Author Topic: Best rifle for new preppers  (Read 1977 times)

BennyMG1

Best rifle for new preppers
« on: June 08, 2021, 07:05:15 AM »
Let’s assume I am new to prepping which means I’m starting from scratch. This also means I’m having to spread my budget out over several aspects of prepping at one time. Assuming I have no firearms, what would you suggest as being my first rifle purchase? Take into consideration current conditions.

My personal suggestion is a semi-auto Marlin Model 60 .22 cal. They can still be found for reasonable prices, ammo is still available and can be found in both HP and ball, they are good for taking down small game (and even larger game with knowledge and practice) and they are lightweight and easy to carry. Not to mention, parts are readily available and reasonably priced. They are also easy to work on should the need arise.

Let see your suggestions.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Lilburner

Re: Best rifle for new preppers
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 12:15:32 PM »
It's like anything else. Priorities and compromises.

Model 60 certainly wins on budget. I pick them up for $100 or less. That's a fine rifle. More accurate out of the box than a 10/22. And in your scenario, I assume you're not building it for accuracy.

The next step up would be the Marlin 795, the detachable magazine variant. Quicker to load, and lighter since they're all synthetic.

If you're wanting to hunt small game mainly, and want to forego deer hunting and self-defense, I'd move up to a 22 magnum. CMR 30 is the new hotness. I have two of them just so I can keep them configured differently. A bolt gun or an old semi would be more budget-friendly options.

If you want to add deer and self-defense, just go to the AR-15. Probably a little overkill if you want to concentrate on squirrels and rabbits. Some would say underpowered for deer, but marksmanship goes a long way. Plus the light weight and low recoil make it a fine choice for youth and women to share.

You know what they say.“Like the Swiss Army Knife, the popular AR-15 rifle is a perfect combination of home defense weapon and homeland defense equipment”

That's if you're going to have just one rifle. If you want to start small and work your way up, definitely a .22.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

nj_m715

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 01:27:25 PM »
while not the cheapest I like the AR too
decent firepower w/o recoil, tons of aftermarket options
it's modular so upgrayyeds are easy
you can change the upper/barrel and have a completely different gun
you can change the bolt and fire .22 for cheap plinking/training

for dirt cheap with a lot of versatility my favorite rifle is a 12ga shotgun

buckshot for hunting/ home defense
slugs for longer range, 50-100 yrd
birdshot for cheap plinking / small game / training

another plus, you can reload shot shells without equipment, just a punch and a block of wood
pump guns can run black powder for even cheaper reloads
bp can be made at home for under a dollar a pound

Wileycoyote

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 09:40:16 AM »
A firearm is a tool, not a talisman. It matters less which is your first and more that you get training and practice.
( Appleseed is awesome training for very little money)
That being said, get a shotgun first. A shotgun is the most versatile firearm you can own- bird shot , buckshot, slugs, rocksalt, flechettes, flares, beanbags.  Just make sure you set up a giant paper target to pattern different loads at different ranges.
Second, a.22. lots of .22s have advantages over the 10/22 out of the box, but none has more modifications and accessories. so, get a 10/22. Then learn and practice.
Eventually, everyone needs an AR-15. A shotgun and a .22 can keep you fed and defended. An AR-15 keeps you free. Get training and practice shooting at longer ranges as well as shooting and moving with your local 'crew'.

ProGeek

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 12:19:41 PM »
I catch greef for not owning and AR. Yes, they are nice, light, an easy to fire, but they are also in danger of making you a felon when they get banned. They are effective against humans, but not so much game animals. I prefer something chambered in a hunting round like 270, 30-06, 308, 7mm, etc. Mostly non-military rounds. 308 is mostly used for hunting in the USA and 30-06 is not used by military's anymore. These pack quite a punch at a long distance. If you prep for being in a fire fight at your house with AR's you have already lost.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

Surveyor1

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 12:49:58 PM »
I catch greef for not owning and AR. Yes, they are nice, light, an easy to fire, but they are also in danger of making you a felon when they get banned. They are effective against humans, but not so much game animals. I prefer something chambered in a hunting round like 270, 30-06, 308, 7mm, etc. Mostly non-military rounds. 308 is mostly used for hunting in the USA and 30-06 is not used by military's anymore. These pack quite a punch at a long distance. If you prep for being in a fire fight at your house with AR's you have already lost.

So in a SHTF world what you are saying is that we should not worry or prepare for the very distinct possibility that people that did not prepare may come and try to take away our supplies?  In my opinion if you don’t prep for the possibility of being in a fire fight on your property then you will surely lose.  Desperate people will do desperate things when desperate!  I try and have faith in humanity but I also know what I am capable of doing to keep my family safe and I actually have a moral compass! 

I would suggest taking the 5 minutes to read this article from a survivor of Bosnia 1995.  He lived it and saw the worst of humanity.  As for myself I will prep for any and all scenarios in order to keep my family safe and fed. 

https://www.prepperfortress.com/bosnia-war-survivor-warns-of-things-to-come-in-collapse-of-america/
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 10:28:35 PM »
I had a ss model 60, nice little firearm minus hard trigger pull. Winchester has some very nice .223 64gr soft point that should have no problem dropping southern deer, i use these in my load out rig but truthfully always hunt with my .308 or 25-06. But back to topic i would pick a rifle for private sale k98, .303 enfield, 30-30, .270, .308 or .30-06 bolt action. Iv had no issue picking up ammo for any of these but the last three are in more abundance for sure.
Psalms 127:3-5

Gunner

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 02:40:22 AM »

Im a little confused.... If I own it and its not a crime.... How will I become a felon for owning one later?
U.S. Army Signal Corps
U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
KK4KUB
Region 7, Georgia

nj_m715

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 03:44:51 PM »
owning a bump stock was legal, then it magically became an illegal machine gun
owning a standard capacity mag in NY was legal, now its a crime

theres a long list of things that were once legal

Farside

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 07:41:51 AM »
Back on topic.  If I had to start over, I'd still go with a 10/22. (poor mans assault rifle) What other .22 has 25 or event 50 round mags?

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2021, 09:30:13 AM »
Back on topic.  If I had to start over, I'd still go with a 10/22. (poor mans assault rifle) What other .22 has 25 or event 50 round mags?
I will answer that.  A Keltec CMR30 is a 22 magnum that sports a 30 round clip and you get a spare when U buy the CMR30.  Now if you also buy a PMR30 pistol you get 2 more clips with it.  Oh, they have rails to add accessories. How can you go wrong?  But don't shoot the CMR30 cause it is addictive.  You better have lots of ammo!

https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearms/rifles/cmr30/

bountyhunter

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2021, 10:14:52 AM »
There is no right answer or an answer carved in stone. Buy, what one can afford.
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)
"Never miss the opportunity to train"

Abigayle

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2021, 08:56:39 PM »
And buy what you can handle and use like clockwork when awakened from a sound sleep... Keep several in places where you are most likely to need to grab one..  If you have kiddos, keep their safety in mind.
Ariel

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal