Author Topic: Local raw timber trees?  (Read 1760 times)

Lilburner

Local raw timber trees?
« on: June 19, 2021, 02:45:18 PM »
I've mentioned here recently several times how much I like Homestead Rescue, not for the reality aspect, but because of the projects.

A recurring theme is cutting down trees, stripping off the branches and bark, popping them in the ground, and boom - building foundation. Connect them up with a few other trees, and you have the basic structure for any building you can clad with pretty much whatever crap you have laying around.

Some trees they mention that this works for are locust, hedgeapple, osage orange, and cedar. I don't know about all of Georgia, but I don't have any of these except for some scrubby cedars. I don't think I've ever seen a cedar over three inches.

Anyone know local trees this would work with? And if you would treat them in any way?
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Abigayle

Re: Local raw timber trees?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 04:30:35 PM »
We bought some primitive cedar furniture for a log cabin porch once.  About six months late, it started sprouting.... We have some good size cider on the property we just bought, and will have to clear some to see more of the late.  Will keep you posted.  We are not in yet, Monday is the big day.
Ariel

SS-Preppers

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 10:34:52 PM »
Leland Cyprus is better than most indigenous trees.  It is a hybrid of a Monetary Cyprus and Alaskan Yellow Cedar.  It grows very fast as we all know and they are all over, but usually in neighborhoods.  Thanks all I could come up with in this part of Georgia....it your in certain areas of south GA then you may have cyprus, which is far more superior.

Abigayle

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 07:26:59 AM »
Since most people plant Lelands way to close together, you might spot some that a property owner needs thinned out.  They are great for privacy, we had them at the last property. They do get huge.  We have some huge cider that will come off the lake hillside this week.  They will be ground up and spread out, the roots will be hauled off.  We will leave a few for anti-erosion purposes.  Sounds like a huge job that would take four guys on steroids and an adopted kid.
The guy doing our work looks like he could pull them up by hand and toss them to the side. Thor and my son think I wanted to hire him just so I could look at him....Gotta tell you ladies, this is one fine looking dude.  I may be old, but I am not dead....Used great restraint to not reach out and touch his arm...
Ariel

Surveyor1

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 09:03:52 AM »
Abigayle…. 😊😊😊. Too funny!
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

upacreek

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 04:56:03 PM »
I suddenly need some tree work done. (Actually, I do). I need to wait until my dungeon is built. Maybe a trial run?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Starlady

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 10:21:28 PM »
Please just remember that cedar chips, shavings, needles, etc are poisonous to all poultry, causing serious respiratory issues.  This is all the cedar family.   Clean up well and don't be tempted to use them in a coop.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal