Author Topic: CB Radio AC to DC transformer / Converter...  (Read 1545 times)

RevJammer

CB Radio AC to DC transformer / Converter...
« on: January 30, 2021, 10:19:24 PM »
I picked up a CB Radio and want to install it in my garage (for the time being).  I haven't fooled with CB's for many years, but I know I need a transformer.  Any recommendations on a small inexpensive AC to DC transformer to run this little jewel?

RJ

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: CB Radio AC to DC transformer / Converter...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 05:13:43 AM »
A good way to go is to use a 12VDC battery and small solar panel with a small charge controller.  Conventional DC power supplies do no work when the grid is down.

Abigayle

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 10:09:56 AM »
RWS- do you think the 100 watt Harbor Freight solar kit will be enough for this CB project?
Ariel

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 11:56:55 AM »
RWS- do you think the 100 watt Harbor Freight solar kit will be enough for this CB project?
Yes,  As you are not relying on the solar panel capacity to run the radio but to charge the battery.  So just as long as it is a decent sized battery it will work.  100 watts PV is oversized a bit but will work great.

RevJammer

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 06:56:10 PM »
I guess I wasn't clear enough... this is a temporary thing.  I'm looking for an AC to DC converter/transformer that will be adequate for a CB.

Thanks for the ideas, though!

RJ

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 07:04:43 PM »
I guess I wasn't clear enough... this is a temporary thing.  I'm looking for an AC to DC converter/transformer that will be adequate for a CB.

Thanks for the ideas, though!

RJ
If you live close enough to Dalton, Ga.  They have a Hamfest Feb 27th (Get there early) with a great bone yard (Flea Market) for all types of radio stuff.

tlwagg

"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Country Singer

“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

Fixit

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 08:06:10 PM »
I stayed out of this tell now but sense this is a temporary set up i would just take a 12 volt battery and put it on a trickle charger. We used an old radio out of an ambulance that way back in my EMS days.

RevJammer

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 07:17:26 PM »
I stayed out of this tell now but sense this is a temporary set up i would just take a 12 volt battery and put it on a trickle charger. We used an old radio out of an ambulance that way back in my EMS days.

Exactly what I decided to do...   

RJ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal