Author Topic: Garden starting…..WHAT??!!!  (Read 852 times)

BennyMG1

Garden starting…..WHAT??!!!
« on: February 18, 2023, 06:21:35 AM »
Like many of you, I got the garden starting pots going last weekend. It seems like my timing is off every year and I was hoping this year would be different. However, I had a surprise in store. Every seed I planted has a 10 to 14 day sprouting window.

The day after getting the pots planted, the broccoli was up! I mean literally about 18 hours. The next day the broccoli sprouts were over an inch tall. Four days later almost every pot (tomatoes, cucumbers, etc were up! The only two that are still under the soil are the bell peppers and and most of the Brussel sprouts.

I’m not planting heirloom seed this year because I’m going for a high volume yield this year in a limited space. Did I get ahold of some super seeds? Now I’m worried they are going to need repotting before it’s time to put in the garden.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: Garden starting…..WHAT??!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 10:35:21 AM »
I am going to plant my tomato seeds this week.  I planted a few Legacy seeds from Park.  I say a few because there were only 20 seeds to the pack.  Legacy is supposed to be a variety for cooler weather and shorter growing season.  I thought they would be good to start early and pot up for Region 2 gifts.  I had some grow bags so I made a post out od a 1x4 and dowel rod.  Filled the bag with raised bed medium and planted a tomato right in the middle.  Then all around it I planted lettuce.  On the outer edge I planted "Candy" onions.  These will be gift salad bags for my region 2 neighbors. 
I will plant my region 8 tomato seeds this week.   Squash and cucumbers will be another couple of weeks out yet as they don't like cool weather.

Abigayle

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 01:52:56 PM »
Like many of you, I got the garden starting pots going last weekend. It seems like my timing is off every year and I was hoping this year would be different. However, I had a surprise in store. Every seed I planted has a 10 to 14 day sprouting window.

The day after getting the pots planted, the broccoli was up! I mean literally about 18 hours. The next day the broccoli sprouts were over an inch tall. Four days later almost every pot (tomatoes, cucumbers, etc were up! The only two that are still under the soil are the bell peppers and and most of the Brussel sprouts.

I’m not planting heirloom seed this year because I’m going for a high volume yield this year in a limited space. Did I get ahold of some super seeds? Now I’m worried they are going to need repotting before it’s time to put in the garden.

Benny, could the packets have been damp?  Did you notice if the seeds had a little sprout on them or looked fuller than usual?  I have never had seed sprout that fast!  Is there room in each pot to add an additional inch or soil or so?  If they get root bound, you could try sitting them in a tray of soil, so long as you remove the soil with the plant when you put it in the ground.
Your broccoli can go in tomorrow.  When it gets to the upper 70's the end of the week, you might have to put a shade cloth over it for a day, unless you have been hardening them off.  Keep us posted.  By the way good decision to plant the hybrid since you are going for volume this year.  I am betting you have a non-hybrid in storage to match what you have planted...unless crickets are on your menu for next year:)

John Galt 1

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 08:06:00 PM »
I'm holding off sprouting for a month.   Tired of losing plants to a late frost but i've got some asparagus roots I may put in in 2 weeks..
The pear trees are budding hard and I hope they survive the next month.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

Searchboss

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2023, 03:26:53 PM »
I never claimed to be a farmer or gardener, but feel it is prudent to learn to grow my own vegetables if I can. We got a late start with our backyard hobby garden this year. Last weekend we finally got it tilled and rowed and planted a row of corn, a split row of squash and cucumbers, 4 cherry tomato plants, and 8 large tomato plants. We also planted some sweet potatoes. Fortunately, these plants were started weeks ago by my son who likes to garden, and built his own little "grow house" so they are mature enough to transplant. Now if I can just keep the squirrels out of the garden! I have learned a lot just by reading the tips and crosstalk here.

nj_m715

Surveyor1

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2023, 09:30:34 AM »
If you’ve never eaten squirrel you don’t know what you are missing!  Excellent 😎!
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Abigayle

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2023, 11:39:10 AM »
I've made squirrel and it is excellent, we don't have many here.  I found a baby squirrel, or I should say it found me.  It ate chicken feed. I didn't have the heart to kill it as it kept following me around and it had those big eyes.  Yet, I can shoot a buck with no issues.  Anyway, my last minister, and friend, used to make squirrel soup and bring it to neighborhood pot lucks.  It was excellent!  One woman whispered in my ear that she didn't eat anything he brought, as she never knew what might be in it.  I wonder how she will do....
He doesn't have a recipe, just adds whatever is growing in the garden.  His wife gets tired of squirrel.  I think she is a lucky woman.  It takes several of course.  Going too watch the video now, thanks N.J.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2023, 08:38:13 AM »
I was up in region 2 this past week.  I noticed several new community garden projects.  The wife asked me if I thought they registered them with the Agriculture Dep. ??  Anyway it looks like the community garden thing is taking off in the North Ga. Mountains.

Abigayle

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2023, 09:59:32 AM »
Started my morning by listening to The Star Spangled Banner in Fox.  I record it every morning, watch, sing along and get a little chocked up, every time.  Then I said a pray and at the end, my prayer included the victims of the mass shooting in Alabama, close to the Ga. border. It was a sweet sixteen party.
Granddaughter got into fire ants this week.  I had her chew some Holy basil, then we wrapped it around her bites on one ankle.  The other ankle, I used some C. silver salve, that is somewhat dated.  I am dancing as fast as I can to learn what to do for what.  My feverfew and chamomile, catnip, calendula, echinacea, lovage, yarrow and valerian are all up, non of these are big enough to be useful at this point. Any tinctures  or salves that us common culinary herbs, I can deal with now. The sweeten tincture is going in a quart jar, with another quart of small leaves in the freezer.  So much to learn.
Meanwhile, we have small ripe tomatoes in the greenhouse, broccoli, cabbage, spinach, kale, all ready to eat.  The summer veggies either that blossoms or small fruit, which is good for this early.  I used my Amazon points towards a new American Pressure cooker this week.  When I bought my last one, I didn't pay attention to the number of quart JARS, I went by quarts it would hold and that tells you volume of content, not number of jars.  Newbees, be careful if you buy one or you will be running it twice.  My new one is seven quart jars, instead of four. Fuel is high and I was having to run mine twice if I had a seven jar recipe. I can still use my four quart sometimes.  Personally, I would not own any other pressure cooker.  In terms of quality, it will be the last one you will buy.  Worked on some other backup needs this week, unrelated to food.  I don't think prepping is ever a done deal, unless you burn out and quit.  Beautiful week ahead to get things done!

BennyMG1

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2023, 11:31:53 AM »
Wow Abs!!! I pretty much do the same thing every Saturday and Sunday morning at 0600. I alway stand and put my hand over my heart. When it’s over I alway pray the same simple prayer asking God to please deliver this country from the evil that is destroying it
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Abigayle

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2023, 02:52:33 PM »
NJ I love the practical self reliance site you suggested above. Can't wait to get a few squirrel next fall and try the method.  I doubt that I could do one in a minute, even with the right tools, but it would have to be fast.  I reviewed other articles.  Even for things the I know, a refresher course was helpful.  I had forgotten about putting a cabbage leaf over the brine, when making one quart of sauerkraut for the fridge.  I bookmarked it and plan to do more reading as time allows.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal