Author Topic: Microwave Faraday cage  (Read 2163 times)

tlwagg

Microwave Faraday cage
« on: February 03, 2017, 02:24:12 PM »
I've been do thinking of making an ammo can Faraday cage but am getting mixed messages on whether or not they work. I did see someone mention using a old microwave. What are your thoughts on using a microwave? We have one or the big old ones, (we are storing a few things in), that weights a ton so it should have some good shielding.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

SS-Preppers

Re: Microwave Faraday cage
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 02:42:00 PM »
I don't know for certain, but it sounds feasible to me..........a microwave is designed to contain the electromagnetic radiation that a microwave produces, so I would assume the reverse would be applicable and it would block possible all or most of the 4 different forms of EMPs ( Electric field, Magnetic field, Electromagnetic radiation & Electrical conduction).........that's about all I can remember about EMPs.......I guess I should add that to the list of things to study up on.......it's not if, but when we get hit by one (again).......Google Carrington Event if you are not already familiar.

Lilburner

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 06:17:13 PM »
Put your cell phone inside. Call it and see if it rings.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Country Singer

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 07:30:48 PM »
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2023, 06:02:22 PM »
An earth-facing CME event of great enough size would take down all electronics and communications like an EMP

The March 12, 2023 CME event was actually much larger than the 1859 Carrington burst. Early estimates point to the explosion being 10 to 100 times more powerful than the Carrington event, though, again, it occurred facing away from earth rather than towards it.

Had it occurred towards the earth, millions, if not billions, of people would have died. Is it possible for another such CME event to occur in the future that points towards earth rather than away from it, resulting in an end-of-the-world type of calamity?

https://dcdirtylaundry.com/earth-just-dodged-a-potentially-apocalyptic-level-solar-storm-are-we-safe/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal