Author Topic: Foxglove / Digitalis  (Read 898 times)

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Foxglove / Digitalis
« on: April 15, 2021, 06:03:51 PM »
My wife tells me that digitalis is made from Foxglove.  I saw her fox glow blooming and asked what it was.  Anyway here is a picture.  I am off to read up on foxglove.
Wikapedia says,
"Digitalis is a genus of about 20 species of herbaceous perennials, shrubs, and biennials commonly called foxgloves. This genus was traditionally placed in the figwort family Scrophulariaceae, in 2001 it was moved to Veronicaceae after phylogenetic research, but more recent phylogenetic work has placed it in the much enlarged family Plantaginaceae. This genus is native to Europe, western Asia, and northwestern Africa. The flowers are produced on a tall spike, are tubular, and vary in colour with species, from purple to pink, white, and yellow. The scientific name means "finger". The best-known species is the common foxglove, Digitalis purpurea. This biennial plant is often grown as an ornamental plant due to its vivid flowers which range in colour from various purple tints through pink, and purely white. The flowers can also possess various marks and spottings. Other garden-worthy species include D. ferruginea, D. grandiflora, D. lutea and D. parviflora"

Ravenwood1950

Re: Foxglove / Digitalis
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 09:45:56 PM »
Your wife is very lucky! I try to grow the darn things and can never get them to live. :(
Ravenwood

Fixit

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 11:03:05 AM »
We have to glove growing in the herb garden . yes its the source for digitalis. In pill form digital is is easy.to OD on but normally in a whole herb form it will cause you to vomit before you overdose.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 01:08:56 PM »
Your wife is very lucky! I try to grow the darn things and can never get them to live. :(
Ravenwood
I was reading where foxglove is very hard to start from seed.  The seed needs to go through a cold period before sewing. (freezer) Also sometimes it takes two years to germinate.  I guess the wife was lucky to get three to germinate from a pack of seed.  On the other hand it said you could take a 2 to 3 inch piece of root and start one from that.  It is a perennial so it will come back each year after dying back for the winter.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal