Author Topic: Members Preps/area reports on available goods  (Read 56737 times)

Abigayle

Re: Members Preps/area reports on available goods
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2020, 01:44:16 PM »
W.H.O just raised  threat level to "Very High", level four.  There are not enough masks, test kits, or health care workers.  They are suggesting that we not buy the N95 masks, but to leave them for health care providers.  They are trying to limit information, so as not to panic the "general public"... I am thinking there are a whole lot of people out there that need to take things more seriously, instead of laughing at this... I am getting a lot of eye rolls.  That will stop, as I am staying home...  Back on topic, we called our local Harbor Freight in Griffin and was told they quickly sold out of the masks.  The woman said that people were buying lots of them.  Some people call them hoarders, I call them beat me to the punch, smarty pants'.  They still have the protective eyewear from 2.75-5.00 range.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 02:03:55 PM by Abigayle »
Ariel

Fixit

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2020, 03:08:35 PM »
Did a walk thru at the local Wal-Mart. All was fine other than dried beans were a little low . On the other and had a customer co.e buy the feed store an get a mother worth of feed instead of 2 weeks worth.

8greenbeans

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2020, 11:42:27 AM »
I get a months worth all the time. Actually I get a month's plus one so as to build up supply.

Been to store everyday. Still no one looking like they are doing anything differently than normal day to day shopping.

USMC Veteran
LEO & USAF Vet Mama
Navy MIL
Army Daughter
8 Beans + 1 BonusBean
9 GrandBeans
4 Beans-in-law + 3 Future-in-laws
1 MrBeans

primitive

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2020, 11:21:09 AM »
Water getting low at Costco in Brookhaven.

cope

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2020, 01:27:46 PM »
went to Sams club in macon georgia today. No hand sanitizer. plenty of lysol and Clorox though.

tlwagg

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2020, 01:50:49 PM »
I talked to someone I know who works at Sam's today. She told me that this weekend was just like Christmas. They were packed and sold out of Clorox wipes and Lysol, it was the same at Walmart. Sam's did have some gloves left. She also told me that a Chinese family came in back in January, their two son's were wearing mask. They told her the boys had tested positive for the virus but weren't sick so there was nothing to worry about. I don't know anymore than that.

I needed lunch meat and checked while I was at Publix. They had a few bottles of wipes left, no Lysol. I think people are beginning to to worry. I did see a lot of toilet paper in carts.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2020, 07:23:47 AM »
Panic buying has not yet hit my area;however, it appears in Seattle it has started.

https://twitchy.com/greg-3534/2020/03/03/smoke-some-weed-and-chill-panic-shopping-hits-seattle-over-coronavirus-fears/

PS:  I went to town to pick up a couple of prescription re-fills.  I stopped by Wallyworld to get a couple gallons of distilled water 88c ea.  I use it in my solar water heating system.  While there I saw a small, thin lady climbing on her buggy to reach gatoraide bottles from way back on the shelf.  It looked to me that she had moved all of the shelf contents into her large buggy.  So naturally I asked her if she liked lemon lime gatoraide.  She said what.  I said that is gatoraide is it not.  She said, just stocking up--- you never know and made her escape from me pushing the cart down the isle.  I was sorry I did not take my camera. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 01:29:33 PM by RWS »

John Galt 1

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2020, 03:52:49 PM »
Cedartown & Cartersville WalMarts are both well stocked on everything EXCEPT 25lb bags of sugar.  Plenty of 10lbs so I picked up 2 but seriously, who preps 25lbs of sugar...……..except for us? ;)
Bee keepers! They need to feed their bees during the winter.

Yep,    The warm weather we had a month ago woke my bees up early and the queen is laying.      This means more bees eating the honey reserves long before the flowers start blooming.    I checked my bees 2 weeks ago and found that one hive had already starved so I'm now buying those 25lb bags of sugar when they are in stock for $7.88.      Ten hives can easily go through 50 lbs a week.      During the mid spring if sugar water is set out in 5 gallon buckets I've seen those 10 hives go through 35 lbs of sugar (10 gallons of sugar water) in a day.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2020, 04:27:47 PM »
Cedartown & Cartersville WalMarts are both well stocked on everything EXCEPT 25lb bags of sugar.  Plenty of 10lbs so I picked up 2 but seriously, who preps 25lbs of sugar...……..except for us? ;)
Bee keepers! They need to feed their bees during the winter.

Yep,    The warm weather we had a month ago woke my bees up early and the queen is laying.      This means more bees eating the honey reserves long before the flowers start blooming.    I checked my bees 2 weeks ago and found that one hive had already starved so I'm now buying those 25lb bags of sugar when they are in stock for $7.88.      Ten hives can easily go through 50 lbs a week.      During the mid spring if sugar water is set out in 5 gallon buckets I've seen those 10 hives go through 35 lbs of sugar (10 gallons of sugar water) in a day.
My blueberries are blooming.  I saw one honey bee.  If there is one now there will be more soon.  Last year the first bees on the blueberries were yellow jackets.

Abigayle

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2020, 04:33:13 PM »
RWS, my first bees last year were carpenter bees, then, a few wasps, finally the good bees!  A pollinator is a pollinator, so whatever comes early, is welcome here.
Ariel

Abigayle

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2020, 05:20:10 PM »
Left the house for the first time in about two weeks.  I wore gloves and went early.  Walmart in Griffin had few shopper at 10:30.  They seemed to have plenty of everything.  One exception, no boxed bone broth and just a few of the boxed chicken broth.  There were only three half gallons of organic milk, with an expiration date of 4/9.  We had plenty so I let it sit.  I did pick up some fresh veggies, that we are not growing right how ( or to say they are not producing yet.). They had a wall of flu and pain reliever, right where you walk in the door.  Usually that is full of snack food.  I did see a fair amount of toilet paper in the few carts, and shoppers in the pain relief section.  I didn't check it out.  Thought I was home free. when checking out, the woman in front of me told the cashier that she hoped she would feel better soon....Lots of spraying wiping and washing stuff when I got home...

Starlady

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2020, 05:41:12 PM »
Just back from a shopping trip at the local Wally World for more alcohol & a few gallons of milk.  $376 later, I'm still putting it all away, LOL.

Every brand & size of Vit C is gone, no pinto, lentils or navy beans but a few smallish bags of black & kidney beans left.  I have plenty & can grow, so not worried there.  25lb bags of sugar stocked back up, I got the last two 1lb containers of any kind of salt.  Rice was abundant, but only a two containers of any size or brand of hand wipes; most of the Lysol and other brands of sanitizing cleaners were gone, but plenty of bleach.  Most everything else in the food sections were pretty well stocked & the other meds/vitamins - you might not find your brand of, say, coffee but there was lots to choose from.

Most of what I spent was on what I consider luxury items & things I can't grow here or things I can make, just don't want to right now - can live without but felt like spoiling myself today.  Lots of black olives, green stuffed with garlic (a good way to get an antiviral into yourself!) or pimento, extra razor blades, lots of celery, expensive gooey cookies, ice cream, more work boots, tons of sour cream & cream cheese (which can be frozen), etc. and 4 more bags of dog food.   

The 3 trash cans in the poultry yards each have 75 lbs of feed and there's 25lbs in the protected buckets. Picked up 50lbs of starter feed for the 5 hatched chicks this week, more on the way!  I might get more on Friday if things don't escalate.

I'm going to guess here that average folks outside of Metro are used to storms, electric outages, etc. and probably already have more than a few days of food, paper goods and medical supplies stored up.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

BennyMG1

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2020, 07:49:12 AM »
We did our bimonthly shopping yesterday. I did not notice any shortages on food items in Wally World but the antibacterial wipes were "wiped out". The commissary was out of Spam but I think everything else was okay.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Abigayle

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2020, 08:51:40 AM »
Joe Bob, H.F. cleaned out of protective glasses the same hour you posted the above. Last night, I got a community post, showing Wally World shelves at 9:30 p.m.  There were two containers of some kind of cleaning supplies on one long shelve.  This person said other shelves were empty as well.  So get this, the guy captioned it with "Did a Snow Storm Come Through Here That I Didn't Know About?".  He seriously, judging by the rest of what he wrote, had no idea why they shelves were empty.  I am guessing he is an X-box junkie.
Star Lady, since you confessed buying feel good foods, I will also.  Yesterday, I picked up some salmon and scallops.  Also some fresh veggies that I don't have growing right now, green beans, egg plant.  Oh, and my little carton of tomatoes to go with our greenhouse lettuce, were rotten on the bottom.  I usually check closer.  Hope thinking of seafood that was not in a can, doesn't make me less of a prepper.  Don't kick me out of the group, please.
Ariel

tlwagg

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2020, 10:30:46 AM »
As for feel good foods, I keep cocoa one hand because it doesn't go bad. That way I can have chocolate anytime I want it.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal