that creates fresh water using the power of the sun. The team’s new device can produce water sufficient for a family of four every day.

The solar evaporator system can be produced from inexpensive materials, yet can still show exceptional performance. Between 10 to 20 liters of fresh water daily can be harvested from each square meter of unfiltered water. The researchers’ study, published in Solar RRL, also indicated that the resulting potable water registered a salinity level well below 50 parts per billion.

https://www.dcclothesline.com/2021/04/27/highly-efficient-solar-powered-evaporator-promises-up-to-20-liters-of-fresh-water-daily/

Fixit

Re: New Clean Water source - Evaporator
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 07:59:40 PM »
Sounds like a needlessly high tech solution to a problem that a low tech solution solved many years ago. Air wells.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_well_(condenser)

nj_m715

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 09:51:34 PM »
it says it sits on the water, I was picturing a solar still

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_still#/media/File:Solar_Seawater_Still.svg

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 05:33:16 AM »
At my new BOL there is a small spring.  Florida44 sent me a link to a kit I can install to pipe up the water.  There is plenty of head with a small flow.  I am planning on using a RAM pump to pump the water over to a cistern.  From the cistern to a standard pressure tank.  I think the RAM pump will work well as any water that shows up will get pumped.  The cistern can overflow to a pond via a 3" drain pipe.  And I don't think I would want a large box floating on my small pond.  I plan to raise Rainbow trout.  NOW in about 3 years when the site is developed, it would make a good over night campout and fishing trip.  At 3000 ft should not be too hot in the Summer time.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 06:22:25 AM by RWS »

crplhood

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 09:43:17 AM »
This is likely neither innovative or novel, otherwise it would already be in production. Solar sills and desalinization is a known combination, but most areas where they are most effective have too much heat in the air for effective sills. Further, creating that temp gradient between the air (to cool the sill) and water is difficult with the surface temp of the water.

Here's for hoping it's a breakthrough, but I'm skeptical. It's easy physics, but in practice it's another ball game.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 06:09:21 AM »
Every day we see more signs of a severe drought.  Please look around and secure your water supply.  Below is taken from the latest ARRL news letter talking about lake Mead.

At maximum capacity, Lake Mead has a water level of 1,220 feet,
according to NASA's Earth Observatory. On August 5, 2020, Lake Mead sat
at 1,084 feet above the mean sea level. This year, it's at 1,040 feet
above sea level.. NASA has said this could be the worst drought in the
region in 12 centuries and that water levels must stay above 1,000 feet
to continue providing hydropower at normal levels.
(https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lake-mead-lake-powell-dead-pool-status-un-power-water-shortages/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal