Author Topic: Whatís that one thing.  (Read 688 times)

BennyMG1

Whatís that one thing.
« on: May 28, 2021, 10:45:52 AM »
Many of us have been prepping for a bit and have learned a lot. When I first started prepping, I looked at all the list and read the books and so forth. What Iíd like yíall to do is to think of something (one thing) that you prep, that isnít popularly mentioned in the basic lists and books. Iím hoping this post might help someone, fairly new to prepping, get some good ideas.

Iíll start:  ALUMINUM FOIL

Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

RWS

Re: Whatís that one thing.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 12:08:33 PM »
I not only use aluminum foil in food preparation but I use it to wray up my extra electronics so that I can store them in a metal 55 gal drum.  In this way I hope to have enough parts to cobble together a working solar electric system.

SS-Preppers

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 08:02:16 PM »
Heavy weight 1 gallon or larger zip lock bags.

Abigayle

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 08:47:56 PM »
Along with garden seeds, I store garden supplies.  I keep extra covers for both bug barriers (light weight summer) a mid weight cover for plants during those surprise light spring frosts and heavy covers, to get a head start in cold weather growing outside.  These come in especially handy when you get spring fever in January and find yourself with six inch long squash and tall tomatoes....ask me how I know... Along with this one this, one must include steel hoops and lots of staples to keep the cold and wind out.  So, my one thing is a grouping, but I can not help it....  If you can't get food and have to grow it early for anything fresh, these are must haves in my book.  Thanks for starting the list! I am sure I will learn a thing or two..
Ariel

coastiemike

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 11:10:01 AM »
I keep 25 pounds worth of each major type of spice in Mylar bags.  Not only will it come in handy when I cook up all those emergency food kits and the like, but leaves plenty of extra for trading and bartering if it comes to it.

Abigayle

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 12:58:43 PM »
Here is one from Thor.  He doesn't get on here, but I keep him posted.  He made an additional purchase of these items this past week.  You can find them on Amazon...Oh how I dislike having to use them!
Dentek- temparin max repair kit.  Use for temp repair for crowns and filings (it says caps).  Maximun hold, instant pain relief, quick set, long lasting. There is a no mess applicator tool.  There are 13 plus repairs in a small package.  It has the same ingredients that dentists use, including eugenol.  That is the pain relief ingredient. If you don't have the filling material, you can take a small cotton pallet  dip in euginol, and stuff into the cavity (referring to any hole in tooth, not for decay only).  Dentek  should not be used if there is throbbing pain, ulceration or swelling in the affected area.  Wouldn't this make a great bartering item?  It is very small.  Todays price is $5.80 for a three pack...
Comment on storing lots of herbs... they are easy to grow in clay pots to have lots of fresh and will last a while in winter indoors.  Thyme and sage are two of my favorites, if I had to choose....so many good ones, depending on your culinary preference.
Ariel

Gunner

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 11:39:45 AM »
I have added a small supply of copper.  Its in both bars and rounds.  I keep it because it could become a barter item in place of gold or silver.  And it can be melted down to make shotshell shot and other others or to make repairs to several items.
U.S. Army Signal Corps
U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
KK4KUB
Region 7, Georgia

Surveyor1

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2021, 02:01:54 PM »
I have added a small supply of copper.  Its in both bars and rounds.  I keep it because it could become a barter item in place of gold or silver.  And it can be melted down to make shotshell shot and other others or to make repairs to several items.

Good call Gunner!  Iíve thought the same but been too busy stacking silver!  At this point I would say that you are probably much smarter than myself!  Iíve thought about it but not done anything, kudos to you for your foresight!😎!
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

tlwagg

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2021, 07:44:42 AM »
We've been saving copper pennies for almost 40 years and have a HUGE jar of them. They're getting harder to find now but I check every penny that comes in the house.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Fixit

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2021, 12:22:36 PM »
Copper I have . one of the side benefits sticking your hands in starters ,alternatives and electric motors all the time.

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2021, 07:45:10 PM »
Metric and standard bolts, nuts and washers. after every build in the garage i save the best bolts. I also pick them up at yard sales. I have many bins and they have saved my butt so many times.
Psalms 127:3-5 3Children are indeed a heritage from the LORD,
and the fruit of the womb is His reward.
4Like arrows in the hand of a warrior,
so are children born in oneís youth.
5Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
He will not be put to shame
when he confronts the enemies at the gate.

Gunner

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 01:24:08 AM »
I was in Harbor Freight, (one of my favorite stores), and I saw some of the premade kits, ... like cotter pins, and I bought two.  The next time that I went in I added O-rings....  The last time I was in.... I bought 2 of the refills for my wire crimping kit.  Its not much, and I dont know if I'll even use them... but I have them, and they might become a barter item to some one else.
U.S. Army Signal Corps
U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
KK4KUB
Region 7, Georgia

Searchboss

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2021, 11:59:03 AM »
All good suggestions! I would add shoes and/or boots. I have a hard-to-fit shoe size and cannot find them in stores. For me, this is a must-prep item. For most folks, it is something that we all take for granted. It is a good idea to have an extra pair of good work boots and walking shoes on hand. I have also added some clogs. While not really a fan of them, they are easy to put on and take off if you need to go outside for some reason. (I'll let you imagine why you might need to do this, especially in the middle of the night.)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal