Author Topic: Meet your webmaster  (Read 1881 times)

Lilburner

Meet your webmaster
« on: July 26, 2015, 11:47:02 AM »
Hi all!

Hard to believe just two short years ago I didn't even know there was a name for what I did - "food hoarding gun nut communications junkie backyard engineer" is kind of a mouthful.

I'm the webmaster here which just means I run the site from a technical perspective - I'm not management. They don't pay me enough for that. (No one gets paid, but that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it)

Here's my original introduction from the old GPN site circa 2013 (Wow! I  didn't even have a radio!).

Greetings from Gwinnett. I'm a prepper, apparently

Hi all from SW Gwinnett County. Some of you may be able to further pinpoint my location from the secretly coded information in my username.

Well Apparently I'm a prepper, so I may as well go ahead and embrace it. Can you be an "accidental prepper" or an "overboard hobbyist prepper"? I'm not sure what I am, but it took someone else telling me to even notice it myself.

I've ALWAYS ALWAYS picked up an extra canned good at the grocery store on every trip, or some rice or peanut butter or whatever, which, OK, MAY have wound up occupying the better part of their own room. And since Ice storms actually happen... duh I have a generator and backup heat. I'd never really thought of there being a name for that. "Grown-up", maybe?

But SUPPOSEDLY, if along with that, your hobby just HAPPENS to be that you're a firearms enthusiast and Federally licensed collector with a few dozen firearms and *COUGHCOUGH* ammo (hey - there are are a lot of different calibers, and everyone knows Feinstein is still alive and kicking, right?)... that makes you some kind of crazy doomsday prepper.

So - here I am. what's next? Is there a secret handshake or a plaque or something?

Since I'd never really considered myself a prepper and paid attention to that from that angle, I have some glaring holes. I don't have much water, and I need to rethink my fuel situation like going to tri fuel for the generator. and I'm curious now about ham radio. (I'm a huge internet junkie, so that would be the next best thing).

So anyway - hi again and hope to see y'all around. Sounds like a great resource for everyone.

Oh - did I mention I have a bunker? Seriously - That was unintentional, too. when I bought the house it was just - "oh, that 500 ft2 room in the basement will be good for tinkering. It wasn't really until later I noticed it was 100% below grade and only accessible down a 15 ft concrete hallway. I don't think that was really helping my cause with the whole "Dude, you're totally a prepper!!" revelation.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 10:56:34 PM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal