Author Topic: Anyone hunting this weekend?  (Read 6193 times)

florida44

Anyone hunting this weekend?
« on: October 30, 2015, 01:15:15 PM »
So it has been quite this week on the forum and thought I would pick a topic to stir things up. Anyone hunting this weekend?

I took my first deer opening weekend. It was just a spike but from all the reading we have been doing it is good management to cull them from the herd anyway. It was more fun than I thought I would find it. About to head back out and give it another try this weekend as well, in between 100 other projects at the BOL anyway.

So tell us if you are hunting this season and what it is looking like for you? Are you against it? Want to test you skills or maybe put up some meat?

Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

bountyhunter

Re: Anyone hunting this weekend?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 01:23:01 PM »
I went last weekend and will going back this evening and the rest of the weekend. Got to get in as much as I can before surgery.
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)
"Never miss the opportunity to train"

florida44

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 01:25:35 PM »
Good Luck!
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Amish

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 02:28:59 PM »
You know where I will be in the morning!!! ;D

florida44

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 02:30:02 PM »
So any great stories to share?
Region 2

Starlady

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 08:08:04 PM »
Me & 'the boy' will be out in the woods by 6:30am, looking for does.  Bucks have been scarce around the homestead this year but I don't care - meat is meat!  And we have a lot of girls around here.....

Wish us luck!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

florida44

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 09:03:32 PM »
good luck. You can here them moving all thru the woods here now that it is dark. Looking forward to sitting in a stand at first light. Being an early riser really works for me during deer season. Start and end the day hunting and work on BOL projects in middle of the day.

We are excited here too!
Region 2

Starlady

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 09:23:12 AM »
I bailed..............stayed up too late reading.  But Peyton's shot woke me and he's deboning as I drink my coffee.   Our deal was that I get 1/2 of his 1st one .............. I kinda like this way of hunting, lol.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

lets_prep

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 09:43:34 AM »
Hubby went out opening day and got a 214 pound, 8 point right before dark. He was sitting in the stand we put out on our property and looked across the field and barely saw him. He normally doesn't take a shot at something that far but he took it.  He uses iron sites on his mosin nagant and he took him at 172.8 yards (he used the range finder to check it). We didn't want to do a mount but kept the rack. Once he returns from his trip, he'll be heading out again.

As far as storing it, it's all just wrapped from the processor and sitting in the freezer. :D
Region 7

Nemo

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 09:45:19 AM »
Anyone need someone to join them?

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

florida44

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 10:01:40 PM »
I bailed..............stayed up too late reading.  But Peyton's shot woke me and he's deboning as I drink my coffee.   Our deal was that I get 1/2 of his 1st one .............. I kinda like this way of hunting, lol.

Glad you got some meat but totally does not count!!!!
Region 2

Wabbit

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 11:15:42 AM »
The old timers around here shared that they to wait until after 2nd frost before their 1st hunt because of ticks/lyme disease.  Also, snakes will have gone in hiding by then.

Warning- if you bag your 1st deer ever and want to drive around with it on the hood of your truck to show it off to everyone, don't!   Field dress it immediately to preserve it & get it to cooler ASAP.
"Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is NOT out there to kill you. "  (Mel Gibson~Conspiracy Theory)

elandil

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 02:19:08 PM »
Between dealing with learning about how painful weather/pressure changes and cold is going to be to my face/head and work, havent been out yet. I gotta renew my license this week, and am hoping to go after thanksgiving, plus im in on a quota hunt mid december.

On the positive side, ive almost dialed in a good load for my rifle. Last rounds were pulling roughly 2MOA at 100yds with just scooping the powder. Im gonna scale weigh the next batch, so i should get 1MOA easy.
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

florida44

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 02:54:12 PM »
We took a nice large doe this weekend, the freezer is starting to fill quite nicely. No worries about driving it around town, not quite our style and the deer cooler is not far. The pain is it always seems to be the evening hunt right before dark when we get lucky and fiddling with it all in the dark isn't the best of times. But all in good practice. Day8 has been quite the hunting coach.

Looking forward to the cooler temps. Elandil my thoughts are with you as I wondered how you were getting along in recovery of that injury. Hope you get to get in the woods soon and let us know how the quote hunt goes. I would love to try that sometime but for now just enjoying stalking around the woodline, foodplot and trying different tree stands.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 02:57:00 PM by florida44 »
Region 2

Wabbit

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 10:38:48 AM »
Heard a lady near me bagged a deer but a neighbor of hers told the game warden that she had been feeding them.  She says she feed them up until hunting season started then stopped but warden didn't buy it even though he found no evidence of feeding. Fine was $950 I think.

Florida44- did you field dress it yourself or were you close enough to cooler to get there fast?  I watched a video on field dressing ,  I need to get tougher.
"Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is NOT out there to kill you. "  (Mel Gibson~Conspiracy Theory)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal