Author Topic: Tomato diagnosis?  (Read 359 times)

Lilburner

• Webmaster
  • Bugged Out
  • Gen. Class
    • http://www.arrl.org/ares
    • http://www.georgiacarry.org/
Tomato diagnosis?
« on: May 24, 2021, 08:57:30 PM »
Harvested my first two tomatoes tonight.

The tops were split on both of them. The biggest one split while it was still green. The other appears to have split in the last couple of days. Any ideas?

Also, ALL the tomatoes in my raised bed - the lowest layer of leaves are yellow. Two different varieties. Celebrity and Roma. Any thoughts what's going on? Should I cut the lower layer off?

Seems like I read somewhere that too much water will make tomatoes split. I run the sprinkler 20 minutes twice a day. At 7 and 7. Does that sound like too much? Maybe just once a day?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 09:37:01 PM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

RWS

Re: Tomato diagnosis?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 05:29:16 AM »
Tomatoes like any other fruit will split if it gets too much water.......

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
    • http://www.georgiacarry.org/
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 08:48:07 AM »
Unless they are in pots, they don't even need to be watered every day - watering a little twice a day or even once a day encourages shallow root growth.   Water deeply every 2-3 days in a drought (I'm over 2 weeks with no rain here).  Frequent watering also encourages that yellowing disease from soil splash.   Go ahead and cut those leaves off near the stem to promote better air flow.  Dip the shears in alcohol when you start on a new plant.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Abigayle

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 08:22:32 PM »
All good advice, also, if you mulch under your plants, when it rains or you water, it keeps the dirt from splashing up. the combination of soil and water can help promote several tomato diseases.  Cut off any stem growing straight down, or those that appear flimsy. All they do is rob the better part of the plant of needed nutrients.  I like seaweed based fertilizer or one with fish oil.  The pioneers learned to bury a small fish, or bones under each plant.  Pretty sure that came from the Indians.  Good luck!
Ariel

crplhood

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 11:08:08 PM »
Yep, all good advice above. I use the finger test: let tomatoes stress until just beginning to wilt, stick my finger in the dirt a few inches from the root ball to determine at what depth I feel moisture. This is my stressed depth. My goal for the rest of the season is to keep moisture just above this point, allowing the top soil to dry until that point in between waterings. Most of my plants are in 2 foot tall raised beds, so this is every 2-4 days for me for tomatoes.
GA Adopt-a-Stream Monitor, Upper Etowah Alliance, Coosa River Basin Initiative, Student (for life), Cisco Certified Mystery IT Guy (what does that IT guy really do all day, why is he so pale, and why does he get his own office?). My daddy could beat up your daddy. steveinit.wordpress.com