Author Topic: SEPN Spring Campout and Appleseed - April 22-24th - Dublin, GA  (Read 23421 times)

Lilburner

SEPN Spring Campout and Appleseed - April 22-24th - Dublin, GA
« on: February 03, 2016, 09:48:27 PM »
It's that time of year again! Time for the Annual Spring campout and this year we're doing it a little differently. We're having a campout AND an Appleseed! If you're not familiar with Appleseed, check the next post in this thread.

The campout itself will run from Friday, April 22 to Sunday April 24th with some folks arriving on Thursday the 21st as normal. The Appleseed portion will start at 8:30AM on Saturday and Sunday the 23rd and 24th.

The campground is at the Appleseed range.
Middle Georgia Gun Owners Association's Twin Oaks Range
Address: 1609 Greg Couey Rd, Dublin GA

They recommend you use the directions on their website as opposed to Google Maps et al.

There is power water, restrooms, showers, and a kitchen.

There is NO fee/donation to SEPN this trip since facilities are provided on site.

These are charged as

Twin Oaks Camping with power and water. RV’s and trailers
$12 per day per 30 amp connection;
$24 per day for large RV using two 30 amp connections to get 50 amps;
$8 per day – loading trailers using a 110 outlet;
$5 per day – dry camping
No Fee – loading trailers with no dry camping, no electrical power

Twin Oaks Range is fully dedicated to supporting the Appleseed project.
We don't charge a range use fee and don't require a camping fee. Any camping fees would be appreciated.

The way we're reading this is that if you're tent camping, boondocking, etc., the camping is by donation. Then if you use hookups that's on top of a donation. More details likely to follow.

There's going to be more on Applseed in the next post to keep this one manageable, but the event info is at

http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-location.php?locationid=88&id_event=4190

and you register at

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/dublin-ga-appleseed-april-23-24-2016-tickets-19483072394

The costs are $60 for adults, $20 for minors and no charge for Active Military, Reserve, and Guard, Peace Officers, Disabled, (each require ID), Re-enactors in period dress, Elected officials (w/proof)

Register EARLY!

When you register, I'd like for you to note how many slots are open and put it in a post and we'll track the info up here in the top post. (When you start to register, it will tell you how many slots are open. Remember to subtract one. This way we can track the urgency of having all the slots fill up.

Currently we have

Lilburner: 26 slots available
stvr: 23 slots available
florida44: 21 slots available
Ravenwood1950 - 20 slots available
tlwagg (+2) - 17 slots available

04/13 - Honestly I lost track of the people and how to count them, but there are 7 slots left.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 09:45:57 PM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

Re: SEPN Spring Campout and Appleseed - April 22-24th - Dublin, GA
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 09:48:43 PM »
What is Appleseed?

It's probably best to start with their website.

http://appleseedinfo.org/index.html

In a nutshell, and from my perspective as a prior attendee - they teach marksmanship and history and how those are important to citizenship in the United States of America.

There's something in it for every level, from the rank beginner who needs safety instruction to get started to the expert marksman who attends to come away with the most coveted title in long gun marksmanship: "Rifleman". And everyone in between. No matter what your skill level, you're sure to learn something and have a good time.

This would be a good time to check out the "How to Prepare for an Event" page at http://appleseedinfo.org/as_prepare.html

Also of interest is the FAQ: http://appleseedinfo.org/as_faq.html

If you have any other questions or comments about Appleseed in addition to the campout itself, feel free to ask here!

At our February meeting at Bass Pro, we'll have a speaker from Appleseed giving a presntation and taking questions. You won't want to miss it!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:02:09 PM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 09:48:58 PM »
As the thread gets longer, I'll use this post to add some of the most pertinent information held within, either direct information or links within the thread. Check back often - subject to change daily!

Map of range and campground: http://seprepnet.com/forum/index.php/topic,761.msg4436.html#msg4436

Practice Target: I've attached a practice target you can print out at home. It's a 50 foot target. The actual Appleseed target is shot at 25 Meters, but the advantage of using a 50 foot target is you can print it on regular printer paper. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND practicing with a 50 foot target before locking in your sighting system! If you can't pick up the bottom targets reliably, you may want to consider a scope.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 07:57:26 PM by Lilburner »
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 10:55:51 AM »
Finally got some answers last night.

The campground IS part of the range, those not participating in the Appleseed shoot ARE welcome to come along for the weekend.  Pets are OK but should be on a leash at all times as the family that lives at the range to keep an eye on things has a dog.  The campground is usually only used for shoots so they doubt that we will have trouble getting next to each other or that we would fill the campground.  If the class is not filled up, there is Saturday registration so if you come to camp and change your mind about the class, you can participate.

Everything will be open for us from Thursday afternoon till Monday morning, restroom/showers, kitchen, meeting room (holds 50).  The kitchen is gas with some cooking stuff but be sure to bring what you know you will need.  There are no fire pits so bring one if you want to have a fire in the evenings.  Bring wood, too!  Remember there is water & electric hookups but no black water.

Melanie is the range rep and she is the one you should pay for your camping.  If she is not available the family on site can also take your $$$.   We might want to look at having one of the attendees collect all the fees and give them to Melanie or the shoot boss on Saturday or Sunday - just an idea.

They try to wrap things up by 3pm on Sunday and then you can try out some other weapons on the 300yd range if you'd like.  Be sure to bring at least 2 magazines for your class rifle as switching them is part of the class.  And plan on a simple quick lunch for both days.

The man I spoke with doesn't know if the speaker at your 2/27 meeting is from Dublin or not.

I'd like to personally reiterate that while SOME of our guys are competitive, this is not a contest, it's a learning experience so don't be shy.  I'm not coming to be a 'rifleman' and probably wouldn't pass the test but I know I will learn a lot about my rifles and shooting, so come along!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

stvr

• Global Chairman & Region 5 Leader
  • Global Moderator
  • Bugged Out
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 02:08:23 PM »
Thanks so much for the update. I cannot think of another question left un-answered. So again "GREAT JOB" in the follow up and posts.

Now its time to get registered everyone. The sooner the better.

Starlady, your right. This is a learning experience, and a great way to hone up the basic skill of shooting. Knowing that what you can hit at 25 yards you now can hit at 200 yards has to be a great feeling of accomplishment.

Lilburner, did you see that comment about not being a competition? As I see it, they are keeping score so we shall see. If I read the website correctly you need to shoot a 210 to get a patch, I guess it is a 300 point event. Hint, Hint  ;D ;D
stvr
USMC Retired - NRA Endowment Member

"There is no better friend... and no worse enemy than a United States Marine."

florida44

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 03:02:26 PM »
Very excited about this class! Have been reading up and thinking of ways to prepare. I think for some of us (hint me) will find it physically demanding but for a prepper a better scenario to hone your rifle skills would be hard to find.

And though we like to camp rough I have to admit I am looking forward to electric and water hook ups. We have a couple of those little metal fire pits and will plan to bring both so we can share one.

I read they will offer 30A, 50A and 110V electric for all the different hook ups needed. Looking forward to it and seeing everyone. Heres to hoping the dirt road going in will not be an issue for monster campers LOL like cedar creek.
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Starlady

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 03:24:19 PM »
IIRC, Nemo said it wasn't bad.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Lilburner

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 04:30:03 PM »
Lilburner, did you see that comment about not being a competition? As I see it, they are keeping score so we shall see. If I read the website correctly you need to shoot a 210 to get a patch, I guess it is a 300 point event. Hint, Hint  ;D ;D

It's not a competition at all. Having been there I understand that now more than ever. I didn't get my patch the first time out. The 210 is out of 250 - not a lot of room for error while learning new positions, skills, etc. I was also hampered by the first day out learning that I was a little too over the hill to pick up the 400 yard targets reliably with iron sites. It can actually be pretty humbling to otherwise good shooters (read on), but more than worth it.

Very excited about this class! Have been reading up and thinking of ways to prepare. I think for some of us (hint me) will find it physically demanding but for a prepper a better scenario to hone your rifle skills would be hard to find.

It IS physically demanding - more so than you think. It worked out to my advantage, though - I was signed up at the gym within a month after going.

~ Daniel Webster

stvr

• Global Moderator
  • Bugged Out
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 05:32:53 PM »
Well looking forward to it. My goal is to re-learn what I may have already been taught, and get back into the swing of using a sling. My personal goal would be to earn the patch the 1st time out. The course looks like boot camp rifle training. I may not have a M-16 to use, and it may not be a 5 day course, but I hope to do well. If all shots fired are at 25 yards and just small targets to adjust for distance. I think I will do well.
stvr

Nemo

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 09:26:59 PM »
IIRC, Nemo said it wasn't bad.

The campground is nice.  I would go there for a long weekend anytime.  If you are in the area, its a great range to join to go shoot and spend a couple weekends or mid week days just to get away.  My wife was interested in joining just for that purpose.  IIRC no Wi Fi so if you depend on that, you need to get away from it.

The driveway in is 1/2 miles, straight, regular 90 turn.  Plenty wide but be careful and GOAL (get out and look) if you are not sure.

But beware if its raining or rained recently you will be coming in on a dirt road, can be slippery S. Ga clay.  So if that happen(ed)(ing)(s) you will need a good wash asap when out.  The dirt road coming is a mile or so or a couple miles depending on which way you go in and that clay road when wet can be grease.  In case you do not know about.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Nemo

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 09:45:37 PM »

Its a competion as anything that involves men is a competition.  But more than anything it is a competition with yourself to shoot better and learn better.N

It's not a competition at all. Having been there I understand that now more than ever. I didn't get my patch the first time out. The 210 is out of 250 - not a lot of room for error while learning new positions, skills, etc. I was also hampered by the first day out learning that I was a little too over the hill to pick up the 400 yard targets reliably with iron sites. It can actually be pretty humbling to otherwise good shooters (read on), but more than worth it.

Yes, it can and will be.  I bet no more than 10% of those from here go home with a Rifleman Patch. N

It IS physically demanding - more so than you think. It worked out to my advantage, though - I was signed up at the gym within a month after going.

Yes it will be a bit physically demanding.  Might want to sign up at the gym now.  Keep in mind, you will be in  standing offhand, one knee, sitting and prone shooting positions.  The final score shoot will require all 4.  The majority will be prone

Make sure you take a shooting mat.  That is almost necessary.  Good 3/4" heavy poly foam 3 foot by 6 foot pad or something close.  A mil surp type sleeping bag pad would work.  Remember you will be on the ground, shooting prone and a good pad between you and the poly tarp is a really really nice thing to have.  A second pad to put under your chest or such would be another excellent thing to have.  They are really nice for a bed in a tent too.

Linked is a good example.   http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IM4Z66/
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 10:02:54 PM by Nemo »

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Nemo

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 09:48:11 PM »
Well looking forward to it. My goal is to re-learn what I may have already been taught, and get back into the swing of using a sling. My personal goal would be to earn the patch the 1st time out. The course looks like boot camp rifle training. I may not have a M-16 to use, and it may not be a 5 day course, but I hope to do well. If all shots fired are at 25 yards and just small targets to adjust for distance. I think I will do well.

I believe it is a standard military rifle course.  Its standard shoot at 25 meters and the targets are generally on the same sheet of paper, proportioned to standard distances.

Go ahead and think you will do well.  Self confidence is terrific to take anywhere.  But I will put a nickel up that you do not take a Rifleman patch home.

Nemo

florida44

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 10:00:25 PM »
Nemo - I will take you on that bet. I will put my money that if anyone takes a patch home it will be Stvr. Just say how much! Now me on the other hand...........sucker bet :)
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Nemo

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 10:13:37 PM »
Its a nickel bet and only between him and I.  The amount is irrelevant.  Its just a token to pass to note the winner.

If he has/had a MOS of 11B, 19D or 18 series and then an ASI of B4 the bet is off.  Pretty sure those are correct.  Apologies if not.

Nemo

stvr

• Global Moderator
  • Bugged Out
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 11:30:46 PM »

I believe it is a standard military rifle course.  Its standard shoot at 25 meters and the targets are generally on the same sheet of paper, proportioned to standard distances.

Go ahead and think you will do well.  Self confidence is terrific to take anywhere.  But I will put a nickel up that you do not take a Rifleman patch home.

Nemo

Consider the bet taken. My primary MOS was a 60/61. But that did include a few secondary MOS's which included Arial Gunnery Instructor.  Remember once a Marine, always a Marine. Every Marine is a rifleman. I made expert once in the many times I qualified or requalified. I was always scoring in the Sharpshooter range. Now in handguns or pistols I always qualified as a expert. In both the 45 and 9mm. When I was competing my average score (Yearly) was 278 in .22 and 297 in 45 out of a possible 300. I have won and lost in 45 matches with a score of 300, where you had to count in the xx hits.
Note that the rifle course was at 100/200/300 meters. In order to qualify, you fire a total of 50 rounds, worth up to 5 points each (depending on where you hit the target). The maximum possible points you can earn on this course is 250. To pass the course, you must earn at least 190 points, which will qualify you to wear the Marine Corps marksmanship badge. To become a sharpshooter, you must earn at least 210 points. In order to win status as an Expert, you must receive a score of at least 220 points.
So I say this:
       This is my rifle.  There are many like it, but this one is mine.  It is my life.  I must master it as I must master my life.  Without me my rifle is useless.  Without my rifle, I am useless.        I must fire my rifle true.  I must shoot straighter than the enemy who is trying to kill me.  I must shoot him before he shoots me.  I will.  My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make.  We know that it is the hits that count.  We will hit. 

My rifle is human, even as I am human, because it is my life.  Thus, I will learn it as a brother.  I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel.  I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready.  We will become part of each other. 

Before God I swear this creed.  My rifle and I are the defenders of my country.  We are the masters of our enemy.  We are the saviors of my life.  So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 01:07:08 AM by stvr »
stvr

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal