Author Topic: CANCELED: SEPN Spring 2020 Camp out  (Read 6307 times)

Starlady

Re: SEPN Spring 2020 Camp out
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2020, 09:22:29 PM »
Ok, I'm remembering this from Hannity this afternoon:

This has been in use for over 80 years, practically all over the world, virtually no side effects or conflict with other meds, except possibly pregnancy - he wasn't sure.  No drug works for everyone so maybe your Dad was allergic to it, or yes, accidents happen and he was over or underdosed.  You can't look for it, it's prescription only in this country.

Hope that helps.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Abigayle

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2020, 09:42:07 PM »
Good to know, thanks, Star Lady.  Dad lost his hair, but it came back.  I remember mom used to put hot olive oil treatments on his head.  She probably made the old onion whiskey drink that was so near and dear to our hearts...
Ariel

Starlady

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2020, 10:24:50 PM »
You know, since you mentioned the onion, I've been wondering about onion & garlic this week.   Onion, specifically because of the Sulphur content and, if I remember correctly, it has been used for a lot of tropical diseases but also a lot of winter ills.... But that will be research for tomorrow, I'm beat and heading off to bed...…...and away from news! 
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Lilburner

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2020, 11:11:43 PM »
Kinda the elephant in the room at 5 weeks out is whether to move forward with the campout.

My inclination is to keep our fingers crossed, hope for the best, and move forward. There's no real investment in the site, and worst case we could lose the Porta potty money if it goes too late.

Even a small turnout would be enjoyable for those who can attend.

Maybe scratch presentations so no one feels obligated?

Thoughts?
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2020, 11:33:42 PM »
I don't see much of a possibility of this getting better by then & unless they come up with a miracle cure..... most of us are high risk in one way or another.  But we could wait until the end of March at least.

nj_m715

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2020, 11:37:16 PM »
I hate to miss it again but if it were today I wouldn't go

BennyMG1

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2020, 07:37:20 AM »
I’ve heard that some hospitals are canceling leave amid this mess. Our hospital has not, but we are already working short nearly every shift. Between that and the fact that the base may be closing. The Commander and I are tentatively preparing NOT to attend the spring campout. Hopefully things will be better by the time the fall campout rolls around.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2020, 07:50:17 AM »
Kinda the elephant in the room at 5 weeks out is whether to move forward with the campout.

My inclination is to keep our fingers crossed, hope for the best, and move forward. There's no real investment in the site, and worst case we could lose the Porta potty money if it goes too late.

Even a small turnout would be enjoyable for those who can attend.

Maybe scratch presentations so no one feels obligated?

Thoughts?
This will be on the downhill slide in another 7 days.  Then travel restrictions will start to ease up.  So in 4 weeks we may be OK.  I am planning a trip for 4-20 and stop by the campout on the way home for a couple of nights. 

Lilburner

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2020, 10:21:36 AM »
It's such a fluid situation. And I'm an optimist.

It could really bring us down, or it could turn a corner and resolve with lightning speed.

Apparently, according to journalists, Trump has found a cure and commanded that "everyone go eat all the aquarium cleaning chemical in their home because one of the ingredients sounds similar to something being tested".

For no more than we have invested, how bad would it suck to cancel, have the whole thing resolve, and then be stuck without?

I can't make a prediction, but I'm hopeful.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2020, 10:32:15 AM »
Not to be too much of a pessimist but remember:

Most of us are high risk,
The 'miracle' cure will be in short supply for awhile,
This virus will still be around - all these measures are doing is 'flattening the curve'.

Is there a time limit for cancellation & refund or do we lose no matter when?  If we lose anyway, we can wait right up till the week before.

Lilburner

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2020, 11:14:11 AM »
There is no money tied up in the site.

Will likely get a report on the Porta Potties contract on Wednesday. Losing Porta Potty money would be the worst case, and I believe unlikely.

I also believe we have enough money on hand to miss an auction and even still sponsor a summer event and get us through to the fall auction (bring double! 😂).

I just think we're uniquely situated, with no real investment, to hold out hope for something that has even a small chance of bringing immense joy at a perfect time.

Worst case, we can look at making our summer event earlier in the year (presumably another "indoor cookout" since last year was so great) - like more toward June than August, to balance out our quality time together.
~ Daniel Webster

Farside

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2020, 11:30:07 AM »
I'm waiting on ordering the porta potty until we know if we have to change the dates or not.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2020, 04:30:26 PM »
The President's plan is to have America open for business by Easter.  That is a week before the campout.  There is hope.

Lilburner

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2020, 09:30:56 AM »
We talked about this last night and no one sees a way forward for the campout.

Does anyone? While we as a group tend to keep camping equipment prepared, it's getting time to start planning menus, activities, load-in etc.

My gut says we'll have good treatment by then, but will still have transmission.

Can anyone make a case for keeping it on the calendar before we pull the plug?
~ Daniel Webster

nj_m715

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2020, 09:43:46 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal