Author Topic: A power source from an old timer  (Read 2245 times)

Wabbit

A power source from an old timer
« on: October 11, 2016, 07:58:00 PM »
It's amazing what you can learn from people who lived during the olden days when electricity was not readily available in rural areas.
(1)  My ram pump has been working like a charm until the creek got low due to drought but it watered animals  and garden for free (other than initial cost to build if you cannot find one or have super friends)  Or about $150 for parts from another friend who started from scratch.
Today I learned about:
(2) Carbide lamps & heat!   Calcium chloride (rock salt) has many uses but one not listed on here  http://www.calciumchloride.com/market.shtml is ELECTRICITY.   Yeap--Before electricity, you had a metal tank  and filled with water.  You added small amount of CC (will check into exact amount) which has acetalyne (& methane) as by products  & piped it into house for heat or to run electrical things....not sure how that part worked.  They even had small versions for lamps.   These produce twice the light of candles  Guy said formula he used lasted 6 months with 100 gal tank.  Anyway..... here is history for those interested.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbide_lamp  Side note--Rock salt for ice melting has extenders which may or may not affect the performs.   I think I will try to make one of these.

"Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is NOT out there to kill you. "  (Mel Gibson~Conspiracy Theory)

wiseguy

Re: A power source from an old timer
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 04:55:30 PM »
It's amazing what you can learn from people who lived during the olden days when electricity was not readily available in rural areas.
(1)  My ram pump has been working like a charm until the creek got low due to drought but it watered animals  and garden for free (other than initial cost to build if you cannot find one or have super friends)  Or about $150 for parts from another friend who started from scratch.
How much vertical height can you move water with a ram pump.  In my case the creek is down a hill and I would have about 25 feet of vertical height to rise up over 70 feet horizontal distance.

RevJammer

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 05:08:24 PM »
You should check out Wranglerstar on youtube...  when you find his channel...  search ram pump...  he has several videos on them...   does pretty amazing work with them actually....

RJ

nj_m715

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 07:15:34 PM »
it depends, mostly on how much head you can build and a bit on the design. A slower cycle gives more lift because it increases the ram effect at the cost of lower volume. I think most guys are getting 5X-10X head to lift ratio.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal