Author Topic: SEPN 2023 Fall camp out  (Read 2088 times)

Ravenwood1950

Re: SEPN 2023 Fall camp out
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2023, 07:09:50 AM »
With the going price of the Porta potties our group could rent cabins at a state park and gather in comfort. I just don’t feel able to deal with tent camping anymore. 😢 This is just a suggestion as many of us are getting long in the tooth.
I miss not being with everyone.
Ravenwood

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2023, 09:38:47 AM »
Yes, We would be more comfortable; however, one of the purposes of the campout is to help be better prepared to move and to survive.  When SHTF does happen we will need all of the equipment and experience we can get to be better able to cope.   

Surveyor1

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2023, 12:27:33 PM »
Yea as we get older the tent camping can be a challenge but no where near the challenge of what we, as preppers, feel is coming.  I would really love to see old friends and meet new friends that for whatever reason are unable to come camping.  Maybe a day trip could be arraigned or maybe even a “carpool day trip”.  Would love to see as many as possible!!!
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Searchboss

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2023, 01:37:19 PM »
I must admit that I enjoy getting outside and camping in a tent when the weather is nice. I acknowledge that it is a lot of work and requires a lot more skill and equipment than cabin camping, which I also enjoy. Tent camping keeps me current on my field craft and camping proficiency which translates to knowledge and capability I might need during a disaster. It also helps me to keep my camping equipment together and in good working order so I can find and use it at a moment’s notice if necessary.

Having said that, I would be open to adding a new winter activity like a cabin camping trip to our SEPN event calendar, say in February. Truthfully, I don’t think many would partake of an event like this due to the expense of renting a cabin at a state park plus the difficulty of securing enough cabins/rooms for a large group at one time.

Several people have mentioned it is difficult for them to stay overnight due to a need to feed and care for animals at home, etc. I would suggest that conducting regular gatherings like the Summer Event in July and the Christmas Party in December could satisfy the desire for people to get together for an afternoon once or twice during the year. Sadly they have not been held over the past couple of years. Perhaps it is time to correct this deficiency?

Don’t forget that you can always make a day trip out to the campground at Cedar Creek on Saturday and visit with everyone there.

Surveyor1

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2023, 02:12:02 PM »
Yea Searchboss a number of ears back we thought it would be a good idea to have a bug out in February…. Temps dipped into the mid to upper 20’s but we all made it and learned a lot.  My biggest takeaway was my 20 degree rated sleeping bag was nowhere near adequate.  A twenty degree rating may keep you alive when the temperature is in the 20’s but it definitely doesn’t keep you toasty.  We pretty much roughed it but a pad will go along way to keep the cold from the ground from seeping into your bones! 

I agree the expense for state park cabins has really gone crazy the past few years.  Depending on the park one can expect to pay $135.00 to $165.00 per night!  Heck even the full hookup campsites are from $35.00 to $55.00 per night!  Their fees got kinda stupid when they contracted the booking/reservation system out to a third party….
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2023, 06:08:49 PM »
I mostly posted the idea of renting cabins when I checked on the price of the Porta potties and found that it was at least $600.00 for the weekend. That seemed awfully dear to me. I too love camping but just can’t manage to handle the logistics of it easily.
Ravenwood ❤️❤️

Farside

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2023, 12:19:53 PM »
Hey! didn't mean to start something. We have the money needed, and the port-a-potty was $326 for the weekend. It's when up a over a hundred in two years, and that's the lowest price I found in that area.

Searchboss

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2023, 09:24:04 PM »
Yea Searchboss a number of years back we thought it would be a good idea to have a bug out in February…. Temps dipped into the mid to upper 20’s but we all made it and learned a lot.  My biggest takeaway was my 20 degree rated sleeping bag was nowhere near adequate.  A twenty degree rating may keep you alive when the temperature is in the 20’s but it definitely doesn’t keep you toasty.  We pretty much roughed it but a pad will go along way to keep the cold from the ground from seeping into your bones!

I did something similar several years ago with a wilderness search team training activity. It was very cold. My idea for a 20-degree sleeping bag is that it is supposed to keep you nice and warm in 20-degree weather, not just survive it! Some of the ratings are totally unbelievable.

tlwagg

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2023, 02:55:15 PM »
We hope to be there but my father-in-law has had a few problems recently. He seems to be doing better but you never know.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

upacreek

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2023, 03:36:08 PM »
I've been out of the loop for a long time.  I'd like to catch up.  See you guys there.

Is anyone up for a seed exchange?  Regardless of an exchange, I could bring some of those walking onions that NJ brought a couple years ago too.  I use them and give them away all the time.  I just started saving some seeds for the year, so it's on my mind.

Scratch that.  I was made an offer I couldn't refuse and need to change course.  I hope to catch up with you guys in December.  Don't get eaten or shot.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 05:44:27 PM by upacreek »
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2023, 05:53:20 AM »
We have been living in our camper about 40% of the time this Summer.  Just got home from the BOL last evening.  Give me a week or so to rest up a bit and I should be ready for Fall Campout.  My auction item has arrived that I ordered special for this years event.  Hope to see yall there.

Please watch the instructional video for the CPU before coming to the Campout.
http://swimforhim.org/chlorine-producing-unit/

Just been working on the camper.  I drove it all the way home from the BOL with out stopping for fuel.  The fuel gage had 3 bars so I took it to Loves truck stop and fueled up.  Then filled the propane tank which happens once a year.  When I got home I topped off the DEF and washed that dirty thing up a little bit.  Must be getting ready for another Campout.

Instead of a Silverado EV, I think a street tank will have a better survival rate!!
https://www.mypatriotsupply.com/pages/win-a-tank?utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_medium=campaign-email&utm_campaign=MPS%20Email%2FScout%20-%209.27.23%20-%20PS%2025%25%20Off%203-Month%20Kit%20%28Resend%29%20%282023-09-27%29&_kx=n2uxYORyZVe7kh45fwf9jyzJ5KVbq-O2hOxOep6D_TDgYwzy-dA0RY4kWTW8jZfJ.TLRHJG#13686457
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 06:22:10 PM by RWS »

Searchboss

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2023, 07:50:49 AM »
It looks like the weather is going to be great for the 2023 Fall Campout. The forecast calls for a clear to partly cloudy sky, high temperatures will be in the low 80s with lows in the mid 50 degree range. Chances of rain are less than 25%. It will be fantastic weather for camping.

I have not heard anyone discuss an agenda for Saturday so far. Maybe that can be a subject for discussion so we can plan something for the next one.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone again. It has been far too long since we have had the opportunity. I know it is difficult for us all to get together due to the distances involved, but it is always a pleasure when we do. Even if you can’t come and camp, be sure to stop in and visit with us on Saturday for a few hours and participate in the auction. They are always fun.

Be sure to bring your auction items. This is the main way we raise money to pay for the online forum and the various SEPN events like the spring and fall campouts, the summer get-together, and the Christmas party, which I hope will all be on the schedule for 2024. I am bringing several items that I have accumulated over the past year.

See you there!

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2023, 02:36:51 PM »
Something to think about

a Government shutdown looms ever closer, midnight tomorrow.  My question is.  Will they shut down all camping in the National Forrest??  If so, what are we going to do ??

nj_m715

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2023, 02:44:59 PM »
call it a sanctuary forest and lose our ID ?

BennyMG1

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2023, 03:11:48 PM »
Camp anyway. All the rangers will be furloughed. Nobody to say anything.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal