Author Topic: How much stored food?  (Read 2698 times)

Abigayle

Re: How much stored food?
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2023, 02:30:37 PM »
Search Boss, Another redeeming quality of Keystone, is the expiration date. The usual is four years.  One day a man and I both discovered the item and price at the same time.  At that point, I was the proud owner of only ten cans.  This young guy and I started scooping up cans.  In the end, we traded a few, so we would both have a good selection.  Either of us said a word in regard to what we were wanting with all that canned meat, but we did share a knowing eye.
I thought about your post last night, as I had picked up a copy of The Preppers' Pantry, Building and Thriving with Food Storage. The author is Anne Lang.
While I don't agree with everything she says and does ( we all have our ways...) She offers some good ideas
For example, she calculates yields for her families favorite recipes, like chicken and dumplings.  She puts up enough of each item needed to have the meal once a week for a year., using home storage.  She also discusses "the active pantry", and the importance of keeping your dates that are close, on hand there.
Like most of us, she keeps a list of what she needs to replace as she uses hit.  Here is where she and I go our separate ways.  She replaces what she uses QUARTLY.  What if quarterly never comes and you are left a quarter of the year short?  I carry my list, watch my prices and replace as I can. All in all there are some good ideas and good charts on how much to store for men, women, children and older, less active adults (don't I wish).  If you don'y eat it, don't store it, but be thinking of a substitute that will fill the void.  Let us know how your chart works out for you.

Fixit

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2023, 03:17:23 PM »
My pantry stays I good shape but I am always looking for the odd stuff that I want think is not in high enough amounts or not on the list at all .
So far this year I have added 250 lbs more of my preferred salt and 100 lbs of baking soda . The salt add puts me over 600 lbs . This is more than most would put back but with meat curing ,canning and some other uses it is not excessive for me.  Baking soda also has many uses and I found a source that got the price down to $40 on a 100 lbs.

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2023, 08:39:37 PM »
Just saw your question Abigayle about the size canner. It was my pressure canner that holds 7 quarts and I just used small oak debris and branches. It was some trouble to keep the pressure level, I have a weighted jiggler, but I managed. I just wanted to test that I could pressure can on the rocket stove if push came to shove.
Ravenwood

Abigayle

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2023, 07:00:27 PM »
So where are we now?  I hit several stores today.  There are very few deals to be had.  Prices that had dropped are back up there.  Some have gone over the top of where they were during Covid shortages.
This month was supposed to be my sweet month.  This meant taking June and canning things that would help with morale and our addiction to sugar..  I forgot to send a memo to the garden, so I had to stop, can garden and pick up again.  This will be repeated this week.  Thing is, canning can no longer save you any real money.  I did notice tomatoes are crazy high, so glad I will not need to buy any.  We knew that one was coming, so most of us planted extra, if we could.  I wish I could grow apple cider vinegar.  That stuff is off the charts.  The good stuff is over twenty a quart!  You can find some cheap chicken, but the quality is not there.  I think they are forgetting to pluck the birds completely, exp. the wings!
So what next?  What do you need the most and how do you get it?  If your answer involves a skill, the train is leaving the station.  It may be time to tell yourself that the day you needed to get "it" done, may have been yesterday. Yes, this post is jumping all over the place.  It's called frustration.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 11:35:30 PM by Abigayle »
Ariel

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2023, 08:48:41 PM »
I understand how frustrated you feel Abigayle, I feel it too. I have fought the good fight for over 50 years, always in hopes of finding a companion that I could share the load with, to no avail. I am doing my best alone to prepare for what may come. I am only fooling myself to think I can hold onto the homestead if TSHTF. I suppose that at one point one has to just put it in God’s hands and what will be will be. It is so very sad to see what has become of our country. I repeat again, “I don’t even recognize my country anymore.” To all the young folks here, you better have your nests’ feathered by the time you are 60 cause it only gets harder every year after that. God have mercy on us all.
Ravenwood

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2023, 09:39:46 AM »
By Michael Devon

Our national descent into the hellish landscape of climate hysteria, virulent Jew-hatred in the streets, and Marxist-Leninist despotism continues unabated.  Due to runaway inflation and the massive federal debt, the dollar’s value has shrunk like a cheap cotton towel washed in hot water.  Weekly grocery bills and energy costs have almost doubled since 2021, while real wage growth has declined due to the economic strangulation of progressive bureaucratic regulation and nonexistent congressional oversight.

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2023/11/5_items_to_remember_for_when_disaster_strikes.html

How do you prepare for such an awful confluence of events?  By accepting and acting upon the real possibility of food, water, energy, and medical supplies shortages in the months ahead.  There are plenty of articles, videos, and social media posts that deal with the basics of prepping.  Today, I’m suggesting acquiring overlooked items that may greatly aid in the rough times ahead.

John Galt 1

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2023, 08:42:33 PM »
My pantry stays I good shape but I am always looking for the odd stuff that I want think is not in high enough amounts or not on the list at all .
So far this year I have added 250 lbs more of my preferred salt and 100 lbs of baking soda . The salt add puts me over 600 lbs . This is more than most would put back but with meat curing ,canning and some other uses it is not excessive for me.  Baking soda also has many uses and I found a source that got the price down to $40 on a 100 lbs.

Salt is a great item for preps but you've got a lot more than I store.
Is your stored salt iodized?

Either way salt would become a HUGE low cost trade item after a few months.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

Fixit

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2023, 06:36:35 PM »
What I store is SEA-90 .You want find it at the grocery store . It is used as a feed supplement and as a trace mineral  source for hydroponics . I have used it for close to 20 years for cooking , canning and curing with no problems 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal