Author Topic: Should You Relocate  (Read 4941 times)

Nemo

Should You Relocate
« on: August 01, 2016, 01:17:28 PM »
as in out of state or farther away?

Nemo

http://magazine.foxnews.com/at-home/which-states-would-and-wouldnt-survive-zombie-apocalypse

Included here is a summary. Go to link below to get the details.  Click it, you really should.  You might want to move.

http://blog.estately.com/2016/07/does-your-state-have-what-it-takes-to-survive-a-zombie-apocalypse/

Which States Would (and Wouldn't) Survive a Zombie Apocalypse?
By FOX News Magazine | July 31, 2016

If you’re a fan of "The Walking Dead," or you often wonder how you'd fare against a horde of zombies, the charts below should interest you.

The real estate bloggers at Estately recently deteremined the states with the best and worst chance of outliving the undead, and the results are a little shocking. For instance, the state of Georgia — where "The Walking Dead" takes place — only ranks 41st in the likelihood of surviving an apocalypse: not very high.

So, where should you move if you want to survive? Alaska.

Estately arrived at these results by studying several factors, including: the population of each state (the bigger it is, the worst the plague would be); the percentage of each state that engages in physical activity (you'll need to run); the percentage of gun ownership (aim for the head!); and the percentage of cremations vs. burials (ashes won't reanimate).

So if you live in a desolate area, know how to shoot a gun, and exercise pretty regularly, congrats! You’ll most likely survive a zombie apocalypse. However, if you live in a highly populated area, have never held a gun in your life, and can’t remember the last time you exercised, well, let’s just say it’s not looking good.

Check out the chart below to see where your state ranks, then maybe start packing your bags:

« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:23:27 PM by Nemo »
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Starlady

Re: Should You Relocate
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 03:02:30 PM »
Once they eat everyone in Atlanta, the rest of the state is in good shape - our averages would go way up.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

wiseguy

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 03:02:39 PM »
Finally a list where Georgia isn't on the bottom.  Unlike the education charts. 

Nemo

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 11:20:04 PM »
Once they eat everyone in Atlanta, the rest of the state is in good shape - our averages would go way up.

But even if only 20% were just turned and not eaten that would be one big pile headed out any/every direction.

Nemo

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

SS-Preppers

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 12:24:05 PM »

The same could be said the almost anything in general regarding Georgia............if we could just get rid of Atlanta.......I can't wait until I can get another 40 -50 miles further away then I am already.

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 03:16:30 PM »
Not to rain on the fun or anything, but for the sake of conversation - something I'm curious about.

Am I the only one actively turned off by the "zombie apocalypse" thing? The fiction is fine as fiction, and even some elements of it like zombie squad as long as you accept it as thinly-veiled tongue in cheek prepping. But one of the biggest things I hate is zombie-themed firearms made by actual manufacturers. I applaud people who decorate and customize their guns - I do it myself, but they shouldn't come from the manufacturer with "an air of whimsy". I guess the thing that I don't like this thread specifically is "statistics" implying a probability of rising from the dead.

Carry on and all - I'm not complaining that it's offensive or anything, and I don't judge people for playing along and having fun, certainly. I don't mean it to be negative toward people or even having the conversation - just curious if I'm the only one who rolls their eyes somewhat when it gets a little to serious.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

wiseguy

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 04:08:02 PM »
I get a kick out of the movie and TV fiction.  I don't look at it as instructional when it comes to prepping.  :)  As it relates to the firearms and other "survival" products I do think its a bit of over kill. (pun intended)  I treat it much as the same as when people customize their items with other colors and logos.  I think the most ridiculous item is the Zombie ammo, but I have seen people that reload their own ammo and they use colored projectiles.  Its only for the looks. 
I will say however that some people that want to get into prepping but are afraid of the stigma associated with the terminology might feel better telling their friends that they are prepping for the zombie apocalypse.  Maybe their friends are more accepting of the fantasy than the reality. 

Starlady

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 06:31:10 PM »
I don't even care much for the zombie apocalypse fiction.   I have read a few excellent ones where the zombies were the back story and the medical or military story was the main line but just runnin' & killin' Zs doesn't do it for me.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Nemo

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 10:21:14 PM »
I don't even care much for the zombie apocalypse fiction.   I have read a few excellent ones where the zombies were the back story and the medical or military story was the main line but just runnin' & killin' Zs doesn't do it for me.

I pretty much agree.  But they ARE coming.  If only on the smartphone as they walk into traffic or off a 50 foot cliff catching pokemon.

Nemo 

Gunner

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 03:32:54 AM »
I sometimes joke that the "ZOMBIES" are the non-preppers that are out there, lost, roaming around aimlessly... not knowing what to do.... I'd like to think that there is some perspective in all of what they show in the movies, but the main thing is to be ready for anything.
U.S. Army Signal Corps
U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
KK4KUB
Region 7, Georgia

Amish

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 08:21:11 AM »
 If the Rabies virus changed (witch virus do everyday) into a airborne pathogen we would have a real problem. CDC estimates 4 billion would die and that they would never be able to control the virus despite any attempt of trying too. While not as seen on TV, people infected would show signs of aggressive behavior that would be familiarized as "zombie like symptoms". The aggressive behavior is the final stage of the virus so they would die 24 to 48 hours after this onset of this phase.They would not continue on a journey to walk the earth and feed on people after this phase. National Geographic done a pretty good episode on the theory if you can find it on the internet. I watched it on amazon fire stick a few weeks ago and it is a interesting watch. I don't know that I would call it a zombie apocalypse rather more of a pandemic.

Nemo

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 09:57:21 AM »
I just realized and looked.  Being in Va now, although SW, it is 48th on the list.  I think I need to get a better bunker, and MRAP.

Nemo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal