Author Topic: Are People Lazy or Just Stupid?  (Read 2021 times)

Abigayle

Re: Are People Lazy or Just Stupid?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2022, 10:45:43 AM »
I must be really dense, but I can not figure out for the life of me what started this in the first place.  I see C.H. as trying to be very helpful.  He is very knowledgable, in many areas.
Everyone on here brings different skills to the table and we are dang lucky to have people who are willing to take their time to help others.  We are all scrambling to keep ahead of what might happen next.  I have been a preppier since 1999 and a small farmer before that.  I have never seen as many possibilities as to the things that can destroy our current lifestyle.  We need level headed thinkers.
Many people lerk here. Personal attacks will only encourage them to stay in the shadows. Play nice! 

Surveyor1

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2022, 06:10:42 PM »
As we go through our lives we are exposed to different things that other people may not be exposed to.  For example, I can do basic car maintenance and even a little more than basic but I couldn’t rebuild a tranny. 

Everyone’s life experiences are different.  Many major corporations have started marketing differently to the various generations simply because their life experiences were different from previous generations (no one’s fault…). Below is an interesting article on some very major corporations marketing strategies for our changing world from one generation to the next.  The author was amused but just because you were never exposed to something doesn’t mean a thing…

https://www.thesurvivalgardener.com/amusing-2/
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Starlady

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2022, 09:43:49 PM »
"People have knowledge relevant to the world they live in."

"As we go through our lives we are exposed to different things that other people may not be exposed to."

My take on what Cplhood was saying is just that.   See, you guys actually agreed, good job!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Surveyor1

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2022, 12:37:59 AM »
"People have knowledge relevant to the world they live in."

"As we go through our lives we are exposed to different things that other people may not be exposed to."

My take on what Cplhood was saying is just that.   See, you guys actually agreed, good job!

See there is common ground!!!  That is a really good thing!  Now if we can agree that it is okay to make fun of people like George Carlin did for years on peoples stupidity we are making progress!   
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Surveyor1

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2022, 12:53:35 AM »
Let’s face reality!  I’ve done MANY stupid tings and deserved to be called out or mocked on them!  The problem arises when people think that they cannot be called out for their sheer stupidity…. Let’s face it people do some REALLY stupid things and we should be able to call them out on them when they do it!  Like I said before social media has exasperated the problem of stupidity, it’s a generational issue caused by social media that simply cannot be ignored!  If I posted social media post of myself eating Tide Pods I would definitely deserve the wrath of the masses…..stupid has become a disease…

crplhood

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2022, 06:26:03 AM »
Starlady hit it on the head. I feel like the political climate has hit hard here in the last 5 years, leading to a lot of mockery of non-preppers.
That's not what we're here for. We all know peppers who left the forum, or the internet behind becuase for one reason or another they want to isolate.
We aren't them. This group has been diverse mix of social and ethnic classes, and life values. You aren't encouraging folks to embrace the self-sufficient lifestyle if when those non-prepper folks get their first inspiration, find us on Google, then turn around when they see what looks like smug preppers making fun of their lifestyle.
Call it thin skin all you want in private, but we need a culture of teaching self reliance, not supposing violence (duh, were going to defend our homes) and making fun of technology. That's how we add ranks to our lifestyle.
Wanna cut down on violence after SHTF? Expand the number of people with massive canned food stores, whether you disagree with their lifestyle or not.
I love you all, even Surveyor :) Everyone here has different and valid opinions. Let's just be a little less prickly? What looks like humor to some is standing in the porch with a shotgun to others. When SHTF, we'll need every prepared family we can get. I'm not saying I want them all eating my food, but ill happy invite them on the porch and teach em how to make SauerKraut.

Surveyor1

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2022, 11:16:58 AM »
I haven’t seen anyone mocking “non-preppers”. I’ve seen people, especially me, making fun of peoples sheer stupidity.  Not directed at non-preppers at all…. Like I’ve said numerous times, if I do something stupid, I should be laughed at and even ridiculed.  That’s one problem with so many people in our country, they’ve lost their sense of humor.  The cancel culture is out of control and people are so judgmental that they are incapable of seeing the humor in everyday lives. 

I’m not going to change to appease the masses.  I will laugh at peoples stupidity and discuss it in an open forum.  I don’t care about your feelings when it comes to laughing at you for doing something stupid.  If I do something stupid, laugh at me, that’s fine because I laugh at myself a lot for doing stupid things!  Too many people try to make a simple post something that it’s not.  They “assume” that there was an underlying cause, hatred or prejudice.  People that do this probably just need to read a post and take it at face value.  I’m pretty sure that anyone that reads my post will agree that I’m very straightforward and will say exactly what I’m thinking, so stop “reading” something in my post that is not there…

This whole “shitshow” started because I shared a story that “I” thought was humorous about peoples either laziness and/or stupidity for paying $11.99 for 1 meal that is shipped to them and they wave a card in front of a reader and it automatically cooks the meal.  Most “normal” might like the concept but think it’s just crazy to spend $11.99 for one meal?  Just like George Carlin would have done I laughed at this and even stated why as my wife and I had just spent $2,50 for our dinner instead of $23.98…. Lighten up people and try and see the humor in everyday life and please understand that it’s ok to laugh at peoples stupidity, especially your own!

Starlady

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2022, 01:08:02 PM »
I guess you can just write me off as one of the stupid, lazy weaklings.

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO CHANGE A TIRE.
I FLAT OUT DON'T GET ELECTRICITY.
I FLAT OUT DON'T GET HAM RADIO.
I HATE WASHING MY CARS - I'd rather pay to have it done.

Oh gee, can you do that with dinner?

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Abigayle

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2022, 01:53:27 PM »
Star Lady, You have so many skills that I can not count them all.  You not only have them, most importantly, you practice and perfect them.  If changing your own tire was important to you, by now, you would have mastered it.
Two plumbers (brothers) came out yesterday.  One was very interested in my gardens.  He asked how long I had been gardening and I confessed around 40 years.  He felt like he could not learn all it takes to be successful.  I assured him he could.  He showed me a picture of an overgrown tomato plant that  resembled a heavy Christmas tree.  I took him over to one tomato plant that I had not finished pruning and showed him how to thin and why.  He is bringing his wife out.  They live in town but want to learn.  I am hoping I can find an opening to discuss securing their food supply, any way they can (and water).  He has skills, just not gardening.  A few times, he made comments that made me think he had to be kidding.  He was not.  I had to catch myself and not laugh.  People need encouragement, not being called out.
With my students, if they brought a project up to me that still needed a lot of work, I would first point out all the good things about what they had down.  Sometimes, I had to look pretty hard.  Calling people out on what we may view as stupid, does not build us up and only damages the egos of others, whether they care to admit it on not.  It also retards their process, as they may be afraid to move forward.  Everyone has skills. They may or may not choose to use them, their choice.

nj_m715

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2022, 02:51:36 PM »
if you cut your grass and find a car, you might be a redneck

if you drink batteries and wash jackets with kids inside, you might be stupid

Starlady

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2022, 06:28:45 PM »
" Calling people out on what we may view as stupid, does not build us up"

You got my point.

Fixit

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2022, 07:00:49 AM »
Okay I have to admit I do make fun of non-preppers  . But I don't do it to them . To the unprepared I give nudges to take baby steps .
 Now to other preppers I refer to non- preppers as   Those With Empty Reserve Pantries ....or TWERPS for short.

Abigayle

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2022, 09:20:41 AM »
Agree with FIXIT and I do refer to non-preppers as TWERPS when talking with other peppers.  When talking to them, I ask if they insure their homes, cars, and other things of value to them.  The answer is yes, or of course. I then nicely ask why then, don't they insure their food supply.  What is more important?  If they feel they can not afford to do much, I suggest starting with B.O.G.O. sales, of things they would buy anyway, put the free one back.  Be sure to check dates.  At this point, I don't replace anything with a date less than 2024.  Exceptions have to be some mayonnaise and salad dressing, but I don't go over-board., will have to make my own.  If they are true beginners, I don't go into first aid and things needed to insure health.  Hunters seem to be more tuned in on having extra ammo, so I don't go there.  I do encourage hunting for food, not sport.  One issue with that are processing prices.  They are crazy high and butchers like everyone else, can't find the help that wants to learn.  Hey, that would be a good job part time for young preppers that want to get a block and tackle to process at home.  They can also render fat and make bone broth, or a big kettle of soup as they process...Oh, to be young again!

Surveyor1

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2022, 09:24:41 AM »
Lol, trigger in 3, 2, 1…..  Thanks for the past 2 post, I Love people with a sense of humor!😎😎😎

Abigayle

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2022, 01:49:00 PM »

O.K. Surveyor 1, I'll bite.  What was my trigger? statement???  I am guessing it might be that young people would learn to butcher.  I know it is tough to do with a cell phone in one hand, but not all teens are alike.  So hard workers do move among them.  Maybe that was not the trigger, do tell...
Ariel

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal