Author Topic: Best book that you've recently read  (Read 352 times)

John Galt 1

Best book that you've recently read
« on: May 30, 2023, 10:43:40 AM »
Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan.

A story of courage, love, and horror based on a well researched true story in Italy during Mussolini's rule during WW-2.     You can pass on the prelude but you'll want to read the prelude after reading the story.

I keep extra copies of 5 different books/documents to occasionally pass out to friends and family.       What book I offer depends on the person.

Illusions by Richard Bach
Utopia by Sir Thomas More
One Second After by William Forstchen
Beneath a Scarlett Sky
The Declaration of Independence with amendments and Bill of Rights

And while not exactly a great read I've been known to pass out a copy of "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" by John Gray to the occasional young man from time to time.      Probably good for us older bulls too but we've probably learned much of what's in the book through experience

I suspect that most of these passed out books were never read but at least I tried.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 11:10:29 AM by John Galt 1 »
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

Abigayle

Re: Best book that you've recently read
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 12:53:44 PM »
I recently gave a neighbor my extra copy of One Second After.  I knew she and I were on the same page...hey now, that's cleaver, don't ya think?
Recently I read Bobby Akart's Thirty Six Hours and Zero Hour.  I have not found the thirty book in that series on sale yet, but will search for it. The Black out is due to a solar flare.  One interesting part of the series, is that this upper middle class family, "get's it", the day before and have to really scramble.  The antagonist makes some mistakes, and I found myself talking to her. "You should have gotten those to go with that".  You know... we are practiced.  I remind myself of my father, who was a Marine sharp shooter in W.W.2.  We had to threaten to turn off westerns and and movie involving guns.  We could not hear the dialogue, with his yelling things like "you don't have that many shots in that pistol", or "You could not make that shot from there".  Sure miss that man.
Another really good read, involving survival during wartime, is The Nightingale, by Kristin Hannah.  This is an excellent read. I read it years ago, in a woman's neighborhood book club.  Everyone loved it.  Thor though it was an excellent read as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal