Author Topic: "The Importance of Multiple Fuels in Your SHTF Cooking Plans"  (Read 1745 times)

Lilburner

"The Importance of Multiple Fuels in Your SHTF Cooking Plans"
« on: September 01, 2016, 04:05:36 PM »
This is something that I've practiced, but I am missing one component. I don't have a gasoline ("dual fuel") stove. So I need to be on the lookout for that. I have an extra propane stove if someone has an extra dual fuel  they want to swap.

Another thing worth studying if you plan to use gasoline is siphoning. Apparently you can't siphon from modern cars with any conventional tubing. You need something hard, thin, and flexible at the same time. "plastic icemaker line" has been suggested. Of course siphoning would only apply to your own vehicles or those fully believed to be permanently abandoned in a crisis.

http://preparednessadvice.com/cooking/backup-cooking-methods/#.V8iHVFzvfnM

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

wiseguy

Re: "The Importance of Multiple Fuels in Your SHTF Cooking Plans"
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 05:00:07 PM »
Skip the siphon method and use the hole and bucket method.  Drill or punch a hole in the bottom of the tank, and catch the fuel in a bucket. 
If I didn't want to damage the tank, then you would have to try siphoning. 

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 05:13:12 PM »
Live and learn........didn't know there were stoves that used GASOLINE.  I thought it was a total no-no.  And while I know you can grill over propane, can you do the same with gasoline or does it make your meat smell like oil?

One caution from experience for anyone doing outdoor cooking - if you are cooking right over the fire (grilling, etc) DON'T use anything pine.  The article mentioned cones & wood.  It will impart a horrible flavor to your food, so horrible you won't want to eat it.  Heating in a pot on the rocket stove?  That's fine, no issues.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 05:31:05 PM »
We have a dual fuel stove by Coleman but I think we've always used the Coleman liquid fuel.  I think the Coleman fuel is supposed to burn a little cleaner.  I don't think I would be brave enough to grill with that or with gasoline.  I would definitely want to use a pot or pan if I had one.

Lilburner

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 07:42:45 PM »
Skip the siphon method and use the hole and bucket method.  Drill or punch a hole in the bottom of the tank, and catch the fuel in a bucket. 
If I didn't want to damage the tank, then you would have to try siphoning.

Yeah, definitely a factor of whether you want to damage the car beyond future use. I think that would depend on the situation. If we were looking at being at least partially back online in a year or so, I probably wouldn't ruin strangers' cars. If it was the be-all, end-all no coming back from it - kind of moot.

Live and learn........didn't know there were stoves that used GASOLINE.  I thought it was a total no-no.  And while I know you can grill over propane, can you do the same with gasoline or does it make your meat smell like oil?

The newest ones, marked "Dual Fuel: say "Runs on Coleman Fuel or unleaded gas"

As for the older ones, the wisdom of doing it in daily life is highly contentious and infinitely debated without resolve. My takeaway is that it's "doable but suboptimal". There's something called a generator that clogs up and you need to clean it more, and in fact may want to have a spare around.

But for SHTF it sounds like a no brainer. probably good to do some research first, if you're planning it as a prep.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

BennyMG1

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 08:47:04 AM »
Insofar as the Dual Fuel stoves. I've used one for years but have only used unleaded fuel in it once and it worked fine. There is not much difference in the flammability between naptha and unleaded gas. I remember when you could get the "camp fuel" at the gas station.....they called it white gas unless you were old school and called it naptha. If you have a Dual Fuel stove and plan to burn unleaded gas in it, you need to be sure to stock up on spare generators since they will foul faster with the unleaded gas. Of course it's always good to keep spare generators for them since they aren't really readily available in hardware or sporting good stores any more. (It seems like I might have seen some at Bass Pro several years ago.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal