Author Topic: I Wonder If This Would Work?  (Read 916 times)

Surveyor1

I Wonder If This Would Work?
« on: January 20, 2022, 05:03:17 PM »
I read this in a prepper fiction book and wonder if it would work?

The people had a 12 ga pump but only had birdshot.  They opened up the crimped end of the shell and poured hot wax from melted candles into the shell and recrimped…. They explained that it would keep the birdshot together when fired until it hit something and then it would separate and spread in different directions!  It made me wonder if this would actually work?  If so that would truly be one NASTY round of ammunition!  Thought on this theory???
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: I Wonder If This Would Work?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 05:51:24 PM »
When bullets are fired, there is heat involved.  They get very hot.  I do not think wax could stand the heat and you would just have the normal buckshot and a barrel that needs cleaning.

Abigayle

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 05:56:25 PM »
So, if you have a daughter or granddaughter, you can spend a whole lot of time on the front porch, cleaning off wax, waiting for her date, so that you can terrorize him.  Yes, this IS the voice of experience.  No, never tried wax and agree with R.W.S.
Ariel

Surveyor1

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 10:19:03 PM »
When bullets are fired, there is heat involved.  They get very hot.  I do not think wax could stand the heat and you would just have the normal buckshot and a barrel that needs cleaning.

That’s what I was thinking but the theory is kinda cool to think about!  Would the initial heat be enough to melt the wax that quickly?🤔
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

nj_m715

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 06:35:53 AM »
it works but you can't just pour in wax, the mass of cold lead cools it too fast, you only cap the shot
you need to heat the birdshot with a small amount of wax, then pour it back in
the barrel is fine, your slug stays in the wad like a sleeve

a quicker easier way is to make cut shells. cut 3/4 of the way around the shell below the shot cup
when fired the top half of the shell gets fired and it holds the shot together
but they dont feed, you need to hand load each one into the barrel

lots of videos on YT if you're interested

Abigayle

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 10:07:55 AM »
Another good reason to keep a nice big chunk of wax on hand.  Hope I never have a need to try this.  It would be late in the game, should that time arise.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal