Author Topic: Is Prepping on the Decline?  (Read 343 times)

Searchboss

Is Prepping on the Decline?
« on: September 16, 2023, 11:05:06 AM »
I have been following a couple of Prepper forums/sites for the last few years, including this one. I have found them to be quite informative with coverage of various topics by knowledgeable people that are useful to most preppers. The discussions between members are always insightful. I have learned a lot and am grateful that I found these forums, and to the people who post on them regularly. While I don’t post that often, I try to follow the forums regularly.

I have noticed that over a longer time period many of the active members of the forums, me included, have gravitated toward what I call a homesteader mentality. It makes sense given our outlook on life and what it takes to obtain and maintain an independent lifestyle, not to mention that some of us are getting to retirement age. Regardless of this, I have also enjoyed the posts about various prepping topics such as bug-out bags, bug-out vehicles, communications, weapons, food storage, solar, etc. The list is long.

The real reason for this post is to present my perception that over the past few years the number of people interested in prepping, specifically as members of a forum such as this one, is on the decline. I write this because there seems to be far fewer new members each year than the last, and the number of active posters also seems to be on the decline. It appears that most of the posting is being done by the same few people. There is nothing wrong with this, but it does seem to be a trend. I am wondering if you are noticing this as well and if so, how you think it will affect us in general. I have noted over the years that when active membership in any organization starts to decline over a period of time it points to a change in the perception of the organization or movement. I could go on, but I am interested in what you think. Is this a concern?

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: Is Prepping on the Decline?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2023, 11:53:41 AM »
I see just the opposite.  Prepping is on the increase with all age groups.  That does not mean they all (or most) will actively join an online forum.  A lot of the new preppers are aware that what they say online is forever mortalized.  It can and will be used against you some day.  They are a lot smarter than I am.  As I travel about and talk to people, I see the prepper in them even though they do not admit it. 
Also some that have been on a forum a long time      just     go      black.

On some forums if you say the wrong thing you get booted (banned).  I was banned on another forum about the time I found this one.  The other forum members only knew that I disappeared. 

Surveyor1

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2023, 11:15:24 PM »
Simple answer, no prepping is not on decline…. Trust in the powers to be is n a steep decline and many people are choosing to keep their cards close.  Over the past 2 years I’ve had a number of people that thought I had list my marbles contact me on how to get started and what to do, so I gave them guidance.  There’s a lot more of “us” than we know and it’s growing every week.  Except for the 81 million that voted for Biden most people are not idiots and can see the writing on the wall. 

Most people don’t want to be “labeled” by todays standards and keep their business to themselves.  I know many that have simply gone dark and keep on keeping on…. Just like in the universe, we are not alone!
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

BennyMG1

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 06:31:59 AM »
I agree. Not on the decline at all. But it’s so easy for a novice prepper to get a lot of questions answered online. When I started, there was limited information out there. I had been “prepping” for two or three years before I found GPN online. GPN was in its heyday back then and I was thrilled to be able learn from the forum. I found so many things that was doing wrong and that I wasn’t doing. People that are interested in preparedness no longer have to wing it. There’s got to be hundreds, if not more, preppers that have online posts and videos. Joining a forum like ours is really no longer necessary. There are a lot of people in my county that are “preppers” and we even had a prepper store for a little while. I personally know of two groups in my general area and five or six individuals. There’s also a BOL close to me for a group that doesn’t live in the county. None of them are on SEPN or any other similar forum and have no interest in being a part of one. GPN/SEPN was conceived as an educational forum. At one time, we were one of few such resources. Now we are one of many.

Insofar as homesteading. IMHO, homesteading is a natural progression of prepping. A major tenet of prepping is being self sufficient. Self sufficiency is the PRIMARY tenet of homesteading.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

John Galt 1

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2023, 08:19:56 AM »
While I have no knowledge about whether "prepping" is going up or down I can say that homesteading is increasing in my area.

Smaller 5-35 acre little mini-farms with large gardens and some livestock are popping up almost weekly within 40 miles of my place.      Generally they are adult couples in their 50's who moved out from a large city and want to live a simpler livestyle with a lot more physical work.       

Most of them have little knowledge of tractors and varmint control which leads to some interesting conversations when I visit their property doing my job.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

nj_m715

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2023, 09:00:22 AM »
IMO homesteading and prepping are almost the same
at the very least the end result is the same
a homesteader doesn't care about an egg shortage, he has an egg factory in his yard
a dooms day prepper doesn't care, he has powdered eggs in the basement. and probably has chickens too

I think forum traffic is slow because we are old geezers holding on to remnants of the 90's BBS / IRC internet
the traffic is on snapchat tic tok IG etc
I have been on several groups or pages for different topics from DIY campers - now called van life to waste oil heaters / waste oil diesel fuel
many of them have been dead and gone for years
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/altfuelfurnace/
https://www.greasecar.com/forum
biodiesel.infopop.cc

people still do the activities, they gather in other corners of the web that are better suited to posting and viewing from smart phones instead of desk tops

BTW, all of those old forums are prepping forums
having a heater and a camper that run on garbage makes fuel storage cheap and easy

« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 10:17:52 AM by nj_m715 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal