Author Topic: need hvac help  (Read 5431 times)

elandil

need hvac help
« on: May 07, 2016, 01:58:31 PM »
Ok. I HATE Rats!!!

AC hasnt been cooling lately, thought filter needed changing. Well, the systems under the house, so gotta crawl under there to replace. Friend came over to help, crawled under and said it felt like a refridgerator under there. Looks like I have rats, and they have been chewing holes in the insulation....  >:(

Need some recommendations on good patch to fix the vents. Anyone got any recommendations?
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

RevJammer

Re: need hvac help
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 02:02:56 PM »
Are they all hard metal ducts or are the flexible ducts?

RJ

Lilburner

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 03:30:15 PM »
There's a certain kind of tape... You can put it on ducts...

Shoot - it escapes me.

;)

In all seriousness, though, it sounds like the damage to the ducts is the secondary problem, with pest control being the first priority.

The elusive mystery tape should make the house cooler in the meantime.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

elandil

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 04:22:32 PM »
Are they all hard metal ducts or are the flexible ducts?

RJ

Foil cover insulation style. Holes range from Quarter size to palm size. Put duct tape on for now. Still cant find where to change the filter at...

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

Buster

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 05:53:43 PM »
the filter should be at the unit under the house or in the return grill in the house
If you have flexible ductwork there is little that you can do to stop the critters from chewing it up short of replacing it with all metal duct---they seem to love the stuff--

RevJammer

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 06:02:50 PM »

Foil cover insulation style. Holes range from Quarter size to palm size. Put duct tape on for now. Still cant find where to change the filter at...

When you get a chance, go to a HVAC supply store ( I don't think Lowe's or HD will have it, but they might).
You need metal foil tape, not just "duct tape".  The metal foil tape will have a type of mastic for the sticky side that is a huge improvement over plain duct tape (it's also quite pricey).

RJ

elandil

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 06:22:31 PM »
the filter should be at the unit under the house or in the return grill in the house
If you have flexible ductwork there is little that you can do to stop the critters from chewing it up short of replacing it with all metal duct---they seem to love the stuff--

Yeah, returns in the floor, so its gotta be in the unit. Just gotta figure out where.

Think I need to find me a barn cat....and toss some poison under there...

KM4CUY

R-1

Nemo

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 08:28:32 PM »

Both are good ideas but do not do both at once.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

elandil

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 02:45:45 PM »

Nemo

No, but theres some strays running around the neighborhood, so I set a coupla live traps last nite, see if I can't get one to throw in the fenced backyard. ;)

« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 02:48:31 PM by elandil »

KM4CUY

R-1

ProGeek

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 07:07:00 PM »
Elandil, you have another problem. The vermin have been living in your AC ducts, meaning rat/mouse poop and pee are in your vents. 1st you need to kill the pests. If you don't they will eat through the new ducts. I don't recommend poison. I've had them die in inconvenient locations that I had to tear up walls to get too. Set traps, lots of them inside and under the house and check them daily.  Once they are dead, replace all the ducts and sanitize the AC unit.  FYI, what I thought were rats ended up to be a fox using the ducts to hunt mice in the house.  Make sure the underside of the house is sealed off, fix any holes to prevent anything from getting in and secure any door or vent. Contacting a professional would not be a bad idea.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

Nemo

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 09:06:27 PM »

Nemo

No, but theres some strays running around the neighborhood, so I set a coupla live traps last nite, see if I can't get one to throw in the fenced backyard. ;)

Yeah, it will be there about 16 seconds then out the non-existent hole in the fence or over it or under it.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

SS-Preppers

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 10:18:54 AM »

Yeah, returns in the floor, so its gotta be in the unit. Just gotta figure out where.

HD and Lowes both carry it..........

ProGeek

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 03:40:01 PM »
Maybe Farside could help you out with the critters. He's a pro. Send him a PM.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal