Author Topic: SEPN Spring Campout and Appleseed - April 22-24th - Dublin, GA  (Read 23527 times)

stvr

• Global Chairman & Region 5 Leader
  • Global Moderator
  • Bugged Out
Re: SEPN Spring Campout and Appleseed - April 22-24th - Dublin, GA
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 11:52:00 PM »
I have registered. There are 23 spots left.
stvr
USMC Retired - NRA Endowment Member

"There is no better friend... and no worse enemy than a United States Marine."

Nemo

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 01:32:37 AM »
Consider the bet taken.

OK, based on that you may take the nickel.  But the real question is, how long has it been since you shot that course of fire?  Is there any rust on the trigger finger joints?

In the interim, you may have sat at a bench and put holes in paper at 400m with ease.  But that will be a wee bit different than 5 rounds at 100m, safe rifle, shift to one knee, 5 rounds at 200m, safe rifle, shift to sitting, 5 rounds at 300m, safe rifle and 5 rounds prone at 400m.  Then do it all again, in reverse.  All in 210 seconds.  I think thats what the score course of fire was.  Its been awhile.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Lilburner

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 06:48:32 PM »
The competition and trash talking is fine among friends and all and to be expected, but I know that some people in this very group are actively afraid to expose a limited knowledge and skillset to more experienced people.

There are a lot of facets to Appleseed, and while more experienced shooters may strive to take home a patch, that's by far not the point of the event. The ones who have the most to gain and the ones who receive the most encouragement, support, and respect are those who do have limited skillsets or knowledge and are out there advancing those skills.

Anyone nearing a rifleman designation would drop what they're doing to aid someone in getting their first shot ever in the black. That's what's meant by it not being a competition. The less you know, the more you have to gain, and the more respectful people are for you seeking that out.

Just want to make sure people understand that.

Also - updating master list w/new registration.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Nemo

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 08:49:14 PM »
Got to agree with you completely there Lilburn.  I am 100% sure that 99% of the folks around here strongly believe the only dumb question is the one that does not get asked.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

stvr

• Global Moderator
  • Bugged Out
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 10:56:44 PM »
Your both right, and let me go on record saying this should be used as a learning experience, a way to add a skill or sharpen a skill. I highly encourage anyone who has a rifle, wants to use a rifle or even thinking of using a rifle to come and participate in this event.

To stress the point of those that may be intimidated by some competitive sprit, and afraid to show a weakness in this skill set. Please look at your motivation. If you want to learn, if you want to improve, then you need to participate. Let me try to use another skill set as a example here. You want to become a better cook. Yes you can boil water, but you have a opportunity to prepare a meal with Gordon Ramsey. Do you pass on that chance to learn something because your afraid you cannot cook like him? Your not at his level? Now this may sound cruel, but if you choose not to try then your really not wanting to learn or improve.

Way back when, I was learning to shoot pool. Having a friendly game with your buddies is just fine. Maybe you do pick up a few pointers here and there. When you start competing while your playing say for a drink at the local bar. You can either continue to lose and be buying drinks or you get decide to get better by practicing and continue to compete. Soon enough your not losing all the time, and a bit after that you start winning most of the time. I ended up being asked to play on a bar league to fill a slot on the B team for that bar. We placed 2nd that year, and my friend and I were asked to transition to the A team the 2nd year.

My point being, do not be afraid to either compete or place yourself in a position to compete with others that you think are better than you. The only way to improve is to challenge yourself. The easiest way to challenge yourself is to work with those that are better and learn from them. Sooner or later the student becomes a master. Yes "Grasshopper" it is your turn to take the reigns.

I know that Lilburner and myself have always been willing to help those that want to improve as many of you have helped me and him in other skills. This is what we are about and what we need to continue to do every chance we get.

So sign up, challenge yourself. I'll bet that nickel and we be glad to lose it to help someone do better that is trying to improve or learn. 
stvr

stvr

• Global Moderator
  • Bugged Out
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 11:13:08 PM »
Consider the bet taken.

OK, based on that you may take the nickel.  But the real question is, how long has it been since you shot that course of fire?  Is there any rust on the trigger finger joints?

In the interim, you may have sat at a bench and put holes in paper at 400m with ease.  But that will be a wee bit different than 5 rounds at 100m, safe rifle, shift to one knee, 5 rounds at 200m, safe rifle, shift to sitting, 5 rounds at 300m, safe rifle and 5 rounds prone at 400m.  Then do it all again, in reverse.  All in 210 seconds.  I think thats what the score course of fire was.  Its been awhile.

It's the other joints that have rust on them. How much I do not for sure. I am sure I will be stiff and sore after this. But a small price to pay to have the chance to bring that skill back to a shine and remove the rust. This event has a goal, to complete the course of fire as defined and score a certain amount of points. If you do that, they hand you a patch that you have earned. For me (and I am speaking only for me, no one else.) My goal is to do just that, earn that patch. I believe that setting a goal the right goal is just as important that achieving the goal. If I do not earn that patch. Then I will pick myself up and look at what I did, assess what I need to improve on and then improve by practice, so the next time or even the time after that I can achieve that goal.

So that being said, I will have a nickel in my pocket also.
stvr

florida44

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 06:02:56 AM »
Both good points. Stvr has the previous training that he is simply missing the muscle memory at this point. Others among us are veterans with the similar skill set and nothing wrong with having a goal to shoot for pardon the pun.

For the rest of us, well I also agree after much reading that the likelihood of myself earning a patch is probably not in the realm of reality. Saying that, if members of my group are there then I owe it to them to approach this with as much seriousness and preparation I can. I want them to see that I am capable of having their back and am reliable with a rifle. So I intend to prepare for this and use the scoring to determine where I need to improve.

It is totally okay to ignore the scoring part and take the weekend as a chance to have fun and improve your skills. So whatever your goal there is nothing wrong with it. Just show up thats the important thing. 

Spent some time yesterday at 25 yard line just working on reliably hitting the target. Took the awesome scope off my favorite 22lr. Out of 5 22lr rifles, well my best results with just sights was my AR-7 Henry gun and it doesn't have an easy way to rig a sling so not sure what to do about that. The worst was my ruger 10/22. Over the years folks have praised the 10/22 and I have to say that every time I shoot this thing I remain not impressed at least with iron sights.
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Lilburner

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2016, 12:13:27 PM »
Even a diehard 10/22 devotee will tell you that accuracy is neither their charm nor their forte.

"Accessorizability" I think is what they say. They're not interested in accuracy so much as buying a project gun and fixing it up. Be it for looks, tacticool, whatever. Accuracy is improved mostly by a barrel swap.

Serious shooters drop the pretense of buying a rifle altogether and start with a bare receiver. They're kind of the AR of 22s (AR 22s notwithstanding). You can even buy 80% 10/22s.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Country Singer

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 12:20:55 PM »
Here's a link to one of the better-known 10/22 accessory purveyors:  http://www.eabco.com/102201.html
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

florida44

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 05:35:00 PM »
I just do not get it. If I want to spend $200 I could just buy the Marlin, why would I want to spend more money on this gun? Sigh...............
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

florida44

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2016, 10:53:02 AM »
Am I missing the link to sign up and pay for Appleseed somewhere?
Region 2

florida44

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2016, 10:55:03 AM »
found it
Region 2

florida44

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2016, 10:59:17 AM »
This is confusing as to if there is a camping fee on top of Appleseed fee. If so I do not see how to pay the camping portion
Region 2

florida44

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2016, 11:18:45 AM »
21 slots left.
Region 2

stvr

• Global Moderator
  • Bugged Out
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2016, 01:42:32 PM »
Believe you pay for the camping on site when you arrive.
stvr

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal