Author Topic: Storing sugar  (Read 1668 times)

coastiemike

Storing sugar
« on: October 25, 2022, 06:17:32 AM »
We found some half gallon Ball jars on a really good deal.  From everything we have read, we can’t really using them for actual canning.  Can they be used for storing sugar?  If so, should we drop on oxygen absorber in them?  We figured we could buy a few large bags of sugar at Costco and just use the half gallon jars for them.  But, wanted to check in with people wiser than me to see the best results for using them to house extra sugar.  Thanks for any advice or tips.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: Storing sugar
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 06:35:41 AM »
Mike,  I use a vacuum sealer and a jar lid adapter to suck all the air out and let it go at that.  Sugar stores well.  I use the jars to store pasta and freeze dried soup mixes that I make up from bulk ingredients.  After I use just one of the quart size jars, I am tired of soup and need a change.  Just think what it will be like to use a half agllon jar of soup mix.  I will use this if we have guests!  Which I am sure we will.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 10:23:28 AM by RWS »

coastiemike

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 07:10:03 AM »
Mike,  I use a vacuum sealer and a jar lid adapter to suck all the air out and let it go at that.  Sugar stores well.  I use the jars to store pasta and freeze dried soup mixes that I make up from bulk ingredients.

We don’t own a vacuum sealer.  Do you have recommendations?  Are they expensive?

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 07:25:12 AM »
A vacuum sealer is not an expensive appliance.  We use the FoodSaver brand.  They have several models.  I purchased the 2000 model and the accessory jar lid adapter sold seperately. 

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 07:49:59 AM »
When I used to get canned sugar from the LDS cannery they recommend no oxygen absorber in the can.
Ravenwood

Abigayle

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 08:42:19 AM »
I have heard the same information as Ravenwood.  I would also worry about using my food saver on sugar, due to the dust plugging it up, but that's just me.  A few years ago, I bought a bunch of Domino sugar, in the yellow plastic cans.  There is a seal under the lid.  Each can holds four pounds.  I stacked these and can get fifty pounds into a small space.  I rotate some, replacing it with less expensive sugar (by todays standards, what a joke). 
If you buy some pure cane sugar and mark it, you may wish to do so.  Some canning recipes require either pure cane, or raw sugar...not many, but some.  I would thing those jars would work fine. I use some for rice and beans that I want to be able to get my hands on without cutting a mylar bag.  If sugar clumps, like brown sugar, over time, if it has been left in a bag, just break it up and use it.  Same with hard honey, just heat it a little.  We did that yesterday on some hot, fresh bread.  Take care!
Ariel

Surveyor1

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 11:12:46 AM »
Sugar basically stores indefinitely if protected from moisture and bugs, after all people use sugar as a preservative.  We’ve stored some sugar in food grade buckets that have a good seal.  We’ve stored some in non-food grade buckets with sealed 5 gallon Mylar bags.  DO NOT use O2 absorbers!!!  The sugar is so dense there is very little air in there anyway.  I have a friend that put O2 absorbers in a 5 gallon Mylar bag and it “fused” all the sugar together into basically one 5 gallon block of sugar!🤦‍♂️😳😜…. It’s usable but they have to chisel off the block what they need!  I haven’t researched glass jars but I’m sure it would be fine.  I would recommend a dark place as I’m not sure how light would affect the color??? 
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2022, 12:12:13 PM »
Yeah i bricked a mylar bag of sugar adding an O2 absorber. Had to chisel that sucker, like stated it is still useful but unnecessary tedious except for the kids its like sugar cubes.
Psalms 127:3-5

BennyMG1

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2022, 01:00:05 PM »
I simply seal my sugar in Mylar without O2 absorbers or desiccant. I’ve never had a problem with it turning into a brick. Just a couple of things. The area where I put up and seal my Mylar stays at about 45% humidity and is constantly between 69 and 72 degrees Fahrenheit. As long as you seal it away from moisture, you should be fine. Storing in glass mason jars with lids should do just fine.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Fixit

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2022, 04:51:38 PM »
I don't really seal my sugar . It is kept in a 55 gal barrel with a screw on lid. And yes I always have at least one full barrel.

coastiemike

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2022, 09:38:44 AM »
Thanks for all the replies!

coastiemike

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2022, 12:23:20 PM »
FYI, we are at Costco right now and the sealers are on sale for $75.  Usually they’re $200.  I assume that’s a good deal?

Abigayle

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2022, 02:00:01 PM »
Sorry, was out shopping to accommodate the grandkids coming when things go south. Did you buy one?  If so, what brand?  What they nail you on is the FoodSaver bags.  Last year, they went way up.  I swallowed hard and bought some backup.  Maybe, if I look at todays prices, I will feel better.
Ariel

coastiemike

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2022, 03:53:43 PM »
Sorry, was out shopping to accommodate the grandkids coming when things go south. Did you buy one?  If so, what brand?  What they nail you on is the FoodSaver bags.  Last year, they went way up.  I swallowed hard and bought some backup.  Maybe, if I look at todays prices, I will feel better.

We didn’t purchase today.  But, they also had 200 bags for $25.  Maybe we might go back tomorrow.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2022, 02:29:05 PM »
Since sugar is so easy to store and still available, now would be a good time to increase your stored sugar supplies.

Biden Regime Bans World’s Largest Sugar Producer from Exporting to the U.S. Amid Forced Labor Claims – But China Gets a Pass

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2022/11/biden-regime-bans-worlds-biggest-sugar-producer-exporting-u-s-amid-claims-forced-labor/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal