Author Topic: Best prices for Propane refill, and tanks?  (Read 6568 times)

nj_m715

Re: Best prices for Propane refill, and tanks?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 10:04:28 AM »
good to know, I was told the overflow valve doesn't allow them to fill the 1lb tank

Nemo

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 06:02:32 PM »
Its an overfill protection device or OPD.  Its like a valve in a toilet tank to prevent the tank from being filled too much, or past 4.7 gallons in the 20 pound tank.  It has no effect on the outgo.

But do turn your big tank upside down.  Otherwise you will fill the little tank with just the gas, not the compressed liquid.  A fill of just the gas will last about 3-7 minutes.  Supply tank upside down will fill your little tank with liquid.

You want to fill the little tank with the liquid fully pressurized so it evaporates as you use it.  A fill of the liquid should go a couple hours.

Next time you pick up a partially used can shake it and you will feel the liquid propane slosh around inside. The empty part is the gas that maintains the pressure so the liquid stays liquid.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Starlady

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 07:03:21 PM »
Since y'all know so much about this, I have a scaredy-cat question.  The tank that came with my RV does not have a gauge on it, I bought one.  Do I just make sure the gas is shut off, then unscrew the line, screw in the gauge on the line and attach the gauge end to the tank? 

Is there something I need to be careful of or look for?

Thx!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

SS-Preppers

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 09:21:47 AM »
Since y'all know so much about this, I have a scaredy-cat question.  The tank that came with my RV does not have a gauge on it, I bought one.  Do I just make sure the gas is shut off, then unscrew the line, screw in the gauge on the line and attach the gauge end to the tank? 

Thx!

Yup......I have been burned a couple of times with this......I purchased two gauges and they both leaked......I lost a lot of propane.....now I just take a bucket of hot water and pour it down one area of the tank starting at the very top.......just let the water run down the side......once all the water has been poured out, use your hand to run down the side.......you will feel the temperature change when you reach the level of the propane.  That's what I would suggest.

wiseguy

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 09:50:47 AM »

Thx!

Yup......I have been burned a couple of times with this......I purchased two gauges and they both leaked......I lost a lot of propane.....now I just take a bucket of hot water and pour it down one area of the tank starting at the very top.......just let the water run down the side......once all the water has been poured out, use your hand to run down the side.......you will feel the temperature change when you reach the level of the propane.  That's what I would suggest.

If your propane tank is in the RV, and you don't want to pour water on it, remember that propane tanks are filled by weight.  Get a scale and put your full tank on the scale, record the full weight. (think bathroom scale) When you are out of propane, check that weight.  Record the differences and you can judge how full your tank is based on weight.  There will be some variance based on altitude. 
I use this method for the smaller camping tanks.  I don't want to go backpacking and try to guess if I have enough fuel.  I also don't want to have to carry an extra tank unless I know I am going to need it. 
Hope that helps. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 09:56:42 AM by wiseguy »

SS-Preppers

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2016, 10:17:26 AM »
A.  That will absolutely work..........good idea.

B.  I would never keep a propane tank in an enclosed area.......especially attached to a living space...........you know what I mean.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 10:19:05 AM by SS-Preppers »

Starlady

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2016, 10:29:46 AM »
Ok, thanks.  It's not inside but I don't want to keep unhooking it and weighing it either.  I'll try the hot water test.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

wiseguy

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2016, 10:37:35 AM »
B.  I would never keep a propane tank in an enclosed area.......especially attached to a living space...........you know what I mean.
:)  I guess I could have been more clear about the term "in". :)  Some RV's have storage areas that are technically outside of the living area, but are in a closed door on the side of the RV, so technically they are "in" the RV.  These area's protect the containers from rain and sun, so the tanks don't heat up and rust. .  They are also harder to steal.   The downside is they may not be in a part of the RV that would drain water.  :) 
There are so many good knowledgeable people on this list.  its always interesting. 

stvr

• Global Chairman & Region 5 Leader
  • Global Moderator
  • Bugged Out
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2016, 02:16:43 PM »
Harbor Freight has a external gauge that goes in line. That might be a option.
stvr
USMC Retired - NRA Endowment Member

"There is no better friend... and no worse enemy than a United States Marine."

Nemo

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2016, 11:07:39 PM »
The line gauges are not a problem regarding leaking in my experience.  Go with a wrap of Teflon tape on threads on both ends and you should almost guarantee no leaks.

Gauges  are often a problem in accuracy.  I do not use them.   Weight is the determining factor.  You will quickly learn to feel and figure the fill level by picking them up.  Lift a full one a few times and you will get a a good idea.  A standard full tank will weigh right at 35 pounds. 

Then go to an empty one.  Empty weigh 15 pounds.  You will easily feel the difference.   Over a month or 3 you should be able to get a good idea of how much is in the tank by lifting. But give them enough usage between lifts to make a difference in weight.  Scales are a good idea when learning also.  Shake a partial tank and you can feel the slosh in there and that helps your estimate also.

Propane weighs right at 4 pounds a gallon.  Many grocery stores are selling sugar in 4 pound bags so you have a reference.  Its not hard, just takes experience.  And a spare tank in case you run out.  Thought-- check the Salvation Army type stores for a set of scales.  They can speed your learning curve.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal