Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Gardening/Farming / Re: Garlic Question
« Last post by Abigayle on April 24, 2024, 09:30:39 AM »
Surveyor. 1 I have never soaked my garlic cloves before planting them.  This was a newer crop for me, six years ago.  I have planted it ever since, doing both spring and fall crops.  When we lived forty minutes south of Atlanta, I planted two patches in raised beds, side by side.  One was hard neck the other soft neck.  I didn't have to dig them, since the soil was soft, so I could just pull them and shake them off.  When I pulled them and laid them on top of the soil, I could see that the soft neck bulbs had more that developed larger heads, but not to any extreme.
If you are using your new beds and your soil is light, you can plant the a few inches closer, since you won't be using a fork to dig them.  For those who are new with growing garlic, remember to cut the bloom off the top as soon as it forms.  It sucks nutrients out of the bulb.  The bloom resembles a Cala lily.  Back to soaking,  Mother Nature may have put that thin paper film over each clove for a reason.  It is possible that the garlic would grow faster at first, but may open an avenue for disease.  I still have two cloves left from last year that I missed, and six half pints of canned, maybe more.  I would never can them again; too much work, just store them right.
Homesteading / Re: Where To find tall poles to hold chicken netting overhead.?
« Last post by Fixit on April 23, 2024, 07:20:43 PM »
Bamboo was my first thought also . But being a first class scronge  .my second thought was watching peoples trash after a wind storm for the poles from patio table umbrellas .
Gardening/Farming / Re: Garlic Question
« Last post by RWS on April 23, 2024, 04:38:27 PM »
In South Ga. I plant my garlic in the Fall.  Soak?  Never heard if it......Mine just comes up when the soil temp is right at least that is what I thought.  It will be Fall before I can experiment..
Gardening/Farming / Garlic Question
« Last post by Surveyor1 on April 23, 2024, 03:51:50 PM »
Do y’all soak your cloves before planting, if so how long and do you add anything to the water?  Thanks as online there are so many opinions and different methods.  I would much rather trust someone that I know that has experience. 
Homesteading / Where To find tall poles to hold chicken netting overhead.?
« Last post by Abigayle on April 23, 2024, 02:32:41 PM »
We have a 48 inch  tall electric fence, around our chicken yard. It is solar powered.  We also have a run from the chicken house, where we can contain them in a smaller space.  Recently I bought a huge amount of plastic/nylon/? two inch netting to cover the whole yard.  We started out attaching to trees, but we don't have a clean shot from one end of the large area to the other.  We can't get the ceiling as high as we would like, in order to walk under it.  I also plant grains and have sand baths that need to be serviced. Of course, we have to get at the birds!
After searching on line, I have been unable to find tall poles, with a ball on the end, that can be pounded into the ground, to hold up the netting.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  It would not have to be made for this purpose.  We are considering using 7ft saplings, putting them a foot in the ground and using a little quick create.  We start ed the project, attaching to larger trees, but can't complete this method successfully.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  The objective is to keep birds of prey from swooping in at will.  Thanks for reading and thinkings this through with us!
General Prepping Discussion / Re: 2024 Spring Camp out
« Last post by Farside on April 21, 2024, 11:36:46 AM »
Ok, I took care of the other thread. On to business. Right now I'm only going to order one port-a-pottie. The turn out is way low this year, and with the low turn out there very little use to have and action. If you plan on coming but have not posted, please do so I can make changes as needed
A lot of interesting stuff.  Ammo, holsters, cases, body armor, gun accessories, and too many other items to list.  Auction ends 4/27.  50 lots per page and 19 pages so they have a lot of stuff, some good some junk…

https://bids.rowellauctions.com/auctions/30553-arrowhead-pawn-liquidation--remaining-inventory--day-2
Food and Water / Re: Homemade Vanilla Extract
« Last post by Surveyor1 on April 20, 2024, 12:09:44 PM »
I ended up with 4 - 16 oz bottles of ef extract.  2 bottles with vodka and 2 bottles with gold rum. I used 1 oz of beans per bottle so I’m sure this stuff will be rich and refillable 😎!  I guess I will let you know how it turned out in a year🤷‍♂️…. As a bonus my house smells great after cutting the beans😎.
Food and Water / Re: What a Great Day….
« Last post by Abigayle on April 19, 2024, 04:14:34 PM »
Anyone else with a sweet tooth?  I got to thinking that when things go south, I may not have time to stand around and bake cookies.
This week, I decided to take a look at instant pudding.  A small box takes two cups of milk, wish for two minutes...doable.  Walmart near us HAD one large and one small box of the chocolate, and the same in banana.  I had a gallon of raw milk, so made a small box.  I rehydrated some bananas and added some....pretty good.
My main point was the four boxes...total.  of instant pudding.
Each month, I concentrate on adding something to storage.  I am back to sweets.  Time goes fast.  I also noticed that one stick of Crisco (one cup). was $5.00.  They even made that box look like it contained two sticks.  I used an old can of Crisco this winter and it was just fine.  It also has other uses.  The five dollar stick was still there when I left....crazy times.  Big bags of rice were up apron 30% for the bigger bags, from a few months back.  Anyone seeing shortages, or price gouging?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal