Author Topic: SEPN Spring Campout and Appleseed - April 22-24th - Dublin, GA  (Read 23481 times)

Lilburner

Re: SEPN Spring Campout and Appleseed - April 22-24th - Dublin, GA
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2016, 01:52:30 PM »
Believe you pay for the camping on site when you arrive.

Yes camping is unrelated to Appleseed that way. Appleseed just happens to be holding this event at a range with camping.

Maybe Nemo can fill us in on some of the specifics of the camping.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

florida44

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2016, 03:19:36 PM »
He gave us lots of details already and that was awesome. It might be helpful to know if the RV sites are limited. I have a 34 ft bumper pull and wish I didn't. It was about stuck last year at Cedar Creek so want to make sure there is a good spot to put it and can get it in and out again - Nemo I looked at google maps and it didn't look like normal camper slots just a big field. Are there pads?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 03:56:39 PM by florida44 »
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Lilburner

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2016, 03:48:59 PM »
I looked at the maps too and didn't even see anything that looked like hookups.

I was thinking about asking Nemo to print it out and edit it with some supplemental markings like "here is the camping", "here is the Appleseed range". So since someone else brought it up, I'm officially asking.

Thank you for your service.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

florida44

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2016, 03:57:38 PM »
did you see where it looks like they have hook ups for rigs like yours?
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Lilburner

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2016, 04:23:43 PM »
I didn't see anything that looked like any hookups. I couldn't even really make out what was range and what was campground.

And what do you mean "rigs like mine"?. Are you ragging on my homemade camper? It takes a 30 Amp hookup, which by my understanding is standard. although it's way overkill and I usually run it off a 110 dogbone.

Did I mention I don't ever get it stuck?  8)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 05:16:10 PM by Lilburner »
~ Daniel Webster

stvr

• Global Chairman & Region 5 Leader
  • Global Moderator
  • Bugged Out
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2016, 04:36:49 PM »
If you go to the web site for the range, the map shows the areas for camping. Will try to get more information. There is a contact e-mail for the site.

www.mggoa.com
stvr
USMC Retired - NRA Endowment Member

"There is no better friend... and no worse enemy than a United States Marine."

Lilburner

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2016, 04:48:24 PM »
Good catch! I'll add that here and a screenshot of google as well

Here's a live link to the Google Earth https://goo.gl/maps/DyfspiQYMWA2

And a screen cap

Definitely don't see anything that would be characterized as pads. The hookups must be somewhat minimalist.

Of course it all works for me. I'm easy.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:54:57 PM by Lilburner »
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2016, 07:47:03 PM »
Little bump up to give a heads up that I'm now using the third post to add quick links to the things people are going to come back and reference multiple times before the event.

If you think any specific information should live close to the top of the thread for quick reference, let me know.
~ Daniel Webster

florida44

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2016, 08:08:17 PM »
I didn't see anything that looked like any hookups. I couldn't even really make out what was range and what was campground.

And what do you mean "rigs like mine"?. Are you ragging on my homemade camper? It takes a 30 Amp hookup, which by my understanding is standard. although it's way overkill and I usually run it off a 110 dogbone.

You know what I mean! And see you admit to switching over to110  8) Hey I am still jealous of your gigantimous ez up and yes you can look at this thing sideways and it will get stuck. I tried to talk reason and get something smaller but was outruled. I am still campaigning the topic
Region 2

Nemo

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2016, 11:01:25 PM »
Look at the photo of the area.  Top of the photo is north, for reference here.  Look at the SE corner of the building with the 5 cars parked around it.  Noted building B on the drawing.  Straight east of that corner you see a line and can make out some small pedestals. Those contain the water and electric hookups for that line.  IIRC 30 amp hookups only.  A bit out on that line you can note an electric pole by the shadow.  I set up my rig one pedestal to the right (east) of that pole and it was near perfect.  If it had a sewer hookup it would have been perfect.

It is a grass lot and pretty dayum level.  But with dirt you are not going to get perfect so a board or 2 for under wheels and landing gear will be good.  OF course if you have spent more than 3 nights in a camper you know this already.

The field across the lane from the range/buildings also has some hookups but I did not explore to see where when I was there.

From the downrange pic showing on the link above, appears there was an Appleseed shoot happening when that pic was taken.  There was several awnings or tent things down there when I was there for shade and such.  Firing line will be about 10 years toward the berm from there.

Nemo
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 11:08:43 PM by Nemo »
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Nemo

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2016, 11:37:36 PM »

You know what I mean! And see you admit to switching over to110  8) Hey I am still jealous of your gigantimous ez up and yes you can look at this thing sideways and it will get stuck. I tried to talk reason and get something smaller but was outruled. I am still campaigning the topic

The vast majority of campers out there under about 30 foot run on 30 amps.  Over than they generally use 50.  Its easy to tell which needs what.  Look at the roof.  If it has 2 a/c units up there, probably its 50.  If only 1 a/c, its most likely 30.  Some of the huge buses (2 rear axle, 4 tires per axle, class A) nowadays require 100amp service.  I really think if you could afford one of those you would ignore us and buy that 45 foot below ground bunker down the road from me.  Remember the one with the $15million price tag.

We occasionally have folks here that do not know what they need.  The easy way to tell that is to look at their shoreline power cord.  30 amp will be 3 prongs, Hot, Cold and Ground.  50 am will be 4 prong, Hot, Hot, Cold and Ground. 

Keep in mind every electric hot prong on a camper will be 110 volts.  That makes 30 amp rigs run 110 and 50 amp rigs run on 220.  Although if you are careful on usage you can adapt the 50 amp shoreline to 30 and run on that.

Nemo
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 11:39:16 PM by Nemo »

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Lilburner

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2016, 08:00:39 PM »
Bump/update - added a 50 foot practice target you can print out at home in the third post of this thread with general random information.

I suggest practicing with it before locking in your preferred sighting system to see if you need a scope instead of iron sights for the smallest targets.
~ Daniel Webster

florida44

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2016, 08:38:08 PM »
Okay I am hoping someone with Appleseed experience can answer this. I pulled my scope off and ordered tech sights. I have pretty bad eyesite and at this point coke bottle glasses and am not a candidate for laser surgery. I set up a target at 25 yds and used the larger targets I had on hand. In looking at the targets we will use I rather doubt I will be able to see the smaller lines and do not feel comfortable shooting at what I can not clearly see.

Saying that I thought you could not qualify for the patch with a scope but have read lots of folks use them. Also reading how the eye relief is an issue, etc. Not sure which way to go. Do not want to be considered a cheater either :)
Region 2

Lilburner

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2016, 09:17:11 PM »
You use what works for you. Iron sights are encouraged, even preferred, but that's for people can pick up the 400 yard targets.

I went the first day and gave the iron (Tech) sights an honest try. Came back the second day with a scope, but then I had to work on my zero, eye relief, sight picture, etc. and struggled to catch up.

I'll be using a scope in April.

I encourage everyone to try the 50 foot targets in the third post to help you decide your sighting system.
~ Daniel Webster

Nemo

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2016, 11:10:28 PM »
Good sight picture is most important.  If you ain't got that, you ain't on target.  Use what you need to get that.

Nemo
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 11:12:23 PM by Nemo »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal