Author Topic: Lumber is Really High!  (Read 1462 times)

Surveyor1

Lumber is Really High!
« on: May 14, 2021, 10:44:59 AM »
I had to scale down my projects🤦‍♂️🤔😳.
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: Lumber is Really High!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 11:18:09 AM »
Yes, I know !  My builder said he could only build cost plus !!

Rockhopper

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 09:55:04 AM »
If you have trees you can fell, time, and some muscle you can mill your own lumber. You'll need one of these:https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200679135_200679135

On the following video just click at the 8 minute mark to get past assembly and into use. In this video he uses aboard as his guide but I use an old ladder due to it's intrinsic straight edges since boards aren't typically as straight as formed metal.

https://odysee.com/$/search?q=chainsaw%20mill

And you'll need a big chainsaw with a good selection of bars. I use a Stihl 660 which is a big heavy honking thing especially when I have the 36" bar on it. I know a guy that was looking at buying a portable bandsaw mill but he said the wait was 1 & 1/2 years to get one. I'm not sure what manufacturers he was looking at. He said he has a barn project planed and the lumber kit went up from $4200 to $81,000 from pre-covid so he was looking at getting a saw mill to harvest his own from his property. Here's one from harbor freight for only $2200

https://www.harborfreight.com/saw-mill-with-301cc-gas-engine-62366.html

A few considerations though. Before buying the harbor freight model I'd want to know about blade availability; that is: is it a common size or an odd ball size you can't find anywhere else. Also check out videos on assembly since these logs can be very heavy and hard to get onto the mill platform for cutting unless one has a sizeable tractor with a loader or forklift. The best setups for these portable mills that I've seen mount the mill on a trailer and make it a towable. Still with this method one would need to have a way to get the log onto the cutting platform which could be done old school with rollers and a comealong.

Some final considerations are that a chainsaw mill is very portable and can take it anywhere including places where you can't get the other ones including the deepest darkest woods. Also you would still need a chainsaw to fell the trees anyway so if in the market for one of these then may consider upgrading to a somewhat larger size although a 660 is not entirely necessary unless cutting/milling the fattest diameter trees.

Lilburner

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 03:09:45 PM »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Surveyor1

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 03:52:05 PM »
Now that one Lilburner really cracked me up!  Thanks for the Monday humor!  Now if you could find one with Willie Nelson saying “hold my beer” game would be on!  Which brings up my next thought.  If pot is so bad for you why is Willie Nelson 88???
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Surveyor1

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 03:54:32 PM »
Yep!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal