Author Topic: Identification - I’ve Never Encountered  (Read 584 times)

Surveyor1

Identification - I’ve Never Encountered
« on: May 24, 2023, 03:48:01 PM »
About 2” long with a very hard shell, flies and built like a tank?  I’ve never seen one of these before?
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Surveyor1

Re: Identification - I’ve Never Encountered
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2023, 03:54:09 PM »
I guess I should have researched on the internet before asking, interesting bug…. Eastern Eyed Click Beetle.

https://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.php?identification=Eastern-Eyed-Click-Beetle
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

John Galt 1

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 03:58:18 PM »
Circadia?
Interesting insect that spends most of its life un a larval stage in the ground.       Different types of Circadia stay un the ground for different numbers of years.      One type stays in the ground for 7 years before developing the hard shell and wings.     They to only live for a few weeks after they come out of the ground to mate.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

Starlady

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 05:17:25 PM »
I've seen one of those click beetles.  Weird thing!

Cicadas, I only see the empty shells hanging onto trees or the side of a coop, lol.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

BennyMG1

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2023, 05:03:07 AM »
Yep! That’s a click beetle. Used to love to play with them when I was little. You turn them upside down and they “pop” to right themselves.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal