Author Topic: Prepper Camp 2021  (Read 3354 times)

upacreek

Re: Prepper Camp 2021
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2021, 01:40:19 PM »
My 4th year is in the books. This was as good as the other years. I’m very new to homesteading stuff. I’m further along with the stereotypical prepping stuff. This camp has stuff for anyone, but especially people trying to get information on a new skill (or 20 new skills). It’s 3 days of classes with 6 classes a day (each class period has 7 to choose from). In between, before, and after the classes you’re surrounded by other preppers and homesteaders. You can talk to people you’ve listened to on podcasts or saw on TV and they welcome you to pick their brains.

My highlights from this year are:
Ham radio - I’ve had my general license for years and don’t even know how to turn the stupid thing on. Any idiot (me) can pass the test. The instructor had a set up at his booth area and gave demonstrations and advice all weekend.

Survivor Jane’s Prepping Priorities- it reminded me an awful lot of my statistics geek late husband’s six sigma exercises we did when planning for the big expenses/projects in our lives. SJ just put a prepper spin on it.  It’s a simple planning tool that I’d forgotten about that makes tough decisions pretty easy to decide. Plus, her sense of humor makes it fun to listen to.

The mushroom guy - supposedly he threw the presentation together in just a week or so. Clearly he knows more about mushrooms in his little finger than I’ll ever know. My biggest lesson learned was that there are an awful lot less poisonous mushrooms and deadly lookalikes than I imagined. I’ll be heading into my woods with some full color notes or books soon.

There were a handful of self defense classes with sticks, knives, guns, and bare hands. I’m biased and get more out of the ones taught by women since they tend to have a bit better insight to what works for our kind. An added bonus was landing near one of our own group people (or boyfriend of one) during some hands on demonstrations. We got his bits of advice and demo as we practiced. He patiently put on a lesson for at least 3 of us as the actual instructor tried to help as many of the 40 or so in class as she could get to.

Soap making - sad to say Starlady took the time to make soap and do a similar class (without the slideshow lol) a few years ago and I sat on the info. I got all the materials back then and they’ve never made it out of the tote I stuffed them into. It was neat to see a different way of doing it and refresh my memory on the important things. I’m hoping to make some soon.

Brain Tanning hides - as seen on tv. Lol. I just got done binge watching 7 seasons of Alone. This seemed like a good course. She certainly simplified things to cram it into an hour class, but it looks like something I’d like to try after I learn how to hunt, field dress, process. Dammit - long road. This planted a brain squished seed.

Get tickets for next year probably around Black Friday.

One more fun thing added this year - I got to volunteer at the registration booth. That gave me some time to talk to a few of the people that put it together and pick their brains. The only downside was that I felt guilty every time they kept thanking me for it (which was a lot). I only helped a couple hours out of the thousands of man hours that probably go into it and I got a hell of a lot more out of it than I gave. 

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Abigayle

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2021, 02:37:23 PM »
Up A Creek, as usual, great information.  Now, where can I view "Alone". Thanks!
Ariel

robcho

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2021, 03:04:14 PM »
I think I have seen it listed on discovery + app. They have history Channel on it.

upacreek

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2021, 12:45:24 PM »
Abigayle , thanks. I saw it on Hulu. I know I’m missing the latest season though. Hopefully it will show up later.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Abigayle

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2021, 02:47:37 PM »
I watched a little of it last night and decided that I have a hard enough time catching a chicken, and this stuff is way out of my league....There was a time, but that ship has sailed....interest show..

Surveyor1

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2021, 02:50:31 PM »
I watched a little of it last night and decided that I have a hard enough time catching a chicken, and this stuff is way out of my league....There was a time, but that ship has sailed....interest show..

Lol, that’s why you have a “Thor”!!!  😎🤔😎
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal