Author Topic: Where is your food grown?  (Read 3002 times)

tlwagg

Where is your food grown?
« on: August 04, 2015, 01:25:27 PM »
I just found out that all the garlic in the spice isle is coming form China. The only exception is when it is labeled California not California type. Even Whole Foods organic garlic is from China.  I called McCormick and was told they don't put where the spice was grown on the bottle so who knows where you spices are coming from.

If you want US grown garlic you can find it online or at Costco.

I also called White Lilly flour and was told that they grow most of their wheat here but from time to time supplement their stock from outside the US. Be careful when you read the labels just because is packaged in the US doesn't mean it grown here.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Starlady

Re: Where is your food grown?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 04:40:49 PM »
I grew enough to last me for 3-4 years......and since I'm 1/2 Italian that tells you.........a LOT! :)
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 07:49:04 PM »
Well, I am solving the garlic problem by growing my own and plan to plant a lot this fall. Hopefully enough to begin selling it locally. The wheat problem?? Doesn't one of our members grow wheat and can sell it to us to grind for flour? I planted a little wheat just to see how it grew and when it would need harvesting, it wasn't too bad to grow. But to harvest it, thresh it and get it ready to grind would be some undertaking and how much wheat does it take to provide for my needs? A lot to consider.
Ravenwood

tlwagg

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 08:51:27 PM »
Here's how to thrash your wheat with a drill and chains.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

crplhood

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 09:53:46 PM »
Spices are grown all over the world, most having ALWAYS been imported. You tropical fruits are all from the tropics, or ca/FL.  Wheat and corn is typically from here, as (I think) we are still the major share producer on this planet. It's hit or miss on meat. Most beef and chicken is local, even the box brand stuff like tyson is being prepared at regional packers like Hilltop in rock mart and that place I can't remember the name of in Cartersville. A suprisingly large amount of pork is now coming from Asia, and unfortunately it's cheaper and it tastes better than ours, hence why the pork market i's hurtin. Greens depend on how long they last and what part of the season we're in e.g. bok choy can be shipped here from the east on a freighter in two weeks, but not the same story for romaine which breaks down far more quickly. Rice is typically not from the states, unless you buy the expensivery stuff. It's like oil, we buy cheap from the east so we can sell ours at a nice profit. I think most box food is from here, Europe, or Canada, but I honestly haven't looked as much into box stuff as the rest.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal