Author Topic: A brief overview of modern Military Rations  (Read 2808 times)

elandil

A brief overview of modern Military Rations
« on: June 15, 2016, 06:29:41 PM »
so, before we get into the history of the MRE, which is the modern combat ration, I thought we would take a look at all the rations our US military uses, with a brief overview of each to help with the understanding for the next parts...

So lets break down some of the mystique in the Acronyms used for US Rations....

-MRE-Meals, Ready to Eat
         the basic standard. One meal, consisting of a entree, side, dessert, beverage(s), and snack(s). Developed to meet the needs of warfighters in combat or during strenuous activity. Items can be eaten as-is, or can be heated with included heater.

-FSR- First Strike Ration
_ or on the move. Meant to be eaten as-is. Mostly easy fix/easy eat items like shelf Stable sandwiches, electrolyte beverages, desserts, snacks, etc.

-MORE-Modular Operational Ration Enhancement
         addendum pack for the FSR. Contains more high energy/high protein snacks, beverage powders, energy gels, etc.

-MCW-Meal, Cold Weather
         Meal designed for soldiers operaing in cold/wintery environments, where water is not an issue. Contains a Freeze-Dried entree, warm beverages, soups, and high calorie snacks. Designed to help keep the soldier warm and hydrated.

-LRP- Long Range Patrol Ration
         Same as the MCW, except more emphasis on hydration and less on warm/temp items. Again, FD entree, electrolyte beverage items, and high calorie snacks. Originally developed during Vietnam to assist Special forces operators who were spending long times out without supply.

-TOTM- Tailored Operational Training Meal
         meal designed with a lower caloric content and containing more off-the-shelf type items, for the soldier to use in less active environs like classroom instruction. Basically, MRE Light. ;)

-UGR Heat and Serve
         Aside from the UGR-E, the UGR-H&S is intended to be the first group ration available in theater, often utilized in combination with the MRE for daily feeding. The UGR-H&S can be prepared on field kitchens without refrigeration capability. Like all Unitized Group Rations, the UGR-H&S simplifies the logistics chain by including everything needed to serve a group meal in a single NSN.

Each UGR-H&S module contains 50 servings of pre-cooked food, serving utensils, dining packets, trays, and trash bags.         

-UGR A
         The UGR-A is designed to provide restaurant quality group meals to Warfighters in the field. It is the most highly accepted ration in the UGR family. The UGR-A is the only military operational ration that contains frozen food components. For that reason, it is based on a build-to-order assembly process that requires refrigerated/frozen storage and a field kitchen for preparation.

-UGR M
         The UGR-M is used primarily by the Marine Corps. It is designed to meet requirements for providing Marines with high quality group rations that do not require refrigeration and are quick and easy to prepare. All ingredients in the ration are shelf stable, with an emphasis placed on including commercial products in all menus.

-UGR Express, (UGR-E)
         The UGR-E provides a complete meal for 18 Warfighters in remote locations where group field feeding would not otherwise be possible. It is a compact module that does not require cooks or a field kitchen for preparation. With the simple pull of a tab, the UGR-E is ready to serve in 30-45 minutes. One UGR-E module provides all of the items necessary for a complete meal to serve up to 18 Warfighters, including 4 trays of cooked food, drink pouches, snacks/candies, compartmented dining trays, seasoning, disposable eating and serving utensils, condiments, beverages, napkins, wet-naps, and trash bags

-NSCM- Navy Standard Core Menu
         The Navy Standard Core Menu (NSCM) is designed to standardize food service throughout the Navy fleet while providing more variety and nutritious choices to Sailors. It meets the diverse tastes of US Navy sailors by offering old favorites like pizza and burgers along with more ethnic choices, like vegetable stir-fry and chicken fajitas. The NSCM facilitates a more streamlined procurement process and ensures consistency in product availability.

Meal, Religious, Kosher for Passover....
MRE-Halal (very, very hard to find, leading people to believe they don't exist..and they may not...)
HDR- Humanitarian Daily Ration- Special ration developed to give out that meets or does not break all religious or other food restrictions. Usually a vegetarian entree, PB and crackers, toaster pastry snacks, and some other small things. Good to give out to the local populace as a Hearts and Minds deal, or in disasters in 3rd world countries.

Next, we will look at the history of the MRE, and how it came about.
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

elandil

Re: A brief overview of modern Military Rations
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 06:41:32 PM »
And just for Starlady.....  ;)

http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

SS-Preppers

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 09:36:04 AM »
Great info from both............thanks!!!!

Starlady

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 11:21:43 AM »
Good info.  The calories are important!  I'm going to assume that there is other nutritional value there, too?   Because short term food is great but some nutritional deficiencies can show up in as little as a few weeks.  And, too much of something can be just as bad.

That's where I've been focusing lately.  As an example:  I love kales, cabbage, chards, spinach, beet greens, etc. and grow them (or try to-I'm talking to you spinach!) every year.  BUT, they all contain oxalic acid or cousins of that and more than 2-3 times a week of a standard serving RAW can cause kidney stones.   Cooking greatly reduces the oxalic acid.  Oxalic acid interferes with the absorption of calcium.   

Anyway, I'm trying to change my garden & seed purchases over to things that contain more of a variety of nutrients, including trace minerals, and things that contain MORE of the things we need.  Strange..........but most of those things are herbs, things we normally consider to be weeds and older versions of standard veggies.

Still, thanks for this info - emergency rations are important, too.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal