Author Topic: Rome Apple Question?  (Read 1728 times)

Surveyor1

Rome Apple Question?
« on: July 14, 2021, 09:10:20 PM »
Do they start off green and change to red as they ripen?  (Someone once told me the only stupid question is the one you don’t ask🤔🤦‍♂️😳!).
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Starlady

Re: Rome Apple Question?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 10:15:06 AM »
Most apples start green then ripen to red, yellow or lighter green.   Most of mine aren't ready till late October or early November.   I have Granny Smith, Gold Dorset, Anna and Gala.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Surveyor1

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 10:44:30 AM »
Most apples start green then ripen to red, yellow or lighter green.   Most of mine aren't ready till late October or early November.   I have Granny Smith, Gold Dorset, Anna and Gala.

Thank you Starlady!  Information is a wonderful way to start the day!
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2023, 02:47:55 PM »
If I had only 2 apple trees, then Rome Beauty and Granny Smith would be my choice.

Abigayle

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2023, 03:04:36 PM »
Love Granny and is it Honey Crisp?  I mostly dehydrate Granny and they keep in jars for about two and a half year.  I add cinnamon for the health benefits. Planted a Fugi two years ago, nothing yet.
Ariel

BennyMG1

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 06:31:31 AM »
We love honey crisp also, but they won’t grow here. We have pixie crunch and fugi (I think). The pixie crunches only need 100 chill hours or less. Never had one so don’t know how they taste. We still have several years before ours will produce.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Surveyor1

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 09:55:55 AM »
My Rome, Granny and Golden Delicious have produced very well here in Georgia.  I do think the GD is a little behind the Rome and Granny in production but that tree is 2 years younger.  We did plant a crabapple to help with pollination and it blooms like crazy!  Only problem is that it blooms about 3-4 weeks before the rest🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️…

Abigayle

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2023, 02:41:45 PM »
Benny, A friend sent some Honey Crisp to me, that she purchased at Merciers, in Blue Ridge.  Maybe they brought them in and did not grow them in their orchards.  We had a Honey Crisp in our last orchard, but it was not old enough yet, for us to know that it would require more cold here.  Great apple though!
Ariel

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal