Author Topic: Bacon  (Read 636 times)

tlwagg

Bacon
« on: February 01, 2022, 11:18:00 AM »
Does anyone have a good DIY bacon recipe. I know some of us have had to make our own bacon. Has anyone had success curing your own?
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Surveyor1

Re: Bacon
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 12:28:17 PM »
Never made Bacon but have made corn beef brisket…. I can say I had great luck dry curing for around a week with Morton Tender Quick cure.  I have seen a lot of info online for using that to make Bacon and the basic concepts were the same just a matter of the rest of the ingredients to add per your preferences.  Can never go wrong with brown sugar and hickory smoke though…. Let’s us know if you try and how it turns out!😎
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

joebob

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 02:27:37 PM »
There are a lot of videos on YouTube on making Bacon.

Abigayle

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 03:14:49 PM »
There is a very good recipe on Modern Survival Blog.  It is demonstrated by the man who makes it.  He corrected an old recipe he used to make, with the new one, in which he uses that paper that you sometime use on cookie sheets, the name escapes me and I am not in the house.  Yoder uses that same paper in-between their strips of bacon, then folds them to fit the can.  I bought theirs many years ago, when $8.00 a can was very pricey for storage bacon.  I would check this guy out, as people have raved about his recipes.  It will be down a couple of months on their site.  Good Luck!

crplhood

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 03:28:02 PM »
Yeah, bacon is super easy. I get bellies from my butcher and make my own bacon. I can't remember the recipe I got started on, but this is pretty close. Cold curing in the fridge is the way to go. I also get belly from Nam Da Mun Asian market in Smyrna, when I'm down that way. Price goes up and down, but it normally is about half the butcher cost and still beats Costco.

https://standingsbutchery.com/blog/how-to-make-homemade-bacon

tlwagg

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 09:26:24 PM »
Thanks crplhood I told my niece I heard it was easy to make bacon and she asked for a recipe.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal