Author Topic: Air Rifle for small game hunting?  (Read 3671 times)

wiseguy

Air Rifle for small game hunting?
« on: May 10, 2016, 11:49:34 PM »
The discussion on taking a deer with a .223 cal, reminded me of another topic I have been thinking about.  I have used a .177 cal air rifle in the past to take small squirrels before.  Larger varmints like possums can take multiple rounds without slowing down.  I have seen air rifles now in calibers up to .50 caliber now that can take animals as large as a coyote.  Has anyone given thoughts to using an air rifle for small game / varmint control.  I was thinking that something in a 9mm caliber might be the right happy place between caliber and the ability to take game.  I was also thinking that in a caliber like 9mm I might be able to make my own bullets from a bullet mold.  They even make suppressors on some models.  Anyone have any thoughts.  Anyone actually doing this? 

stvr

• Global Chairman & Region 5 Leader
  • Global Moderator
  • Bugged Out
Re: Air Rifle for small game hunting?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 11:55:31 PM »
Interesting question. I look forward to hearing what others may have to say.
stvr
USMC Retired - NRA Endowment Member

"There is no better friend... and no worse enemy than a United States Marine."

Lilburner

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 01:17:33 AM »
I don't know anything about them, but IV8888 did this video a couple days back that piqued my interest.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Nemo

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 09:34:31 AM »
I used an air rifle to thin the herd of squirrels at the campground.  Keep in mind they are so used to people I could get 10-12 feet from them.  One round in the eye and they were done.  But I if I did not get a clear shot at the eye, I moved on to his buddy 30 yard away and tried him.  Then went back to the first one.  Riding a golf cart made the target selection very easy.

Have you heard of that rifle caliber called 22?  They have some things called short, long and long rifle.  Might want to try one of them.  From what I hear they would be perfect for what you need and the purchase of the guns can be relative low cost and ammo is relatively cheap if hard to find.  Supposed to be making handguns for that caliber too.

Nemo
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 07:29:08 PM by Nemo »
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

SS-Preppers

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 12:26:44 PM »
I have a .177 cal to hunt small game when I don't want to use my .22 rimfire (or can't because the SHTF and the thousands upon thousands of rounds that everyone has stored are now gone or worth way too much as barter).  It is a very effective hunting tool......I have a spring piston break barrel, so the disadvantage is that it is a single shot......that is also an advantage in that these are the most durable type.

If you want to shoot a 9mm sized projectile, you would have to get a PCP rifle in .357/9mm......so, first off you are looking at close to $1,000.  The other issue with the PCP (Pre-Charged Pneumatic) rifles is that you have to load the reservoir tank with compressed air (which requires a compressor, which requires electricity etc. etc......you see where I am going).  The ones that I have seen usually hare 2 settings......a partial (low powered) discharge and a full power discharge (i.e. enough force to push a heavy projectile fast enough as to create enough energy to take down a larger critter)......well, then issue then becomes that at full power, you have 3-4 shots before you are out of air and need to recharge.......seems kind of pointless to me......I would rather have a pocket full of pellets and shot single shot style all day long than have 3-4 shots before I have to call it a day or hike back to recharge and go back out......I am sure I will come back with more meat being out all day with "unlimited" shots.

One more item.......while none of these are quite by any standard, the .357/9mm PCP rifles are, how should I say......loud as hell.

SS-Preppers

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 12:32:46 PM »
I don't know anything about them, but IV8888 did this video a couple days back that piqued my interest.

Tannerite Rocks.............

wiseguy

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 04:30:14 PM »
I appreciate everyone's comments thus far.  Here are my thoughts. 

I have several .22's and I am stocking up on ammo when I can.  That being said, pellets are really inexpensive and potentially something I could make should the SHTF. 

I already have a break action .177 that I use for smaller squirrels, but as mentioned, it takes a well placed shot and the longer the distance...well the harder the kill. 

When talking about the precharged air rifles, I agree that the recharge could be an issue, but the power behind the shot, the size of the tank, and size of the projectile will effect the number of shots per charge.  It is my understanding that you can recharge the cylinders with a bicycle pump.  (while it may not be the most efficient method)

When it comes to noise, some of the rifles have suppressors built in.  Something I think could be very nice, if I didn't want to draw attention.  I haven't seen that on a 9mm to 50 cal air rifle, so maybe that is only offered on the smaller caliber rifles. 

Cost for the 9mm rifle i was looking at was $600.00, so yes a bit pricey when you can buy a Ruger 10-22 for $250.00 or so, but the air rifle shoots 9mm round ball.  Talk about something that would be easy to make in a SHTF situation.  No gun powder or primers needed.   

So I see the ups and downs.  I am not 100% sold one way or another, but I might pick up another break action air rifle to back up the one I already have, but this time get one with a suppressor.  These are less than $200.00 at Walmart. 

I will continue to watch for your comments. 

Thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal