Author Topic: Egyptian Walking Onions  (Read 2232 times)

tlwagg

Egyptian Walking Onions
« on: March 02, 2016, 02:14:35 PM »
Has anyone tried growing or tried Egyptian Walking Onions? I want to find out if they are a good alternative to regular onions. Since they are a perennials they'd be a addiction to a garden or herb garden.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Ravenwood1950

Re: Egyptian Walking Onions
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 03:26:50 PM »
I have some growing in the garden since last fall when I planted them, will keep you posted.
Ravenwood

Nemo

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 10:48:54 PM »
Have you tasted any?

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Starlady

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 10:37:30 AM »
I went with potato onions instead as they are bit larger than the walking onions, which are pretty tiny.  They seem to be pretty hardy as I left one bulb from each set when I pulled them in the fall and all are putting up green leaves again.  Most sources do describe them as a perennial and also say they are the longest lasting in storage.   They aren't quite as sweet as the granex hybrids (walla walla & Vidalia) but not as strong as the Spanish types, either.  I love 'em and from 9 planted bulbs last spring got enough to last me all winter with careful use but I'm going to plant more this year.  Cutting just a couple from each plant, I had plenty of green tops to use fresh, too.

Since they were described as perennials and onions are a great companion to strawberries, I put them in the strawberry bed.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

WalterWhite

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 08:53:41 AM »
I've grown Egyptian Walking Onions for about 5 years now.  We generally use them to flavor dishes instead of fresh eating.  We grow Texas Early Grano for fresh eating and when we need a "big"onion.  I leave some of the Granos out over winter and they'll divide themselves and grow again.  The EWO have a good taste, not too strong, but enough to know it's an onion.  The EWO take very little maintenance other than a good watering when a dry spell comes along and a good heaping of compost once a year. 
"I saw something nasty in the woodshed."

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 05:49:08 PM »
At the last campout (Fall2020) NJ_m715 gave me a small ball of onion sets.  He said they were Egyptian walking onions.  I planted them and here is a picture I just took of them.
Thanks nj_m715

John Galt 1

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 08:00:25 PM »
I'm also growing some walking onions NJ_m715 gave me in a planter box NJ_m715 told me how to make.      So far all is going well.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

John Galt 1

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 10:46:04 PM »
The walking onions someone gave me are starting to pop out this spring.     We have high hopes.     They have a sharp wonderful flavor.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 06:10:14 AM »
I planted a whole row of Egyptian walking onions.  We ate on them in the Fall with nice green tops.  Since it has turned cold the tops are mostly gone but the onions are still good.  The size is what I would call medium and I dig up a couple bunches every week or two.  The wife uses them in cooking.  We also have a row of multiplying onions that are very mild.  I am satisfied thet I will always be in onions.  This Summer I will move some up to my new camp site. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal