Author Topic: My Old Inverters  (Read 1627 times)

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
My Old Inverters
« on: April 09, 2021, 12:21:17 PM »
I have an OLD set of stacked Xantrex SW2548 inverters mounted on my attached garage wall.  I started hearing a hum coming from the top of two horizontally mounted inverters.  Well I kept procrastinating on shutting down the inverter and see if I could clean the fan and get a mfg's name and part number.  Today with the storm fast approaching and I was relegated to stay inside, I bypassed the inverters with the bypass switches and powered them down.  Don't know how many years it has been since they were powered down last.   I found the manual and looked for a parts list, no luck.  There wasn't even anything in the manual that mentioned a fan.  After getting the covers off I could not find a fan, but marveled how clean the inside was.  I was still hearing a fan roar.  Mounted just above the top inverter is an Iota 54.4V 15A battery charger.  It has a fan and that was the fan hum I was hearing.  No problem I have a spare charger in the shop and also another just like it in 12VCD.  I will order a new fan from Iota and clean the dirt off this one to see if it quietens down.  While I was looking at them I looked at the mfg date because I don't remember how OLD they are.  They were manufactured in 2004 so that makes them about 17 years OLD!!!
You can see in the first picture the top inverter with the Iota battery charger above it.  The fan is on the bottom of the charger.  The outlet beside the charger is powered from my Shop system.  When plugged in there I can charge batteries from shop inverter power.  When plugged into the wall outlet where it is now, I can top off my batteries before an approaching storm using grid power.  I use a DC circuit breaker to turn the charger on and off leaving the power cord plugged in.  That is why I was hearing the fan.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 07:45:01 PM by RWS »

RWS

• Bugged Out
Re: My Old Inverters
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 09:44:53 AM »
I got a reply back from Iota.  They do not sell replacement fans, so they sent me a link so I could get it off the internet.

https://www.amazon.com/AD0824HS-A70GL-ADDA-24V-120mm-Fan/dp/B08TR8TVCQ/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=ADDA+8025+AD0824HS-A70&qid=1617990842&sr=8-11

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 03:01:56 PM »
I use 8A8D Batteries.  2 series strings of 4 = 48VDC.  The strings are mounted on carts and I can roll 1 cart out at a time and unplug them while the system runs on the single string.  I removed the wooden box cover today to inspect them.  It has been over a year since I put an eye ball on them.  They looked pretty clean.  I checked the date on them and it said 4/17 so that makes them 4 years old.  I got 7 years out of the last set.

Abigayle

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 03:48:49 PM »
Very impressive job, R.W.!
Ariel

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 06:57:12 AM »
My fans came in yesterday.  I ordered 2 so now I have a spare.  I changed out the old fan and all in now in working order.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal