Author Topic: Members Preps/area reports on available goods  (Read 56816 times)

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: Members Preps/area reports on available goods
« Reply #150 on: April 29, 2020, 11:47:43 AM »
I drove Miss Daisey to 4 grocery stores this morning.  We did not need anything, but she just wanted to shop the sales and otherwise just get out for a while.  We did get 2ea 5lb bags of grits.  They were buy one get one free.  Also their rotisery chickens were on sale, we got 2.  I purposely drove by the loscl Tyson chicken plant and the parking lot was half full.  I also saw a full truck of chickens headed to the plant.

There is a lot of work in gardening.  We are picking English peas every other day.  When picked, you are not done.  Then they must be shelled, washed, blanched & bagged for the freezer.

ProGeek

« Reply #151 on: April 29, 2020, 12:31:00 PM »
How many peas did you plant?  What's your expected harvest?
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

Lilburner

« Reply #152 on: April 29, 2020, 12:52:19 PM »
Liburner, did they have cleaning supplies, like lysol spray? wipes??

I didn't look. I got what I went for, (shelves), and cruised through the meat department to grab some coldcuts and cheese.

I'm normally a somewhat recreational shopper, but more of a "get in and out if I have to go in at all" mode right now.

Unrelated to Sam's, though - pulled into a dollar General to do some stuff on my phone, and people were walking out with big packs of toilet paper.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #153 on: April 29, 2020, 02:28:05 PM »
How many peas did you plant?  What's your expected harvest?
I planted one 60 ft row.  I will most likely get 20 packs for the freezer this year plus a few meals fresh.  Not as many as last year for the same amount.  It varies with the weather and where I plant them.  I rotate garden spots.
I planted as many as I wanted to pick.  I used my own seed saved from previous years.  "Goma" peas.

PS: I can bring some seed to the seed swap at the Summer picnic.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 06:24:12 PM by RWS »

Gunner

« Reply #154 on: May 01, 2020, 01:13:52 AM »
We have a store call IGA, kind of and Independent Grocery store, there are 4 in a 3 county area.  I go there and get the 30# bags of sugar and the 25# bags of salt for pickling and the 40# bags of rice.... we were lucky enough to get two of each put up over last summer so we are doing good on that front.  I also went in and bought 3 1# bags of beans.... 1- Red kidney beans, 1- Black Beans, 1- Navy bean/white beans... so we've gone back and got some more of those and vacuum sealed those and put them in the storage area. Our larder and freeze dried stocks are doing good.... but luckily, we haven't had to dip into them to heavily yet.   
U.S. Army Signal Corps
U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
KK4KUB
Region 7, Georgia

tlwagg

« Reply #155 on: May 01, 2020, 04:03:38 PM »
A neighbor just posted this on Nextdoor:
We own a family sized manufacturing company in Atlanta. We are beginning to start bottling our own hand sanitizer. The sanitizer is World Health Organization approved and contains 70% alcohol. We can package the product in various sized bottles and/or packings. We are looking to market this product to individual families and small business owners. Curious how many out there would be interested in purchasing this product from us?

For an 8oz bottle, the price is: $5.99.
We can offer discounts for bulk orders.

If anyone is interested I can see about putting an order together. I know we're spread out but I could see about a meet up or shipping.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

tlwagg

« Reply #156 on: May 04, 2020, 01:33:14 PM »
I know this isn't in our area but I talked to my sister in Indiana yesterday and she said there was no meat in the stores. She and her husband only go shopping early during senior hours and she told me that both supermarket and Sam's hand NO meat at all.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

aces

« Reply #157 on: May 04, 2020, 02:32:11 PM »
Yes, media has been talking about a coming meat shortage if processing plants stay closed.  That is why Costco put purchase limits on meat since people were running to stock up on meat. 

aces

« Reply #158 on: May 04, 2020, 08:34:12 PM »
I know this group likely has the TP needed.  But I am hearing it is easier to get in stores now.  Tonight I was able to pick up a 12 pack at Kroger that I ordered foe a friend last night thru their app.

Abigayle

« Reply #159 on: May 08, 2020, 01:36:11 PM »
This Wednesday, I gloved up, donned my mask and headed for Kroger at 2:00 p.m.  I thought this would be a slow time.  Here is what I found, or didn't find...
I snagged four six packs of Kroger brand tonic water, for 2.50 each.
There was no toilet paper, paper toweling or what we consider Covid-19 cleanig Supplies, such as lysol spray, closed wipes.  I did get Kleenex on sale for 10 for a dollar. 
So get this, as I approached the meat department, everything looked full.  Then I realized that the whole beef and chicken section was fill with different hams, pigs feet, odd cuts of pork all frozen.  There were two packages of chicken, but drumsticks, in the fresh chicken section.  That was it.  The beef had two packages, each with two small streaks, and two packages of shaved raw beef, nothing else.  There was ground turkey.  The seafood dept had salmon, shrimp, crab, and a few stuffed potatoes.  The noodle section was completely empty with the exception of one lone box of something called Maruchan Yakisoba, Teriyaki beef flavor.  My granddaughter tells me this is one of the basic foods groups.... There were places marked for tons of this stuff in different flavors, but not another box.  That whole isle was pretty much empty.  Pizzas were picked over.  There were two five pound bags of some off brand flour on the shelf.  No canned cream corn or peas.  A box of bond broth was 5.00, that used to be apron 2.50.  The girl that checked me out said that she had been unable to get any cleaning supplies or toilet paper.  None had come in that week.  I got one bottle of two bleach available, Kroger brand, on other bleach on hand.  I felt guilty, as I have enough, really, but thought someone I know might need one.  There was plenty of bacon, lunch meat and cheese.  The fresh veggies were if fair shape, not wonderful.
Ariel

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #160 on: May 08, 2020, 01:57:33 PM »
We just got back from Kroger S. Macon & I75 Hartley Bridge Rd.  There was no pork or pancake mix.  Wife got the last box of complete pancake mix.  Lots of tonic water 5 or 6 brands.  The size bottles I got were 2 for $3.00.  They had ice cream on sale so we loaded up.  Whole milk was $1.69 & eggs were $1.09 a dozen.  They had most things however there were lots of empty space.  On the + it appeared they had extra help unpacking & stocking shelves.

workhorse

« Reply #161 on: May 08, 2020, 11:18:42 PM »
Work for Wally World odd things we are out of. Sewing machine go as fast as toilet paper, vacuum cleaner guess everyone’s using theirs more often and they are all wearing out. Bikes can’t keep in stock especially larger sizes. Hardware every one is fixing something or making something. Ammo,toilet paper ( the stickers just leave it on pallet go to break come back in 15 minutes and pallet is empty and they didn’t have to put anything on the shelf). Any stable food ramen is a big one. Coolers usually full of meat specials by the dairy case full of apples and oranges. Will add others as they come to me. Oh yes seeds and vegetable plants almost all gone.

Starlady

« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2020, 06:02:21 PM »
Well, I sure didn't time that trip well!  Sam's in Rome was out of what I wanted:  more beef, Vit C & tp.  Lots of 'Limit 1' signs on meds, cleaning supplies (altho no sanitizing stuff was available) and convenience foods (mac n cheese, frozen items).  Plenty of milk, eggs, butter and fresh veggies.  Only canned veggies available were corn and peas in regular cans.  The #10 cans of fresh are just too big for me - but they had some on other veggies.  No tomato paste at all, just diced. 

Very few gloves but lots of masks worn, the usual couple under the nose, lol.  Pretty good distancing.

I bought more white vinegar, huge honking rolls of commercial tp, corn, smoked beef sausage, baby aspirin, dog food, laundry detergent and a ton of healthy snacky things.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Abigayle

« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2020, 07:34:48 PM »
When I was at Kroger, they were out of creamed corn (I like to throw some in homemade soup, like chicken soup). There were no canned peas.  Just like here, a friend in WI. told me there were no noodles, or Mac and cheese at his two stores.  He could not find chicken of beef.  There seems to be plenty of seafood available around the country and here.  I would love to find lysol spray, for mail and boxes.  Maybe if I ventured out more than once a month.  I have read that black pepper corns for grinding, might be the next thing that will become hard to find, along with Vitamin C, which you have seen, is leaving the shelves.  Maybe it is the China thing, as most is made there... Whole other issue...
Ariel

YellowRose

« Reply #164 on: May 12, 2020, 08:29:48 PM »
For those looking for tonic water, there is a place on etsy that sells mixers for sodastream machines, that has a quinine tonic water offering.  And its concentrated, which is a plus.  No idea the dosage of quinine in the water.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/795819381/top-hat-east-india-tonic-syrup-quinine?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=tonic+water&ref=sc_gallery-1-1&plkey=19bd4c00d85faab4487a454e18d511d7ed08bcb1%3A795819381

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal