Author Topic: How to build a Portable 420 watt Ammo Box Solar Power Generator  (Read 4629 times)

tlwagg

Here's a great project from practicalsurvivalist.com.

How to build a Portable 420 watt Ammo Box Solar Power Generator. Very Detailed Instructions,perfect for beginners

"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

wiseguy

Re: How to build a Portable 420 watt Ammo Box Solar Power Generator
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 03:45:00 PM »
Not bad. Probably didn't need two hours of video to do what he did, but it is a nice idea.  He could have moved his voltage meter to the end of the box near the switch and that would have given him the room he needed for the spade connectors as well. 

I built something similar with the charge controller in the battery box as well as a power inverter and AC outlets.  It has a ham radio installed in the box, so I can grab it, and go with a radio, power USB devices, and even run a laptop through the AC power plug.  I am working on a newer version that will hold more radio gear and have a AC power charger as well as the solar charger in one kit. 

The key is making sure you don't run the battery down below 20% charge (don't use more than 80% of the battery) and make sure you charge the battery enough in the sun when you have the time.  The size of solar panel and the amp output will make a difference in how long your batteries can last. 

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 07:36:04 PM »
OK, so what can I run off this set up if I go with the 420 watts?
Ravenwood

Lilburner

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 08:26:58 PM »
I didn't watch the whole thing - mostly skipped around and looked for a materials list and never found one.

The question is more "what can you run and when and for how long". there are too many variables for it to be a linear answer. i.e. Do you want to run your thing for just one day, or do you want capacity enough to run it for X days if there is no sun.

That all comes down to the battery. I don't know what size he was running there, but I know an 18ah absolutely FILLS the ammo box he's using and he's nowhere near that, so maybe 10ah. I'm not solar expert, but it seems like he's really screwing himself over with the battery choice.

It would be better to work the other way 'round - what you want to do determining what you need.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

chainsaw

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 08:58:27 PM »
I watched the first part, and looked on YouTube for a parts list - didn't see one. I did see comments that his USB port might be providing the wrong output. Couldn't tell if it correctly converted the 12v to 5v.

The videos are missing the needed details (parts list) and his wiring is not efferent. I smiled when he realized the battery was in the way of the volt meter. Guess he didn't do a layout plan.

I'm wanting to do a battery pack (not "generator") myself for my radios, maybe I'll do a video. I'm an old TV repairman, so I hope I can do a good design. :-)

KK4WBK - General HAM

wiseguy

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 10:45:57 PM »
I built my radio go box based on this basic plan.  http://solarburrito.com/build-your-own-solar-power-generator/

I put it in an old pelican case with a 7 amp hour battery.  I also put in extra connections so I could hook up more than one solar panel.  The radio uses about a half an amp per hour for stand by, and 1 amp per hour for transmitting.  So without a solar panel, you would get 14 hours of monitoring.  If you add the panels, you can extend the battery life.  The panels I have will take 7 hours of sun to charge my battery.  Assuming I am not using the battery. 

The whole thing with solar panels is that they don't produce very much power to recharge the battery.  So if you plan on running something 24 hours a day, you will need more panels and more batteries. 

In an attempt to go "off grid" I did some playing around with the idea of powering a small college dorm sized refrigerator.  The number of panels I was going to need, the inverter, and the number of batteries needed was just going to cost too much.

Anyway, its a fun project to play with.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal