Author Topic: Supposed to be pretty darn good for you  (Read 4986 times)

Nemo

Supposed to be pretty darn good for you
« on: July 22, 2016, 10:14:08 AM »
To the point they are doing real double blind studies on it.  Grow some in your garden.  Note added underline.

Might want to look at second link below for more info.  (story not brought over)

Nemo

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/04/26/patients-scrambling-to-try-type-2-diabetes-drug-that-could-extend-longevity.html

https://draxe.com/turmeric-benefits/

Patients scrambling to try Type 2 diabetes drug that could extend longevity
Published April 26, 2016 The Wall Street Journal

What if there were a way to stave off the creaks and calamities of old age? Nir Barzilai, director of the Institute for Aging Research at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, is working on it.

With word leaking out, seniors from all over the globe have been hounding Dr. Barzilai and his colleagues to get in on the action—with many writing to prove their worthiness. Never mind that formal patient recruitment is still perhaps a year away.

One 71-year-old sent a photo of himself along with a note: “still do 100 push ups every day!” A retired engineer disclosed his schedule: “Completing 2 crosswords a day; walking for 30-45 minutes daily; playing the piano for one hour a day; consuming 1000 mg of turmeric.”

“I constantly worry, how long will I be able to work; will I ever be able to retire and will I be able to care for myself when I’m older?” another prospective volunteer wrote.

“All humankind is waiting and watching,” wrote a 76-year-old who teaches “Introduction to Twitter” at a senior center in Las Vegas.

Would-be participants—from Cherry Hill, N.J., the Four Corners area of New Mexico, the Netherlands and beyond—have inundated Dr. Barzilai with calls and letters. Other researchers in the project have been swamped as well.

Behind the mania is a widely used, inexpensive generic pill for Type 2 diabetes called metformin. Scientists are planning a clinical trial to see if the drug can delay or prevent some of the most devastating diseases of advanced age, from heart ailments to cognitive decline to cancer. To test the pill, gerontologists at 14 aging centers around the U.S. will follow 3,000 seniors for six years. Half the seniors involved would get the drug, while the others would receive a placebo.
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Starlady

Re: Supposed to be pretty darn good for you
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 11:26:05 AM »
My doctor won't discuss herbal stuff that doesn't have some kind of science behind it.  She recommended I take some, along with CoQ10 - because I take a statin.

Love my doc!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Lilburner

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 07:53:04 PM »
My blood sugar got a little high I want to say about two years ago.

Doctor prescribed it, I went home and looked it up. Side effects included "reduced risk of cancer and extended longevity"

WTF? Next time I see the doctor I asked "Why doesn't everyone just take it regardless?" He said it gives some people an upset stomach.

I'm still taking it even though I don't have a blood sugar issue.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Nemo

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 08:00:32 PM »
Do you grow it, buy tablets or ??

Nemo

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Starlady

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 08:10:26 PM »
The temps required to grow the plant are too warm for all of Georgia.  68-86F.  It cannot take the cold at all.  I'd guess probably south FL would be the only place in the US to grow it, since it also requires a LOT of water.

Most people by the pills or take 1/2-1 teaspoon daily.  The spice seems to be more expensive than the pills, at least from what little checking around I've done.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 08:10:44 PM »
I have a prescription still.

I have a good doctor - he's a shooter and a bit of a prepper and gives me basically whatever I ask for because he knows I'm serious about maintaining health.

Never worked up the courage to ask him for an EpiPen, though.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 08:12:07 PM »
Heh. I just noticed the second link was unrelated.

I'd been going "Grow it? WTF?"
~ Daniel Webster

Nemo

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 08:16:31 PM »
Seems relatively easy to grow, inside or out.

Nemo

https://www.google.com/#q=growing+turmeric

WalterWhite

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 07:49:08 AM »
I grow it.  We're in Zone 8b.  It dies back every winter then re-emerges in the spring.  I planted a single root and it's multiplied.  It's quite happy here, big beautiful leaves.
"I saw something nasty in the woodshed."

Wabbit

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 12:07:56 PM »
I would love to grow some too.  Just need to find local organic source.   A person told me they bought some online -supposed to be organic but did not grow.   I am so leary of anything purchased online.
"Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is NOT out there to kill you. "  (Mel Gibson~Conspiracy Theory)

Starlady

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 09:16:42 AM »
An update on some info I found recently on turmeric.

I came across a website that mentioned taking 1/16th to 1/8th a teaspoon of black pepper with the turmeric because the piperine in the pepper increases the absorbtion of the turmeric into the bloodstream (up to 2000%).  Researched as many studies as I could find and then 5 days ago began taking it.  Within 3 days my hip pain is gone!

I'm only taking 500mg turmeric once a day and I'm seeing results that I never had when taking 1000mg.  ALL my aching joints feel better.

Throw the pepper to the back of your throat and down a good mouthful of liquid with it so you don't taste pepper all day.

I'm now a believer!

SS-Preppers

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 06:47:03 PM »
I have read several times that turmeric is fat soluble and you can increase the amount absorbed into your blood stream by adding coconut oil to it.....in fact, they all mentioned black pepper too......it seems like those 3 items are the key.....

I have not tried it yet, but I need to.....it seems to be the real deal.

Starlady

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 08:13:41 PM »
Coconut oil...……...hmmmm.  I'm seriously looking into Keto so that will be easy to add.  Plus, I might a boatload of it stored for soap making, lol.

elandil

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 03:35:19 PM »
An update on some info I found recently on turmeric.

I came across a website that mentioned taking 1/16th to 1/8th a teaspoon of black pepper with the turmeric because the piperine in the pepper increases the absorbtion of the turmeric into the bloodstream (up to 2000%).  Researched as many studies as I could find and then 5 days ago began taking it.  Within 3 days my hip pain is gone!

I'm only taking 500mg turmeric once a day and I'm seeing results that I never had when taking 1000mg.  ALL my aching joints feel better.

Throw the pepper to the back of your throat and down a good mouthful of liquid with it so you don't taste pepper all day.

I'm now a believer!

sounds like if you wanted, you could get bulk turmeric powder, mix in an appropriate amount of pepper, and make your own gelcaps. Or, depending on how things are, buy the 1000mg gel caps, open them to dump a little of the turmeric, and add in the pepper that way.

I may have to look into this.
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

8greenbeans

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 05:05:59 PM »
I have read several times that turmeric is fat soluble and you can increase the amount absorbed into your blood stream by adding coconut oil to it.....in fact, they all mentioned black pepper too......it seems like those 3 items are the key.....

I have not tried it yet, but I need to.....it seems to be the real deal.

Actually there are 4 key components:
1) turmeric
2) black pepper
3) a fat
4) heat

Do all 4 for maximum absorption by the body.

Star, I'm heartened to hear simply adding black pepper to the regimen made that much difference even without the other two components!

USMC Veteran
LEO & USAF Vet Mama
Navy MIL
Army Daughter
8 Beans + 1 BonusBean
9 GrandBeans + 1 on the way
4 Beans-in-law + 3 Future-in-laws
1 MrBeans

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal