Author Topic: New to Region 2  (Read 5672 times)

BennyMG1

Re: New to Region 2
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2022, 10:16:25 AM »
Beautiful wood stove, but I couldn’t help but notice there was no price. Kinda scary
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2022, 10:30:27 AM »
Yeah.  I just sent them an email for more info.  They say they have an info packet.  And a price estimate and could they deliver by April 2023 currently out of stock as the manufacturer is moving the factory to a new location.  The fun begins.   I will see what I get back.

YellowRose

« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2022, 01:08:09 PM »
Somehow I missed this thread.  Welcome to North Carolina!  Your BOL looks awesome!  Sounds like you are farther west than I am. 

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2022, 11:33:11 AM »
Well checking further on the Elmira stove.  The two propane burners are only available on the 48" model.  Also on the 48" model they can take out the fire brick on the right side wall and install a tubing coil to heat water.  At my home in region 8 I heated water in a SST tank mounted to the inside wall of my wood stove.  When you do this you must have a load as the water gets so hot that it pops the P&T valve on you water heater.  I put pex tubing under the floor and held it up against the floor with aluminum plates screwed to the under floor layment.  If you ran the wood stove all night, in the morning you could walk on the kitchen floor in your bare feet and feel the warmth.  That was in addition to the fact that the central heat would not cycle on all night long.  So you can see why I really wanted this stove.  The first problem is cost.  $8000+ with 50% down non-refundable.  The expected delivery is over 1 year.   Then I could not figure how I was going to get it upstairs and thru a 36" doorway.  So I will just have to look for another solution.  A cheaper one I hope.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2023, 07:39:54 AM »
I am still trying to decide what to put in the kitchen.  The Elmira stove is out.  Since this is a BOL I am trying to decide what would be best, propane or electric.  If I had a lot of room I would put is one of each.  I found a propane stove 30" with an electric over.  That is a possibility.  I also have found a 20" electric range and a 20" propane range.  All kinds of possibilities.  Then this popped up in the news:

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/01/feds-consider-ban-gas-powered-stoves-address-pollution-problem/

That's all we need!!

Abigayle

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2023, 09:18:09 AM »
If it were me, I would get the gas and hook it to the propane.  If I had room in my kitchen, I would put in a wood stove with a water reservoir.  People used to keep the whole family clean, while warming that water and adding it to a tub next to the stove.  Younger kids would get the water first, since they were not as dirty as the teens, from farm work.
If Biden lives long enough to pass that bill, our gas/propane stoves will be grandfathered in.  I have a six burner.  Also had a six burner propane in the last house. We are still breathing.  Yesterday, my stove was on for three hours, almost straight through with canning. No one is taking my stove!  Not a fan of electric.  Pulling out a stove to hook it to solar would be a trick and energy that would be needed for other things. A stove would suck down your batteries quickly.  These are opinionated expressions of an old woman, who has cooked since she had her own kitchen at age 21.  It's good you are thinking things through, since everything, no matter what size, is getting so costly.  Mistakes are expensive and that money could be better used.
Ariel

Surveyor1

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2023, 10:29:43 AM »
Geez Abigayle when you talk about being old I get a vision of your wearing fur, simmering wooly mammoth in a caldron over an open fire!😳😳😳.  I’m guessing you are not that old, right???  🤔🤦‍♂️😎…. Btw - I really enjoy reading Thor’s hieroglyphics that he painted and carved into the wall! 😜😂
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Abigayle

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2023, 10:42:14 AM »
Surveyor 1...If I have asked you once, I have asked you a thousand times, to stop peeking in my windows!  Keep it up and I will cut you off from my secret brew recipes:).
Those on here that know me, can tell you....I am old.
Ariel

Surveyor1

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2023, 11:24:17 AM »
Surveyor 1...If I have asked you once, I have asked you a thousand times, to stop peeking in my windows!  Keep it up and I will cut you off from my secret brew recipes:).
Those on here that know me, can tell you....I am old.

😂😂😂 - btw the voodoo mix worked pretty good, thanks! 
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2023, 12:39:13 PM »
Abigayle,  If I have to go to wood cooking I will just use the rocket stove I have.  On a sunny day I will have enough solar to run an electric stove.  The problem is the location has 5 cloudy days in a row very regularly.  The cloudy conditions has resulted in my increasing the number of solar panels and up sizing the battery bank.  I will need to charge an electric vehicle on sunny days as cloudy days will be doubtful.

Abigayle

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2023, 01:20:25 PM »
I have a large rocket stove, which would hold a stock pot.  I bought one that was meant to use with it, so the fit is good.  Nice thing about the woodcock stove in the house is that it serves many purposes.  You can  bake, keep warm, and cook more than one thing at a time.  It would take the same amount of wood, to heat the water right along with it.  I miss my wood cookstove, can you tell?
Everyone's lifestyle is different. I try to look at the situation, like I will be without electric for a year.  My mind will not allow me to wrap my thought process around a longer time period.
Region 2 does have fewer sunny days.  It also allows you to capture more rain water, if you need it.  Weather patterns are changing, as evidence will prove in my frozen greenhouse.  We pays our money and we take our chances.  I wonder what our feelings will be looking back one day.  Maybe I will wish we had traveled more....
Ariel

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2023, 06:34:11 AM »
I am still trying to decide what to put in the kitchen.  The Elmira stove is out.  Since this is a BOL I am trying to decide what would be best, propane or electric.  If I had a lot of room I would put is one of each.  I found a propane stove 30" with an electric over.  That is a possibility.  I also have found a 20" electric range and a 20" propane range.  All kinds of possibilities.  Then this popped up in the news:

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/01/feds-consider-ban-gas-powered-stoves-address-pollution-problem/

That's all we need!!
Now we find out the World Economic Forum is behind the push to get rid of gas stoves.  I guess if Europe does not have the gas to run a stove then the rest of the world should ban them.
The abrupt push by Democrats led by the Biden Regime to ban gas stoves has enraged and confused Americans across the country. The good news is we may have found the primary culprit behind the push and it’s connected to the World Economic Forum.

RedState.com, which first broke this story, points out prominent Democrats and liberals never demonstrated an iota of concern over gas stoves before. Not even noted low-IQ Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), who made an utter fool of herself by claiming a study shows gas stoves are dangerous to brain health.

Abigayle

« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2023, 10:43:02 AM »
A.O.C. didn't even know what a garage disposal was when she accidentally turned one on in her new kitchen.  Put her in a bag with pothole Pete, shake them up and drop them down a sewer.....Green new deal at it's finest.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2023, 05:51:37 PM »
Well I have the kitchen designed.  I have decided on the GE gas stove convertible to propane (since I have a 1000gal propane tank).  The wife wanted a self cleaning oven and it even comes with "Air Fry".  I like the big griddle in the middle.  I think it would work for a plate warmer so during cold weather my food would stay warmer longer.  5 burners should work for canning.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-30-in-5-0-cu-ft-Gas-Range-with-Self-Cleaning-Convection-Oven-and-Air-Fry-in-Stainless-Steel-JGB735SPSS/314138082

I plan to knock out a wall and expand the kitchen to hold the refrigerator and bottom kitchen cabinets with all drawers.  No top cabinets over head but a shelf 18 to 20 " above the counter top.  On the back wall will be 5 ea 120V outlets for microwave, air fryer, bread machine, coffee pot and toaster.

Well I am going to go and dream a little more.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2023, 07:45:54 AM »
Went to the Dalton Hamfest last Saturday.  Went up Friday and stopped by the BOL to drop off 26 blueberry bushes.  We got them planted then went around driving stakes in the ground where we plan to plant fruit & Nut trees.  I wrote the name of each type tree on the stake.  When we got home I got online and ordered 2ea almond trees, 2 hazel nut trees, 2ea pecan trees, 2ea pear trees and 2ea apple trees to be shipped this Spring.  I am having them shipped to the guy that will plant them for me as he lives right down the road.  It is hard to have stuff shipped there because of the narrow single track road in and me not being there full time along with not having cell phone service.
I carried up a couple of salads in a tote sack and gave them to the neighbors.  Each sack (grow bag) was a legacy tomato plant in the middle with a ring of lettuce plants around it then a second ring around the outer perimeter of "Candy" onions.

I found a pineapple pear tree that I was looking for and ordered it also.  That means I will have 3 pear trees.  That will be enough for the whole neighborhood to can for a years supply.  Maybe next year we can work on peaches, plums and grape vines.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 06:01:10 PM by RWS »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal