Author Topic: Summer Event 2021  (Read 7539 times)

upacreek

Re: Summer Event 2021
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2021, 08:03:01 PM »
Lilburner- I’ll bring tomatoes. They’re ripening quicker than I thought.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

elandil

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2021, 02:15:46 PM »
As much as I hate to miss it, I won't be attending this event.

Since this has went from a member get together to an open Facebook event...I just don't feel comfortable attending anymore.

Y'all have fun and eat a burger for me.
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

Starlady

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2021, 02:32:48 PM »
After much thought, I've decided not to attend the lunch this weekend.   I am not comfortable with this meetup being made wide open on the Face Book Group Georgia Preppers with no notice to the rest of us.   It's not that I'm against new people but we've always had newcomers come AFTER they've been on the site and made a few posts, or had an existing member bring a friend or several.   Maybe the old way wasn't good but I see too many opportunities for folks not to have control over their own OPSEC -  a innocent slip by a longtime friend can give info you aren't ready to share with someone new yet.  And since most of us have been around for quite awhile, it's bound to happen.  Or having a conversation overheard, in our excitement at catching up with each other, which is what I thought this lunch was for (perhaps incorrectly.)

This is my opinion and there's not really anything to debate.    If it had been announced that it was going on FB, I would not have signed up for it.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Lilburner

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2021, 03:12:15 PM »
Can someone provide a link to the Facebook post?
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2021, 03:26:11 PM »
I did a quick search on FB and the Georgia Preppers Group has not had any postings since 2013.
There is a private group, that I am not a member of called Georgia preppers group, last two words in small letters. So I am not sure what the link is.
Ravenwood

PS Wouldn't someone in our forum, here, have had to be a member there to post the invite?

elandil

http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

Lilburner

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2021, 03:38:54 PM »
Oh OK. That's above my level. I'll let the involved parties sort it out offline.

Count me In the "more the merrier" camp, though. I love having new people. I encourage it in my other pursuits as well. Particularly shooting and ham radio.

ETA: Some people won't be able to see it. But the long and the short of it is it was posted by one of our administrators.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Surveyor1

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2021, 03:59:03 PM »
I don’t do FB but I did click on the provided link.  The post is not out there for the entire FB community and you have to be approved to be a member from the the group’s administrator.  Actually even more restrictive than joining SEPN.  Did anyone happen to catch how many members there are to that group?  Not for any reason, just kinda curious. 
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Surveyor1

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2021, 04:02:51 PM »
After a little more digging that group has 2,325 members.  Actually thinking how most people use their own name for their FB account I have to ask, why the heck would any prepper join that group???
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

BennyMG1

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2021, 04:21:18 PM »
So I’m kinda lost here. Did someone from SEPN invite members from a Facebook group to join an SEPN event? Or was the date of the SEPN event just put out there for all to see? I am all for getting new members to join SEPN, but a Facebook group? Can someone please explain to me what happened?
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Starlady

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2021, 04:50:06 PM »
There's a prepper group on FB where one of our administrators (see above) posted all the info regarding our lunch meetup on Saturday and invited anyone who wanted to come (and bring a dish) to meet other preppers.   Obviously, it was basically out there anyway since we are not a private site, although someone would have had to be looking for it.

And I should correct the last statement in my post.   I probably would have come, after thinking about it, if it HAD been announced as a nearly public event in the beginning.   It's probably something we should have considered a long time ago.    I was so looking forward to catching up with old friends and maybe meeting a few new ones that now I'm just not ready to switch to super-duper OPSEC mode.  Just me.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Surveyor1

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2021, 07:52:23 PM »
Truth be told, there will be around 12 people or so there and all of them will be friends.  Hey but it would be cool to have a few “newbies” show up looking for “like minded” but it’s doubtful.  I hope y’all have a great turnout with great fellowship, sorry I will be missing it!

Rockhopper

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2021, 07:03:39 AM »
My wife and I are planning to attend. She will bring a dish of some sort,

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2021, 10:19:23 AM »
I am not going to be able to attend the get together after all. :( I have been having a lot of pain in my right achilles tendon and calf muscle for a week. I often have problems with my achilles tendon area as I had heel spur surgery many years ago and sometimes that area seems weak and I have to wear a boot to immobilize it for several days to allow it heal. I had hoped it would feel better but alas it hasn't.
I am sorry to have to bow out at the last moment and hope all those that do attend will have a good time, drive carefully and stay hydrated.
Ravenwood

Lilburner

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2021, 12:43:03 PM »
Would a wheelchair help? Either for the get together or just tomorrow?
~ Daniel Webster

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal