Author Topic: Anyone hunting this weekend?  (Read 6192 times)

elandil

Re: Anyone hunting this weekend?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2015, 01:39:32 PM »
Quota hunts can be hit or miss. Quota and State park hunts are great ways to get into normally restricted hunting areas. The downside is scouting the area can be...interesting. Sometimes you only have a short amount of time, plus an area you scouted that looks great to you can also look great to others, and it becomes a case of first come/first served. But, again...when hunting is only allowed at a location a total of 2-8 days....

For example, the hunt im in on this year is the Coosawattee hunt. Limited to 400 people, im on the second hunt which goes on in mid-december. Its great because theres all sorts of fire roads cut thru, so on hunt days you can normally drive in 90% of the way. The downside...they dont open up the gates to those roads to the day before. So your scouting will all be on foot, and you can spend all day covering an area just so you can plan a 10 minute drive and hope you are beating everyone else to the site. Some people, (and this year that number may include me) drive in the night before and camp in spot. One feller even pulled his camper in and set it up in a open turnaround.

State park hunts tend to be the most sought after. For example, Red Top Mountain holds 1 2-day hunt a year. Its limited to 40 people, and it normally takes about 3-4 years to build enough priority points to get in. But for those 2 days those 40 people, plus however many wardens are on site, are the only people in the park.

http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

florida44

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2015, 02:17:40 PM »
Heard a lady near me bagged a deer but a neighbor of hers told the game warden that she had been feeding them.  She says she feed them up until hunting season started then stopped but warden didn't buy it even though he found no evidence of feeding. Fine was $950 I think.

Florida44- did you field dress it yourself or were you close enough to cooler to get there fast?  I watched a video on field dressing ,  I need to get tougher.

No, we took it to deer cooler as we always seem to take them at dusk and do not want to fool with it in the dark.

As for feeding them, that is strange as food plots are pretty common as are feeders. You can buy them in any Sporting goods or Feed and Seed. I think feeding them can have different meanings. Hmmm, maybe can can start a thread on rules or ethics but honestly when it hits the fan all bets would be off anyway.

Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

florida44

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 03:42:56 PM »
Wabbit - This will explain a bit more clearly the laws and ideas for deer conservancy on your property http://www.georgiawildlife.com/node/277 concerning food plots and feeding plots dos and do nots.
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal