Author Topic: New Spider In Georgia???  (Read 857 times)

Surveyor1

New Spider In Georgia???
« on: March 05, 2022, 08:18:07 PM »
Lol they say they’ve been in Georgia since 2014.  I bought my land in 2012 and they were here then.  They are quite impressive and you definitely don’t want to walk through their webs because they are quite stout!  Good news is that you can see them from a distance.  They do look intimidating but if you are paying attention you won’t get tangled up with them.  Yes they are EVERYWHERE in the woods around here and have been for awhile!

https://www.theblaze.com/news/good-news-a-species-of-giant-invasive-parachuting-spiders-is-expected-to-blanket-the-east-coast
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

tlwagg

Re: New Spider In Georgia???
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 09:38:14 AM »
I think they've been around a lot longer than the 2000's.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 09:49:23 AM »
I've never seen one here but I do have tons of the black & yellow garden spiders - love to watch them wrap up a hornet!  These new(er) ones have a red spot at the back end.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

BennyMG1

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 03:05:52 PM »
Is that the same as a golden orb?
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Starlady

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 06:43:24 PM »
The black and yellow ones do have quite a few 'local' names but the 2 discussed here ARE orb weavers.   I think the golden orb is shorter and doesn't have any black on the back end.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Surveyor1

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2022, 08:15:59 PM »
Confirmed, they have been around for a decade or more n the southeast.  Like I said we have had them here for the 10 years I’ve owned my property.  Yes they are big, scary looking and their webs are pretty darn strong!  That being said, their webs are easy to spot before you get tangled up in them because the strands are so thick…. I guess living less than 100 miles from a major sea port has its disadvantages…. I guess the good news is that even though scary looking they “seem to be somewhat beneficial”???😳🤔😳
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

BennyMG1

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2022, 02:57:36 PM »
We’ve got lots of them
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal