Author Topic: Storing Food For Your Dog  (Read 1178 times)

Abigayle

Storing Food For Your Dog
« on: December 28, 2020, 09:03:40 AM »
Since our thirteen and a half year old Doberman went over the rainbow bridge this fall, we donated our long term dog food and gave some to neighbors.  I said no more dogs.  We were heartbroken....Not the first time either.....
So, in Nov. I started looking at rescues.  Long story short, Max, a 90 lb German Shepard is coming to join us this Friday.  I have ordered a months worth of the food he has been eating in his foster home.  I am looking for suggestions on long term storage.  Realistically, if we are lucky, he will live around seven years.  I know that people catch fish in their ponds and after cooking them, give the skin to their dogs.  That is one small source, while the supply lasts.  Of course, we have lots of eggs.  Our dog loved cooked vegetables, so, another source.  But, a 90 lb dog burns lots of energy, when not laying in front of the fire.  When things go south, he will have to help patrol.  Would blue barrels with dry ice be as good as anything?  What types of things do you store for your dogs?  How do you store them?  I am going to order extra shampoo. I have a toothbrush for him. Of course I will know more once he is here awhile.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  Do certain brands store better? 

ProGeek

Re: Storing Food For Your Dog
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 10:05:19 AM »
Abigayle. "no more dogs". I see that worked out. We keep about 3 months of store bought food on hand. We prefer the premium brands that have meat as the 1st ingredient. Cheap brands are mostly corn or wheat. I would not store more than 6 months of store bought food. The fats in it can go rancid. You can make your own with rice, chicken, eggs, veggies, fats, broth and it's better for them. There are lots of recipes online. A 90# very active dog should get 3-4 cups a day, not all at once. For less active dogs 3 cups is more that enough. If you follow the feed bags recommendations you will get a fat dog. We have lots of rice, eggs, canned chicken and veggies. If need be, we will make our own food for them. The veggies and broths should be no salt added. Salt is bad for dogs.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 10:38:39 AM »
Start slowly with the eggs if you feed them!   My Shepherd mix will stink up the house if I feed more than one a day, it's really awful.   Other than that, I'm planning the same as ProGeek but will mix in the human food little by little during the last month of dog food.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Abigayle

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 02:08:30 PM »
Thanks for the above feedback.  I really need some on storage.  I am thinking big blue barrel with dry ice..
Ariel

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 09:58:43 AM »
Shortages Getting Worse As Global Supply Chain Crisis Enters Ominous New Chapter

All of the shortages were supposed to be gone by now.  During the first half of 2021, the blind optimists were assuring us that by the end of the year the pandemic would be over, the spike in inflation would have proven to be “transitory”, the global supply chain crisis would be resolved, and the U.S. economy would be booming.  Of course the truth is that none of those things happened.  In fact, overall conditions are even worse than they were six months ago.  Now we are heading into 2022, and even the optimists are finding it difficult to say anything positive about the coming year. 
What is 2022 going to look like if global supply chain problems continue to intensify?  Not since World War II have we seen anything like the long-term shortages that we are now experiencing, and for many people this has been deeply frustrating.

https://dcdirtylaundry.com/shortages-getting-worse-as-global-supply-chain-crisis-enters-ominous-new-chapter/

John Galt 1

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2021, 09:35:16 PM »
About 5 years ago we tried to see how long basic dogfood and chicken feed would last through a Athens GA year.        Bought the food in the late summer, probably early September. and stored in the garage.    Producer's Pride chicken pellets from Tractor Supply in a plastic bag was eaten well until early late July the next year before the birds just were barely eating any so 10-11 months.

As for Dog food I got Purina One and Alpo dried food.      The dogs were turning their noses with the Alpo dry up around mid July so 8-9 months.     The Purina One was still being eaten but not as robustly the next September so roughly 12 months.

Not very scientific but my contribution to this discussion.
We don't put a ton of effort to store animal food more than 6 months.       Every late September we'll buy 5-6,months' worth of feed,     around January adding another 3 months worth.      But after mid-April we don't buy big on animal feed until the weather cools again.       There's just too much oil in dried dog foods and I suspect the "real meat" premium dog foods have even more oils.

If you're serious about long term dogfood preservation (12+ months) I'd suggest a big energy efficient chest freezer.       The people who may join us if a long term SHTF develops have been told to not bring any pets.        Some have offered to store extra pet food here but I say no, too much trouble and expensive in energy cost to store it.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

Abigayle

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 10:16:39 AM »
Good suggestions, John.  Those of us who feed our pets a little too well may want them to adjust to a little less food.  We have cut our 120 lb Dutch Shepard down a smidge, and he is looking quite dapper. It is also better for his hips and other joints, since he is now six years old.  Since he has been chasing the football with the grandkids, he is going longer and resting less.  I really need to follow his lead. 
Although he is a part of the family, he stands ready for duty.
Ariel

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal