Author Topic: Holes in preps?  (Read 2625 times)

BennyMG1

Re: Holes in preps?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2021, 11:20:27 AM »
Thanks! Good info
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Surveyor1

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2021, 11:26:24 AM »
Found a few more interesting articles about septic tank health.  The 2nd article addresses things such as Drano.  I did not know this about the use of chemicals for clogged drains.  I guess a small amount can be harmful?

https://www.hunker.com/13410443/what-are-the-effects-of-bleach-on-a-septic-system

https://inspectapedia.com/septic/Septic_System_Chemicals_to_Avoid.php
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Surveyor1

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2021, 10:40:14 AM »
Mouse traps and rat traps.  Can be used for the obvious but also has many other purposes.
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

John Galt 1

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2021, 11:22:22 PM »
Stupid little extras like,,,
hair combs/brushes,     shampoo,    suntan burn blocker,      gloves,     grease,    degreaser,    laundry detergent,      shoe-goo to repair shoes,      sewing supplies,      safety pins,     mouse traps,     disposable razors for first aid,       heavy duty scissors,      string,     electric tape,     trowel type roof cement,    Lexel caulk (which can replace shoe-goo),        lightweight wool socks (I prefer Darn Tough brand but expensive),       Athlete's foot powder/ talcum powder,       butane,     extra garden hose (assuming pressurized water),     heavy hoe,     plumbing supplies,     toothpaste and floss...

'nuf said. 
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

Surveyor1

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2021, 12:09:03 AM »
Nice complete list Mr Galt, thank you!

Abigayle

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2021, 10:41:15 AM »
I wasn't sure where to put this, but since we moved to an area a ways from town with lots of trees around us, we are getting high quotes from Direct TV to add things to the house for reception here.  We don't even have internet here, and have bought a hot box.
Have any of you put up an antenna, or had better luck with less expense?  Our yard is open but tall trees surround all of the yard on .  We have been hearing of Star Link.  Have any of you had any luck with that one? It would be nice to have a service that isn't knocked off line, every time a small storm comes through.  Any help would be appreciated.  We are an hour east and a bit north of our former location.
Ariel

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2021, 10:56:33 AM »
I am on the waiting list for Starlink so I can do an evaluation as my BOL does not have any coverage.  Then I just got a letter form Middle Georgia EMC said they were putting in fiber internet service for all their customers.  That is 1 to 2 years out, but sign up now.  Your EMC may follow suit??

Abigayle

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2021, 11:09:28 AM »
Thanks for the update R.W., sounds like a long wait for all of us.  Have you heard of Nomad? Living Traditions Homestead on U-tube are trying it.  They tried Hughes Net and it did not work.  It was also very expensive to. cancel.  They are near Ava Missouri.
Our phone reception is terrible as well, we currently have Verizon. 
Ariel

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2021, 12:20:26 PM »
Welcome to the country !

Starlady

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2021, 12:50:31 PM »
Abigayle, I have had fairly good luck with Hughes.net.   It does go offline whenever very heavy cloud cover or widespread rain is between the dish and the satellite, but they all do.     In Georgia, that would be south, as it's an equatorial satellite, IIRC.   It does set back up as soon as it can get a connection, though.   It's nowhere near as fast as cable - so get that out of your head, lol.   And if your phone can do wi-fi calling, most of the dish services are too slow for a decent connection.  That's why I'm going with Star Link.

A LOT of the 'new' internet companies are using cell phone lines (some give you a new line, others let you 'hotspot' off your existing phone - so be careful).   If you have crappy cell service, you'll have crappy internet.  Read the fine print.   All of them require a time commitment and yes, it will be expensive to cancel.

AND, as with any dish or cell service provider, you HAVE to have a clear line of site to the satellites or towers - trees, hills and buildings will interfere with the signal.

I have signed up for Star Link - the estimated time on the last email was sometime between June and October.   Reports are that it IS faster and more reliable - and you can set the receiver dish up wherever you can find a fairly clean line to the satellite.   Fewer dropped service issues with clouds and storms, faster recovery.   Setup is very easy.    I'll post when I get it.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Abigayle

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2021, 04:14:54 PM »
Thanks for the help.  I think we will contact Starlink, as we have been hearing good things.  We don't have a basement, but we do have an attic, so maybe we can come in that way.
Ariel

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2021, 07:25:04 AM »
Listen to the first 25 minutes of today’s podcast (below) and give yourself 10 points for each of the 10 preparedness areas you have covered (such as home food production, backup comms, community networking, etc.) If you score 70 or better, you’re well prepared! If you score under 50, you’re behind the curve and need to take steps to get caught up.

Brighteon.com/56022d39-6ccb-4c42-b812-eb9cbe2f8d92

https://dcdirtylaundry.com/preparedness-pop-quiz-merck-busted-covering-up-aborted-human-fetal-cells-european-nations-ban-covid-vax-for-younger-people/

Surveyor1

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2021, 03:57:04 PM »
Just found a hole and plugged it!  Corn starch, not just for cooking as it has so many uses.  I found some $.02 per ounce cheaper than these but they were in boxes so I would have to repackage.  These containers should last awhile and since the shelf life is indefinite (as long as kept dry and bugs out) I thought this would be more convenient.

*Update - this is actually cheaper per ounce at Walmart in a 16 Oz container - .108 vs .131 per ounce.*

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0762T1B74/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3H63QICP6WB8B&psc=1
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 04:45:54 PM by Surveyor1 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal