Author Topic: Dehydrated Foods and Other Stuff  (Read 1273 times)

Surveyor1

Dehydrated Foods and Other Stuff
« on: August 03, 2021, 12:31:34 PM »
Right now this is not a particular good deal.  If you check back with either Amazon or Walmart they regularly have these potato shreds for $8.50 every other week or so.  I did the conversion and this can would be the equivalent of 6 lbs of potatoes so at $8.50 it’s a good deal not to mention the 25+ years of storage capability!

https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms-Dehydrated-Potato-Shreds/dp/B00FTEUTMQ/ref=sxts_rp_s2_0?cv_ct_cx=Augason+farms&dchild=1&keywords=Augason+farms&pd_rd_i=B00FTEUTMQ&pd_rd_r=808060b8-87da-4803-b267-dc5d8cab4abb&pd_rd_w=xKyB7&pd_rd_wg=jXGQR&pf_rd_p=c6bde456-f877-4246-800f-44405f638777&pf_rd_r=EY9FCN7JAAX96PV2RXBZ&psc=1&qid=1628007586&sr=1-2-f0029781-b79b-4b60-9cb0-eeda4dea34d6

Also another thought.  Most of us prep sugar and flour.  With the availability of many fruits that grow wild or the blueberries and/or peaches that you may already have, might I suggest powdered butter and powdered milk to your list of staples?  After all, cobbler just isn’t cobbler without butter!  Powdered butter is a little pricey as well right now at about $28.00 but I regularly see it at $18.00 and there is the equivalent of about 6 lbs (I think) in Augason’s #10 can, so $3.00 per pound isn’t bad!  In a SHTF world the ability to make cobbler cannot be overrated! 
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Surveyor1

Re: Dehydrated Foods and Other Stuff
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 01:36:25 PM »
Prepper Cobbler Recipe

Mix the equivalent powdered butter for 1 stick of butter (8 tablespoons) and put in Pyrex dish or cast iron skillet.
Mix the following separately:
1 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder (or baking soda cream of tarter equivalent)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup powdered milk (or whatever your brand of powdered milk calls for to make 1 cup of milk)
1 cup of water
Mix well and pour over butter (do not stir or mix)

Cover batter mixture with your choice of fruit (again no stirring or mixing)
Bake uncovered at 350 for 45 to 60 minutes until golden brown.

NOT RECOMMENDED TO EAT IN FRONT OF YOUR NEIGHBORS THAT DID NOT PREP!!!
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Abigayle

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 03:14:09 PM »
The link is showing double the price...
Ariel

Surveyor1

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 05:03:23 PM »
The link is showing double the price...

Well DARN it was $8.48 when I posted at at 1:17!?!?  I guess they must have got some quick orders at the low price and bumped them up quickly!  Sorry but if anyone is interested just keep checking, they are in the 8 range at some point almost every week!

Surveyor1

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 04:49:12 PM »
At 4:45 PM 8/7/21 was $8.48 again

nj_m715

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2021, 05:53:47 PM »
thanks, ordered some

joebob

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2021, 07:11:07 PM »
Thanks

Surveyor1

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2021, 09:48:53 AM »
Just an FYI, they are still $8.48 as of 9:45 AM 8/8/21.

Abigayle

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2021, 01:45:20 PM »
While ordering a little extra, I Discoverered Auguson  Farms Real instant milk for 18.72, saving 33%. not fifty percent, but a third is o.k.
Ariel

Surveyor1

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2021, 12:22:18 PM »
While ordering a little extra, I Discoverered Auguson  Farms Real instant milk for 18.72, saving 33%. not fifty percent, but a third is o.k.

The reviews on this milk is awesome!  But me being me I had to look at the 1 star reviews on Walmart.com.  They are always good for a chuckle and usually don’t even apply to the product but mostly their own ignorance, for example:

“This can had a metal lid under the plastic lid and was almost impossible to open with an electric opener. This milk had slivers of the metal lid in the powdered milk after opening. Luckily I saw the tiny pieces sticking up in the dry milk.  I hope no one else bought this and failed to see the problem with the metal lid.”

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️   Is it just me or does anyone else think that just maybe this person might need a new can opener?  It would also not be a bad idea to learn the “concept” of a #10 can.🤔

Sorry if it seems I’m picking on this reviewer but in all honesty some people simply deserve it!😳

Surveyor1

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2021, 12:51:43 PM »
While we are talking about Augason Farms products, I want to give a shout out for the Morning Chocolate Moo powdered chocolate milk alternative.  That stuff is awesome!  I have used it making cookies substituting this with the sugar and turned out some great chocolate oatmeal cookies.  Refreshing cold chocolate drink and makes great cocoa!  Not a bad deal at 18 and some change to get your “chocolate fix”!  I’m sure that all of us could live without chocolate but a little treat every now and then is good for mental health in a SHTF world!  (Goes on sale very occasionally so this price is as good as most.)

https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms-Morning-Chocolate-Alternative/dp/B009DD241I/ref=sr_1_40?dchild=1&keywords=Augason+farms&qid=1628613103&sr=8-40

Abigayle

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2021, 01:50:50 PM »
Bought some yesterday when you told us they were back down.  Clicked on them today and they are 24.00. yikes!!!
So the milk reviewer seemed surprise that there was a metal lid under the plastic...How was it to last for 20 years if it was not there?  Always need to keep a couple of hand can openers, at least one unopened, keep the one you use clean and rust free.  Check them out now.....yes people, I am bossy....if they are rusty and gunky, deep six them.  Buy a couple of good ones and don't skimp on the quality, or you too may have metal shreds in your stored food....
Yes, the chocolate milk is wonderful and will be needed as a lifter of spirits.  Coca over the counter stores well. also...
Ariel

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal